Where to start? Forgivemy ignorance

I am seeking any sort of rudimentary information on strength training and nutrition. Listings of websites or books would be of a great help. Also any personal opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hers what you have to work with. I am 6'1" and roughly 215 i have a large frame and i am about 17 percent body fat. Most of my weight isz in my trunk and I have wide shoulders. I am looking for a workout that will increase strength and endurance. I would really like to LOSE weight to get to 199 for competition in MMA but am I kidding my myself? would it be unwise try to make 199? COuld I gain str and be that physically thin? I was a wrestler throughout high school and although I was around 180 lbs at the time i looked very thin and had this strange stick figure with big shoulders and giant head thing going on. Well i have rambled on too long now any info would be appreciated and I am sure i havent given enough info for a decisive answer, but thankyou for your time and energy to read this.

Peace to you and thanks,
ReiChugo

It's hard to tell what your ideal weight would be without even seeing you.You might want to give Scrapper's workouts a try. I think they'll give you what you're looking for as far as weight loss, endurance and strength.http://www.webfects.com/hea/routine.htm#

thanks for the link... its very appreciated.

peace
rei chugo

www.t-mag.com is a great site with PLENTY of info on ALL areas of training.

Also try www.deepsquatter.com they're a great page, but they also have a links page thsat will connect you to almost every top weight/nutriton site out there.

Thankyou all, this information will be of great help to me. Thanks all and fight well.

Peace and Hope
Rei chugo

Date: 24-Aug-99 | 10:43 AM

Okay... slowmo, this is kind of a different list from what everyone else is posting, but you did ask me specifically for weight-training info. So I put together something this morning... I know I'm leaving a lot of good stuff out, but this is my take, with a little thought, on it. I'm sure with more thought I'd include more stuff, but this is a multi-part post as it is.

Part I:

Stuart McRobert-The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight Training Technique. First off, you need better-than-good exercise form for productive weight training. It will get you stronger, safer, for longer, faster than bad form will. Outside of the Olympic lifts and their related movements, the best source for learning form is this book.

Stuart McRobert-Beyond Brawn. Again, outside of the Olympic lifts... this is the book on program design. It is very conservative/safety oriented, so you might want to go this route or be a little more daring than McRobert, but either way this is absolutely excellent foundational material. It's the single most comprehensive and sane book on weight training program design, and extrapolating from McRobert's focus (which is physique and strength development) to a sports-focus is easy to do. Some consider this book a bit of a 'dry' read, so it's not the most motivational book out there. But you can find motivation elsewhere. You need this book.

Brooks D. Kubik-Dinosaur Training. Less conservative than McRobert. You need this book too. It's a personal favorite. Highly motivational in style, somewhat tongue-in-cheek macho, which you may or may not like (I love it), but either way, tons of great info on program design, esp. valuable because you won't find a better source on power rack work, grip work, odd-object work, low-rep work, thick-bar work... Get this.

John D. McCallum-Keys to Progress. This book is written as short 'stories'. Originally magazine articles, gathered in book form. Definitely a bodybuilding focus, and I think the later articles are less great the early ones (he moves into things that are overtraining). Also a temptation when having it all at once to switch programs around too much. This was less of a problem with the articles only coming out serially... but this is classic stuff, very well written, highly motivational. Some people love it and find it's what gets them into lifting. For me it's not first-choice, like the above books, but a close second.

Paul Kelso-Powerlifting Basics, Texas Style. Written as stories, like the McCallum, but much shorter, easier to extract programs from. Very sane, good programs, good stories, well written, very concise... excellent book.

Bill Starr-The Strongest Shall Survive. Subtitled 'Strength Training for Football,' but has loads of good info that's more generalizable than that. Starr was a competitive weightlifter, so his programs are built around more cleans/pulls than much of the above books. Has good info on nutrition, supplementation, weight management etc. too.

Bill Starr-Defying Gravity. This is really about preparing for weightlifting contests, so may be less applicable for most forum members' needs, but again a classic book, and maybe the contest prep info will be generalizable to any kind of contest. I actually like this better than the previous Starr classic, but am in the minority there.

Okay, you really have to start with the first 3 books, IMO. But on to Olympic Lifting and Olympic 'movements': Note: the Kubik, Kelso, and Starr also all integrate olympic-pulls into their program design to a greater or lesser extent.

