what Judo throws work well in BJJ tournaments?

In your opinion/experience what JUDO throws work well in BJJ tournaments??

In to know..

I imagine osotogari and ippon senagi could be allowable. Phone Post 3.0

i think drop seo works well but of course you expose your back. Guys like macaco and saulo ribiero make it look effortless. Osotogari is less risky but i havent seen it much in BJJ tournaments.

the extremely low posture used by the light weights make traditional judo throws nearly impossible. Kouchi / kosoto can work. All throws can work but only if they are trying to take you down/not pull guard.

the extremely low posture used by the light weights make traditional judo throws nearly impossible. Kouchi / kosoto can work. All throws can work but only if they are trying to take you down/not pull guard.

Check out Seth Daniels and his outside foot sweeps Phone Post 3.0

ouchigari, kouchigari, kosotogari, all sorts of foot sweeps, kata garuma, drop seionage. I've had a lot of success with sasae tsurikomo ashi.

I also wish I had time to go back to judo...

I wish I had time to start judo in the first place when I was younger

this looks awesome even with the sound off

UKEWAZA (sacrifice throw)

Correctly done, you land in knee on belly or a very good place to pass guard.

Easy to set up, easy to execute. Everyone knows I'm going to do it, but very few can stop it. (I compete against the same guys a lot locally)

None. Just treat it like a street fight and pull guard. Phone Post 3.0

i am old school and believe that a real bjj practicioner should have some judo in his/her arsenal.

I've used several sacrifice throws successfully over the years from white to black like obi tori gaeshi and tani otoshi. Phone Post 3.0

All judo throws can work but I imagin that one would have to be careful with the throws that end up exposing the back after the throw. Phone Post 3.0

We got a purple belt who hits a beautiful cross grip tai o toshi to armbar.  Disclaimer is he's a high level judo black belt.  Ouchigari I've used in tournaments with low risk as well as haraigoshi.

Jimmy Pedro and Travis Stevens have a good dvd called the Takedown Blueprint that I recommend checking out. Phone Post 3.0

I really believe that any judo throw could work well if you were great at it, which requires a lot of practice.

The problem is that some forward throws put you at a fairly significant risk of losing position with any mistake.

Some throws also require much more work to get good at doing.

Lowest risk throws that I would work on would be foot sweeps and trips. These tend to be lower risk, but require great timing, some end up with you in the guard (o uchi gari).

I also really like various sacrifice throws, especially if you're predominately a guard player because that's where you'll end up when you miss the throw. Yoko tomoe nage and sumi gaeshi being great examples.

athsportsnutrition - Jimmy Pedro and Travis Stevens have a good dvd called the Takedown Blueprint that I recommend checking out. Phone Post 3.0

This is a tremendous resource I recommend very highly.

Given the crouched stance that you typically see, I particularly like sumi-gaeshi off the sleeve drag.

If you have lots of forward pressure but the opponent is low, a fake sweep to a tomoe-nage is nice, even if he stops the throw you have an arm bar or can enter into guard play easily.

If she shoots low hikikomi-gaeshi is great.

Once an opponent feels endangered by staying in a low stance and raises up, then more traditional entries like ouchi-gari and osoto-gari become far easier to hit.

honestly it will depend on you as the practitioner. And the reality is that you need to actually invest in really attending a judo dojo, just practicing a few moves here and there will not make you proficient. Guys like Saulo, Rodolfo, etc. have good judo as they are judo black belts who regularly trained that art in addition to their bjj, not just trying to rep what they think are proper mechanics of a move when in reality they are missing key pieces.

CanadianMMA94 - Check out Seth Daniels and his outside foot sweeps Phone Post 3.0

Foot Sweeps are good but it helps to have a fast surface like tatami. If it is a sticky mat, it requires good kazushi and timing. Phone Post