what Judo throws work well in BJJ tournaments?

Big fan of sumi gaeshi as the basis of my standup game since most people are kind of bent over. Step one way to defend there's a nice kouchi, step the other it's ouchi or even a shitty uchimata. posture up and try to make distance and there's an easy double leg Phone Post 3.0

How much judo is applicable to a moderate to decent BJJ wrestler? Kind of like the "how much BJJ is applicable to MMA" question.

With the crouched stance and leg grabs it changes the game a bit right? And with the potential to give up your back or get rolled over after a throw I would imagine a decent amount of judo would not be applicable.

Also, if you can't train judo a decent amount per week would it be better just to work your standard wrestling double/singles under hooks clinch takedowns etc. Phone Post 3.0

TexDeuce - How much judo is applicable to a moderate to decent BJJ wrestler? Kind of like the "how much BJJ is applicable to MMA" question.

With the crouched stance and leg grabs it changes the game a bit right? And with the potential to give up your back or get rolled over after a throw I would imagine a decent amount of judo would not be applicable.

Also, if you can't train judo a decent amount per week would it be better just to work your standard wrestling double/singles under hooks clinch takedowns etc. Phone Post 3.0

Gripping in bjj is laughable.  For the most part, it's taught as a "grab and do this" type of way.No science behind it.

You may learn about tie ups in wrestling but as far as gripping in a gi is concerned, wrestling is as useful as tits on a nun.

Now go to a good judo place where people actually know how to grip defensively and offensively and your mind will get blown. 

You'll get fucked up before you get thrown. It's so bad that you know you're going to get launched because you're so out of posture due to the gripping alone.

You can make the argument about judo throws exposing the back, but there is no doubt in my mind that judo's gripping strategies and execution is far superior than anything you'll learn in BJJ.

The best "gripper" that I have observed in the US is Takahashi head judo Sensei at Tenri in LA. If you watch his judo closely he reduces all his opponents to a state of helplessness and then uses his excellent throwing skills to finish them off. But it starts with his griping.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkTChZi7WA

Inoue.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrisnu5n7Qo

Uchi mata highlight.

JRS. Te best uchimata I obsevered in person was at the 2009 USA judo Senior Nationals Takhashi vs Daniel McCormick. Takahashi threw him twice with uchimata. But this video also shows how strong his gripping is against the US #1 220+ lb Champion. This is fight is in the Open division which Takahashi won. Beat a host of tough competitors.

If you could post it I would apprectiate it. Thanks,

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyOSq50CXvw

It is interesting how people don't pull up with the sleeve grip for uchi mata in competition. Inoue even pulled up on the sleeve in his demonstration, but not in competition.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=XguHf1Qdhqo

Inoue uchi mata highlight.

Appreciate the video posting, thanks. Inoue takes a behind the collar grip and pulls the head down. He had the most dynamic judo I have ever seen. Having watched Takahashi in person his griping is the best I have seen in getting the upper hand on his opponents.

Dang....I posted in this thread 5 years ago and I'm STILL working on that uchimata during randori.  LOL!  

NicolasExitBJJ - this looks awesome even with the sound off

Good stuff! Just remember that if you want to learn judo for Bjj, you should look for a Judo instructor who practice both so he will show the ones more fitted for bjj.

Thank you for bumping this thread. I have been looking for that Seth Daniels video for ages. That technique has worked for me well after seeing this video a few years ago. I wanted to rewatch the video but my google searches came up empty.

Anything off a russian 2 on 1.  Its easy to get the grips in a gi and very hard for them to get their arm back. 

Myself and my students have been very successful with the these throws adapted for BJJ (meaning that you are not landing in bad position) as follow:

Tomoe Nage

Morote Seoi Nage

Ko uchi gari (combo)

O uchi Gari (combo)

O soto Gari

O soto Otoshi (combo)

Sassae Tsuri Komi Ashi (combo)

(combo means it can be a set up for or combined with another throw)

I don't pull guard or encourage my students to pull. I tell them if they are gonna pull they better try to tomoe nage them first!