I think no book is ideal. There's a bigger technical component to these lifts, and without coaching they're a pain. The Kubik video, and the videos from IronMind will show more than a book can, so a video or two and a partner who's interested in watching you after watching the videos is a good idea. But I'll go on to books:

Arthur Drechsler-The Weightlifting Encyclopedia. It's huge, it's got tons of info on the lifts as well as exercise physiology, nutrition, concerns for different populations in lifting, etc. Check out excerpts at www.wlinfo.com. Awesome book, though a bit unwieldy. Drechsler is putting together instructional videos, too, but they're not done so I can't review them for you.

The David Webster books on the two lifts from IronMind-technical breakdown of the lifts; perhaps redundant in light of the Drechsler, but if you're obsessed....

Jim Murray-Weightlifting. Has what I consider a not-so-great section on bodybuilding exercises, but a good section on weightlifting for putting together programs. I think it's out of print, but findable.

Maybe domyancic or someone can help me out here... that's about all I can think of that's worthy. There's some really good stuff on the web, too. A guy named Dan Johns (who's site is a lot about catechism and theology, but has a lifting section!) and J.V. Askem are two guys who have GREAT info on Olympic lifting programs and movements. I can get the URL for you if you don't turn it up on a search (I've got 'em, just not conveniently as I type this).

On to more 'science' oriented things:

Mel Siff and Yuri Verkhoshansky-Supertraining. This is a 'bible' of sorts. It's big and unwieldy (not indexed), and is very science heavy. Geared toward training for specific sports purposes. An awesome book, but one that takes a lot of reading and pondering and just plain wading through. Not for someone who wants any clear, 'do this, then do that' instruction.

Vladimir M. Zatsiorski-Science and Practice of Strength Training. A book much like the above, though a shorter version. Both of these books, too, deal with elite athletes, so don't think all of it will apply to average folks. Twice a day weight training, 6 days a week, did wonders for the Bulgarian national team. It would kill most of us.

Charles Poliquin material: the most advertised publication, 'The Poliquin Principles' may be of some help. It's marketed kind of strangely (who needs all these pictures of 'roided up bodybuilders?) but Poliquin is very thoughtful, creative, knowledgeable... in terms of both exercise selection and program design. He also forgets not everyone is an elite athlete, and putting together programs is again not cookie-cutter with his stuff for those of us who aren't physically just freakishly talented, but it's not a difficult read at all, and there's plenty to put to use here. If you're someone good at extracting info from charts and little hints, his 'Current Trends in Strength Training' is maybe even better. Similar material as in Paul Chek Seminar's 'Sets, Loads, Repetitions' video training series, but that is WAY expensive...

A decent overview of periodized routines in Fleck and Kramer's 'Periodization Breakthrough!' It's simple enough... though this type of training is inherently more complicated than what you'll find in most of the above books. Makes sense when you're thinking contesnt-prep of any sort, because you cycle intensity in such a way to be ready on a certain date. They have a more comprehensive book on periodization, and Tudor Bompa has a bunch (he really is a key figure in this idea, though I personally can't stand to read his stuff).

Fleck and Kramer have another book, 'Designing Resistance Training Programs' that has tons of programs, some of which comport with the philosophies of McRobert/Kubik/Starr/Kelso et al, some of which don't. It is a 'food for thought' type of book, at least.

There are other books in all of the above categories that I like... but off the top of my head this is the best of the best stuff. There are also reprints of books from the 20s-50s that Bill Hinbern publishes that have great info, for example. For for most people's purposes, the first three books mentioned are an awesome library in themselves.

Ali

---------------------------------------------------------------

Richdoggydog... since that was my post originally, and it's old... I thought I'd add something.

I also think Pavel Tstatsouline's book is a great addition. It summarizes a bunch of the scientific info on neural recruitment and periodized training in very simple terms. The program itself is more geared toward a 'fitness' crowd than an athlete crowd, and is really meant for people who have sufficient weights at home... but the info in it is very good and translatable to different needs than those which it addresses most specifically. I can't wait till his big tome on powerlifting comes out... if it ever does. A very good book... but obviously I don't think any one book covers everything, so it depends on your needs.

SCRAPPER's workouts are now found at www.trainforstrength.com

thanks all this list is amazing... sorry i havent responded earlier but i have worked 22 hours in the last 2 days... thanks all this is an amazing amount of info.
peace and hope
rei chugo