What makes a great chin? Could it be personality?

Why is that fighters with proven, amazing chins are notoriously eccentric?

Let's name a few.

The Diaz brothers- eccentric as fuck, basically thug ass, weed smoking triathletes (my kind of guys)

Roy Nelson- this mullet-headed fuck, Vegas bred, fat guy takes a shot like nobody else and kos guys: Eccentric? Check. 

Diego Sanchez- eccentric? Check.

There are shitloads of guys you could argue, for arguments sake, have great chins and are eccentric. 

Lots of guys get cracked, but some shake it off more than others. Does it not seem as if that when a guy is super confident, most of the time*, his chin holds up? 

What im saying is, is it possible that confidence plays an actual, physical component when getting punched? 

Or

is it purely physiological? Purely the way you're built that determines the chins ability? 

I don't know and neither do you, but tell me your opinion regardless. 

What you got? 

Skull caliber. Cranial grade.  A greater surface area absorbs impact better. Neck and Trapezius strength being next in importance. 

Neck strength and leg strength. Strong legs will make a huge difference and keep u standing when you get rocked and black out for a sec. Ex. Rda when eddie rocked him with 100 haymakers.

but imo the most important part is head movement and Rolling with the punches. This skill makes a lot of people like the diaz bros and frankie Edgar seem like they have super human chins. They do have solid chins but their ability to roll with the punches makes the difference and keeps them from getting koed.

if you don't move your head and stay on the center line in the pocket, I don't care how solid your chin is you will go nighty night with a big shot to the button. Unless your big country roy Nelson.

and then part of it is genetic. If you have a weak chin like a Brennan Schaub there's nothing you can do about it other then learn some sick ass head movement. 

I think it mostly comes down to awareness

God

They all drank lots of milk growing up.

Mark hunt isn't the most eccentric dude.

unless being and avid counter strike player in your 40s is eccentric

I am not saying l agree with you op....but Muhammad Ali had a great chin. Phone Post 3.0

Combination of physical attributes (big skull, strong neck) and endurance. Phone Post 3.0

bjtrashman - 

Why is that fighters with proven, amazing chins are notoriously eccentric?

Let's name a few.

The Diaz brothers- eccentric as fuck, basically thug ass, weed smoking triathletes (my kind of guys)

Roy Nelson- this mullet-headed fuck, Vegas bred, fat guy takes a shot like nobody else and kos guys: Eccentric? Check. 

Diego Sanchez- eccentric? Check.

There are shitloads of guys you could argue, for arguments sake, have great chins and are eccentric. 

Lots of guys get cracked, but some shake it off more than others. Does it not seem as if that when a guy is super confident, most of the time*, his chin holds up? 

What im saying is, is it possible that confidence plays an actual, physical component when getting punched? 

Or

is it purely physiological? Purely the way you're built that determines the chins ability? 

I don't know and neither do you, but tell me your opinion regardless. 

What you got? 

Beyond the cited physical and muscular aspectos, I think you're on to something. Voted up. I believe that a great chin holds up also because the guy is very confident that whatever comes he can take and he can dish it out much better, the old eat one to give one, but better shot. If you don't mind só much being hit in order to hit harder, you won't feel such a shock and be caught unaware and turn off the lights. The psychological status makes the brain functional way different.

give yourself little puinches to your jaw and notice how much your jaw moves

most people's jaws have some give and movement to the left and right

if youve ever punched a training partner, who is known for a good chin, in the jaw, you can feel very little to no movement in their jaws

Ego 

Girth Phone Post 3.0

Hands down the biggest faggot thread i've ever seen.

notsobigmike - I think personality does play a factor.

There are guys like Brock who just seem to fold the moment they start taking hard shots - that kind of thing naturally leads to a TKO.

Even Arlovski when he was really on the skids - it wasn't just his "chin," you could seem him start mentally shutting down once he started getting hit.

"folding" because you don't like getting hit has nothing to do with having a great chin. look how many clean shots brock took from carwin...

he didn't like taking those, but he took them.

this thread HAS to be a joke, btw.

grady -
notsobigmike - I think personality does play a factor.

There are guys like Brock who just seem to fold the moment they start taking hard shots - that kind of thing naturally leads to a TKO.

Even Arlovski when he was really on the skids - it wasn't just his "chin," you could seem him start mentally shutting down once he started getting hit.

"folding" because you don't like getting hit has nothing to do with having a great chin. look how many clean shots brock took from carwin...

he didn't like taking those, but he took them.

this thread HAS to be a joke, btw.

Not a joke. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that most people, in the know, agree that testosterone has something to do with a chins ability. We've seen a bunch of guys come off and their chins deteriorate. 

Now that doesn't have anything to do cranial structure, but it def helps them in one way or another. Yes, it could be the increased muscle mass or bone density, but it seems like more than that, at least to me. 

What im saying is, is it not possible that really believing you are the baddest motherfucker ever could, in one way or another, effect your ability to take a shot?

i don't know, I'm not saying you can one way or another, I'm just saying we don't really know how much mindset and positive thoughts really effect our brains. We don't really know shit about our brains, so who knows?  

BobSherob -

The majority arent lol, Hendo, Anderson, Frankie, nog... this guy pulled that out if his ass

Floyd"sPeehole -
BobSherob -

The majority arent lol, Hendo, Anderson, Frankie, nog... this guy pulled that out if his ass

Yeah, but you are missing my point.

what I'm saying is it purely physiological, or does, in one way or another, have something to do with mindset coupled with physical attributes? 

Those guys are all tough as nails with no quit in them, but if they never trained a day in their life and were raised by pussies, could they take a punch the same way? 

I'm not an expert in that area so this is just me talking out of my ass

Skull thickness and a strong neck play a role. Not taking the punch clean. If you're gonna get hit at least let it be on the forehead. Most granite chinned fighters have a big ass head. Jake LaMotta for example. If you struggle to make weight you get put out easier.

Having a good chin is so important at the highest level. You're gonna get hit I don't care how good you are defensively. You will get hit. Just try to keep it at a minimum. Phone Post 3.0

Everyone feels pain. Not everyone reacts to it the same. Some people cry out and look for an escape, others channel it and find strength.

Conditioning is the word of the day. Purely reactional

Dudes with big heads can take a harder shot though. Just saying.