When did Fedor go from "The Russian Experiment"...

When did Fedor go from "the Russian Experiment" to "The Last Emperor"?

I can only guess its a Japan thing.  Cant recall any former Russian/Soviet Union leaders refered to as "Emperor".

Emperors of Russia (1721 - 1917)

Last Russian Emperor

Nicholas II was an autocrat but a weak ruler. He was forced to abdicate in 1917. Nicholas is shown second from the left. Next to him are his four daughters: Tatiana, Olga, Marie, and Anastasia. At right is his hemophiliac son, Alexis. The family, including Nicholas’s wife, Alexandra (not pictured), was later killed by Bolsheviks.

Any idea why/when this switched and if Fedor even had anything to do with it?  Wonder if Zuffa has rights on "The Russian Experiment" from the Pride deal... 

I think "The Last Emperor" sucks btw...unless its refering to his status as the #1 Pride fighter in the history of the org.  Regardless it doesnt convey well with the general public, even die-hard fans (I would consider myself an MMA die hard).

i have a shirt with last emperor on it?

I imagine it's a reference to the fact he was the last ever Pride heavyweight champ.

In that context it's pretty cool name. The Russian Experiment is much better though.

The Russian Experiment was probably just used for one or two shows by Mauro because he had nothing else to call him. And it's not particularly good or original.

The Last Russian Emperor better conveys Fedor as the uncontested monarch of MMA. And it goes well with his operatic entrance music and eagle motif.

Funny, I just noticed this on Sherdog and was thrown off.

Pride referred to him as that as early as his first fight with Nogueira, so it's not because he was the last HW champ.

1:31 in.

Fedor vs Nogueira ×1 OP
Uploaded by torihada_man

Naughty Gorilla - Emperors of Russia (1721 - 1917)

Last Russian Emperor

Nicholas II was an autocrat but a weak ruler. He was forced to abdicate in 1917. Nicholas is shown second from the left. Next to him are his four daughters: Tatiana, Olga, Marie, and Anastasia. At right is his hemophiliac son, Alexis. The family, including Nicholas's wife, Alexandra (not pictured), was later killed by Bolsheviks.

I remember that story wasnt it rumored that the daughter Alexandra was not killed and that through the years several women claimed to be her?

"experiement" is too cliched and suggests steroid use.  The Last Emperor is better.

thiagosgirl

I stand corrected.

In that case the name sux!

;)

I read it was from being the last RINGS champ, so you were sort of right shin2chin

Great name!!

LOL!

The japanese named him The Emporer..because of his demeanor(respectful and stately) and that he never lost a fight.

I think Americans changed it to The Last Emporer.

Never heard him called the Russian Experiment. Whenever I've ever heard a nickname used, it's been the Last Emperor.

Mark Schultz was 'The Russian experiment' Moro dont know shit.

Sean Thompson - 
Naughty Gorilla - Emperors of Russia (1721 - 1917)

Last Russian Emperor

Nicholas II was an autocrat but a weak ruler. He was forced to abdicate in 1917. Nicholas is shown second from the left. Next to him are his four daughters: Tatiana, Olga, Marie, and Anastasia. At right is his hemophiliac son, Alexis. The family, including Nicholas's wife, Alexandra (not pictured), was later killed by Bolsheviks.

I remember that story wasnt it rumored that the daughter Alexandra was not killed and that through the years several women claimed to be her?

Found her bones in the end a short distance away from the others and dna proved it was her, didnt find them until recently though

Karelin = experiment
russian emporer? tzar, IMO

TrainJudo - Karelin = experiment
russian emporer? tzar, IMO

Ho i fucked up!! lol!! It's Karelin!!! My bad!!

a tsar is not the same as an emperor.

to state the obvious: Russia is a country with a proud history that has fallen on hard times.

Fedor is a symbol of greatness, and thus past glory.

so... Last Russian Emperor