What is the origin of that stupid soccer chant?

A lot of jealousy for the most popular sport in the world, soccer.

Oleeee ole ole ole, oleeee ole!

It started at the Mexico 1986 football World Cup. The fans would sing olé if the team was doing well. Ireland qualified for the World Cup for the first time at the next tournament in Italy in 1990 and their fans picked up on it ahead of that tournament. The fans would sing it at games and loads of novelty songs were written including Put Em Under Pressure that Pendred walked out to tonight (that was made by Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton from U2 by the way) It has kind of become a go-to anthem for Irish people now, we seem to sing it at every sporting event. Phone Post 3.0

Put Em Under Pressure was a famous phrase uttered by Jack Charlton the-then manager of the Ireland football team who became a bit of a cult figure. It also features a sample from An Dearg Doom from hugely influential Irish band The Horslips. There would be no Thin Lizzy or Rory Gallagher without them. Phone Post 3.0

Hadouken -

Europian fans > American fans in every way possible.

European>Europian. Phone Post 3.0

In any thread on the internet I can find someone invoking the "you have to have done in to be able to talk about it" fallacy. I just call it the internet fallacy. It's everywhere. And nobody ever calls anyone out on it, because they want to invoke the same fallacy in their next post on some other thread.

SRTGEO -
Hadouken -

Lol Phone Post 3.0

SRTGEO -
Hadouken -

Lol Phone Post 3.0

WARcabrinha15 - When the crowd ACTUALLY says Olé in unison instead of singing it during matches, it's because one of the teams is stringing together great passes and keeping possession and the other team can't get the ball back. Every pass leads to an olé from the supporting fans, the announcers will acknowledge the olés and even some rival fans chime in sarcastically to give their team shit for poor play. I guess it's just to appreciate good play.

The song itself, I have no idea. Sorry for the lack of insight. But you learned something new about Olé today though. Lol Phone Post 3.0
The origin of the chant is from the basque country in Spain. When Real sociedad won in 1982 the chant was "campeones campeones hobe hobe hobe". Its Basque for "champions champions we are the best." With time hobe was morphed into ole by the rest of Spain. Phone Post 3.0

Raider Fan > Soccer Fan Phone Post 3.0

myjawhurts - The chant started from the soccer World Cup Italia '90.
End of. Phone Post 3.0
But why do they keep doing it? Phone Post 3.0

1800champagne -
End of. Phone Post 3.0
Italia '90 was a weird watermark moment for Irish sport and society as a whole. It was the first time since independence that we had a sporting event that the whole country got involved in. The Ole chant stuck around afterwards as a kind of rallying call for the Irish football team, it has since moved over into other sports. Phone Post 3.0

In a weird way it is now the Irish equivalent of you guys chanting USA... USA... It makes no sense really but it is. Phone Post 3.0

Maldini2706 -
1800champagne -
End of. Phone Post 3.0
Italia '90 was a weird watermark moment for Irish sport and society as a whole. It was the first time since independence that we had a sporting event that the whole country got involved in. The Ole chant stuck around afterwards as a kind of rallying call for the Irish football team, it has since moved over into other sports. Phone Post 3.0
I posted on this. It's origin is 1982 when real sociedad in la liga won the championship. It's origin is basque. Check the previous page Phone Post 3.0

Weidman and Mendes have said explicitly they wish American fans had what it takes to bring it like the Europeans and Brazilians do.

Every other American fighter agrees.

Lift your game you yank lads, your fighters are awesome and deserve better from the crowd than they're getting.

it's been going on since Euro 88

The "Ole" chant originated in 1983 when, during an NWA wrestling event in a school gymnasium, Ole Anderson caught a basketball thrown into the ring by an unruly youth and proceeded to do 25 'keepy uppies" before performing an overhead kick which sent the ball screaming into the face of one Mr Richard Flair. Mr Flair, seeming unphased, took a few steps forward, mimicked the "whoooo" sound of the ball as it had flown at him, then collapsed face first and most likely died. From that date onwards, "Ole" had been chanted as a sign of hespect at any sporting even which has both balls and faces. Phone Post 3.0

No Surrender To The AKA - The "Ole" chant originated in 1983 when, during an NWA wrestling event in a school gymnasium, Ole Anderson caught a basketball thrown into the ring by an unruly youth and proceeded to do 25 'keepy uppies" before performing an overhead kick which sent the ball screaming into the face of one Mr Richard Flair. Mr Flair, seeming unphased, took a few steps forward, mimicked the "whoooo" sound of the ball as it had flown at him, then collapsed face first and most likely died. From that date onwards, "Ole" had been chanted as a sign of hespect at any sporting even which has both balls and faces. Phone Post 3.0
Glad someone saved this thread before Mr cobrihina humblebragged us into a living death Phone Post 3.0

It is a bit lame. Never chanting anything but three letters is lamer though.

Other country chants = 10X less moronic than "USA, USA!" Phone Post 3.0

ausgepicht - 
Andrew S - 
WARcabrinha15 - 
ausgepicht - Stupid and soccer are synonymous. It's also your answer.
Please tell me what sporting actvities or things in life that you have excelled at or even currently excel at?

And let me stop you first, mom's(my mom passed in 2011)/family/gf/gay jokes are ultra lame. So please, give me your best comeback. I'm waiting. Go ahead and lick the cheeto crumbs off your fingers before you respond back.

Any athlete is world class. With maybe the exception of curling or something equivalent to that, even they have to put in the work and man hours to be elite at what they do. Soccer players, while even though they do dive and sometimes fake injuries or fouls for strategic purposes, are some of the most elite athletes in the world. I don't get why it is super cool for 200 to 300 lb men to where pads and run into each other at full speed, risking permanent personal injuries for your pleasure. The athleticism of American football players is ultra impressive but the savagery is not. Fights are different and always will be. Fighting is something we have done since the beginning of mankind.

And lastly before you make a stupid America comment, I served in 2 tours of combat with the 2nd Battalion 50th Parachute Infantry Regiment out of Fort Bragg, NC.

I'm not attacking you at all but to call an elite sport like football/soccer stupid is like saying that you are a master at everything. Just isn't true and while American sports fans are starting to warm up to the idea of American soccer the sight of 47,620 people showing up to GILLETTE STADIUM, where one of the greatest NFL franchises plays, to see the men's national team play Haiti, means they must be doing something right. Men lie, women lie, numbers dont.

Hey but what do I know. I just joined last week. Since that is all you smart guys on the UG can mention when it comes to a new account. Phone Post 3.0

Wow. You really thought his quick nonsensical post was worth the effort of writing out this post? Do you really think you accomplished anything?

Hahahaha!

What a fucking loser to write all that shit out, like I'm going to read that garbage.

I don't need to post a join date - he embarrassed himself and did all the work.

That's how every single poster on every internet forum you lurk feels when they read your tripe.

You suck at posting. Suck at trolling. Suck at arguing. Suck at everything, come at me literarily fatty.