What Motivates You To Train?

I'm glad this thread turned out the way it did... a lot of great examples.  So now I suppose it's my turn to share.  This is something few people know about me, even my close, every day friends.  As time goes by I often forget it myself because I am a normal athlete with no problems.  But, when I get frustrated I have to sometimes think of my childhood and be thankful that I can do what I do.

When I was ten years old I was run over by a drunk driver in his Ford 1/2 ton pick up truck (complete with bed cover on the back).  The front left side of the bumper hit me and sent me to the pavement.  The front wheels straddled me and the back rear left tire ran right over the middle of my back.  My injuries were insane... every rib was broken (yep, every one), my lungs were both punctured and collapsed, my liver and spleen had lacerations, internal bleeding in my stomach and my appendix was wrapped around my gallbladder.  Cool huh?  According to the trauma surgeon I was less than a minute away from that big mat in the sky.  Well, once I was stable I was not supposed to really ever do anything to physical again, ever.  Just grow up and be careful and try to have a normal and non-athletic life. 

But what people don't realize is that kids have an amazing tendancy to recover and beat the odds.  A kid's body is so strong.  And, I was lucky.  I grew up and recovered 100%.  Noone would ever know that I was a trauma victim if I didn't tell them.  I grew up to become a firefighter (7 years but not anymore), hence the name, The BLAZE, I was a two sport athlete in college and now I'm an MMA Fighter. 

I'm physically as normal as the next guy but I am often motivated by the fact that I was supposed to never do anything like this as an adult.  Add that with making my Wife, Daughter and family proud of me... and you've got some spirit alive in me.  Especially when I feel like doing nothing. 

So that's my motivation.  Thanks and sorry it was so long.             

The fear of being in a situation and not being able to defend myself. Growing up, always being smaller and shorter then everyone else, I knew I needed to create an edge for myself. You are always going to come across that one asshole at the club who drank to much and is all over your girl or trying to start trouble. I just want to know that I will be able to defend my family and loved ones if need be. That's my motivation, waking up everyday think I'm going to run into that asshole today, am I ready for him???

TTT to hear more

Used to train all through college and was in great shape. After graduation got a "good" job, dropped training and relocated to where the job was. Had a wife and 2 kids and figured I'd better "grow up". Lost myself in my job for a good 4 years working all day behind the computer and coming home and working all night behind the computer (with candy and chips to keep me company).

Became an extremely stressed out slouch and gained crazy lbs (drank a lot too). Finally went to the doctor b/c I just felt like crap every day for months. Doctor said for a relatively young guy your health is not all that good. You're overweight, got high cholesterol, high glucose and liver's not looking good.

I was like "shit!! this is not me! i'm turning into the type of person i said i'd never be when i was in school!" and immediately changed my diet and started running and training. Am even trying Muay Thai for the first time. I am also lowering work to 2nd in my priority list (Family and Health is tied for 1st). Needless to say my family is much happier. My new mindset is that if I'm truly good at my job then I should be able to be highly productive and finish my tasks within an 8-10 hour period and have a life after that.

So for me, motivation is being able to be a healthy and active father for my kids while they are young and eventually a healthy and active old man. Luckily all the conditions mentioned by the doctor can be reversed by diet, exercise, and not drinking so I am now extremely motivated to continue training. Also learning a new and fun sport like Muay Thai with a good instructor and group is extremely motivating! I haven't reached my goals yet but am definitely making great headway!

On a side note: I was under the wrong impression when I thought "growing up" meant dropping something I enjoyed. I have changed that mindset as well.

TTT

Every one around me used to think that I was incapable of doing anything right including my family, especially my brother. That gives me the rage that I need to push myself to be better and to prove them wrong. Another reason is to impress this particular girl. I also enjoy that great feeling after a tough stand-up sparring session, all the giving and taking beatings just makes me feel like I'm alive.

I'm with Renz on this one.

ego