What is the right age to...

Yeah, tae kwon do parents are pretty bad sometimes! I once saw a father slap a 5 year old boy in the back of the head (not his son), for rooting for his brother (who was fighting the crazy father's son) at the Junior Olympics. The kid was crying, but not injured.

I think a lot of parents cant handle seeing their children in any kind of "fight-like" situation. They don't hold it together well.

bodybag, what???

The shorts! The TU* scarface shorts. Dont play cute with me!

Those kids looked like they were having a great time!

But none of you would object to Pee Wee football games?

Hundreds of kids get hurt really bad playing football at age 10 and 11 every year. When I was 11 someone had an asthma attack and died.

Everytime you allow your child to play any sport there runs the risk of injury.

So is there a difference?

Wrestling, TKD, Karate and the gammit of TMA's with protective gear is fine by me with regards to children competing.  However, full on MMA style matches with 4oz gloves and zero protective gear is not only a bad idea but it's going to leave some kid hurt very badly.  Kids bodies, although they can recover well and quickly in traumatic situations, are not conditioned for this type of physical abuse -- especially direct strikes to the head.  Big problems will come of this. 

These promoters need to be shut down immediately.  And as a parent, I would NEVER allow my child to compete in something like this.

Oh, and Hi RARA!        

Dawn Barnes Karate Kids

(2)[40] By Hong Kong Phooey

Nothing new. If you think about it, it's been going on since the dawn of man. Rites of passages in tribes, to kids armed in third world countries as ready to kill as any other grown man. Thailand kids fought to put food on the table, at the same age as these kids, in some cases against their parents wishes but the kids were their only money provider.

Canada, States, we're just conditioned differently, so a lot of us won't accept this. However the fact is in a recent study girls are hitting puberty at the age of 8.

What is disturbing btw? The fact that their kids? Kids are kids and they WILL fight. I did. Or is it the darkened stadium with adults watching them fight that is disturbing to you?

lemme guess, these kids' parents are fat ass slobs who dont train, and live their lives through their kids...this is pretty pathetic, i feel sorry 4 these kids, especially the kid who loses.

Little Warriors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it kinda fuct up. but "this is not sparta!!" thee agoge may say different.

I wouldn't let my kid do that at all. I think that kids are way too young to be doing that at there age.

... that being said kids play Pop Warner football at ages younger than that, and I believe that football is a way more violent contact sport than martial arts.

How many parents here let there kids play tackle football at an early age?

How many parents here let there kids play tackle football at an early age?

Or play any physical sports at a young age. We played Hockey and fought. I got in fights at that age anyway. Consensus on this board says No , I say why not ! I wish I was that good back then.

"by law base commanders are allowed to lower the legal drinking age of their soldiers if the base is in or within 50 miles of a country with a lower than 21 drinking age"

yeah ive heard of that, but it never happens. case in point, i was stationed in okinawa - drinking age there is 20. they would njp you faster then you could say 'thank you sire, may i have another" if you were caught drinking under 21.

its like those unwritten old school rules that somehow still stand today.

another example - i was stationed in camp lejeune,nc after oki. theres actually still a law in NC that allows you to take your wife to the courthouse, on a sunday, at noon, and beat her with a stick.

MissRARA -

I also coach High School Wrestling and just keeping those kids under control is a miracle...I love coaching and it gives the kids something to do and they do learn some life lessons. But MMA at 10 years old???? Crazy!!! I teach Jr High...Now that is a whole different story =)

www.FredHammer.com

Everyone here is commenting on the ethics of MMA with children. What people dont understand is the development of a human brain. The brain continues significantly growing until around 19 years old. For any child to take blows to the head during their teenage years (or earlier) is potential disaster. Ask a neurologist what the dangers are with children fighting MMA.

Im not concerned over any ethical issues. The people who say "kids will fight, so might as well have a supervisor" most likely never graduated high school. Take any introductory course in neurology to understand how brain development and cognition function. Then come back to this thread.

I'm not saying I dig it.

I'm just saying all sports are inherently dangerous.

Bar the doors shut and gas everyone inside.

comparing joint locks and punches/strikes to tackle football with pads is funny...i mean, extra chromosome denial funny.

That's fucked up. I do not approve.