Who even wants to be an MMA fighter nowadays?

Lol

I think 4-5 years in a trade should apply there too. A lot of bachelors degrees aren’t anything but a foot in the door to crappy entry level positions or internships. Plus you can train pretty much full time depending what you do. It’s not like welding or electrician work is going to keep you out of the gym.

1 Like

Doesn’t Sean O’Malley make $$$$$ from Twitch? UFC is like a side gig for him. Luke rockhold is a model with a big contract, Iaquinta is a real estate agent. They can afford to wait for the big fights.

That’s what fighters need to do nowadays.

Yeah events every week with watered down cards dropped the interest, WMMA is basically smoke break unless the best women are fighting.

For sure ,idc if it’s trade school or college . He just needs a back up plan for when fighting is over . I’m 33 back in school to finish my degree. I don’t want him to be like me.

MMA is not bigger than ever.

The UFC is.

Half the fans cannot even name who is going to be on what card.

Paul made $ cause he’s famous.
If the guys from *NSYNC faced the Backstreet Boys in boxing ppv matches it would be huge.
Paul has nothing to do with the ufc or mma. Strange that people like francis & costa don’t get this.
If they had the fame that Paul does then of course they shouldn’t be in the ufc.
Paul isnt in the ufc cause he’s make less.
Francis is in the ufc cause he’s not on YouTube & frankly he’s one of the worst interview in mma.
We will see more n more celebrity boxing.
Maybe WWE starts settling beefs.
If I was famous I’d try to find another famous guy to make millions fighting.
Ultimately there will be celebrity mma which will be a way more entertaining trainwreck

I wish this WASN’T true…

You are right. I mean with PFL, Bellator, and One FC all on major networks how could I forget MMA isn’t growing just UFC.

Not to mention all the other cards on UFC Fight Pass. More leagues have exposure.

Tv exposure doesn’t mean anything like it used to. There are people under 18 who have probably never sat down and watched a traditional scheduled tv broadcast.

The ratings cable does are a fraction of what they were even 15 years ago.

2 Likes

20 years ago there was one game in town…the UFC. Look at all the major promotions nowadays. To think MMA isn’t growing is crazy. Just because the cards are watered down doesn’t mean it’s less popular it means there are more fighters.

Back in the day when I started training BJJ, we asked our coach why he didn’t want to go into MMA. He was a BJJ ace (had legit creds for an American at the time), and it seemed a logical progression in our minds.

He stated that it required a certain type of person/ego to want to do it. As the money just wasn’t any good. It made no sense to take that sort of punishment for a skimpy reward.

The money has gotten better since then for sure, but it’s still not great. But then this is true for a lot of professional athletes. Most of them aren’t going to make it to the pros/pinnacle of the sport and cash in. Heck, even if you’re an olympic medalist, you’re not guaranteed any sort of big money.

In the old days, it wasn’t about money.

1 Like

Ask the average person about MMA and they will say, “Oh, the UFC?”

The talent in the UFC is far diminished now.

It’s called marketing.

There’s a reason why so many people call tissues Kleenex or Lip Balm ChapStick, yet that doesn’t mean those industries aren’t prospering.

Choosing MMA as a career is a dumb choice for several reasons.

1 Like

Absolute nonsense.

The UFC has as many fighters in one single division as they once did in the entire organization. Watered down cards are far more due to frequency, not lack of talent. If they put on as many cards a year as they did 20+ years ago, cards would be absolutely stacked with numerous title fights each time.

1 Like