Who has done CROSSFIT?

I just started last week, doing Crossfit 3 days a week and i am always sore. It has been since high school (2000) that I have down low rep cleans and push press. Who has gotten good results with it? I am going to stick with it for a while and see what happens.

cleans and push press? is it just olympic lifting? I do it all the time, actually my whole life. youll get great results. Add in some deep squats.

I wouldnt leave out benches though.

I am doing Crossfit 3x a week. I have a background in doing mostly bodyweight conditioning and barbell complexes....and i have noticed that i can spar alot longer but i am also very weak, so I hope Crossfit can just make me more powerful. I been training mma since 2000, brown belt killer...soon to be black belt killer.

if you are doing push presses and cleans they are great for power. dont forget squats and benches though. always good to be all around strong and not have any weak spots.

but it sounds like great stuff man and youre on your way to explosive power.

also look into the snatch, its another olympic lift that is great. not as crucial as a power clean if you can only choose one, but if you have the time. they are wonderful.

congrats on the brown belt btw.

CrossFit is not a good complimentary program for sports. Too much ass-backward conditioning and terrible strength programming. If you are an athlete look to a better source of info.

If you are just a dude do whatever you want. At least there are plenty of hot skanks throwing pussy around at CrossFit gyms.

^correct

TOM666 - CrossFit is not a good complimentary program for sports. Too much ass-backward conditioning and terrible strength programming. If you are an athlete look to a better source of info.

If you are just a dude do whatever you want. At least there are plenty of hot skanks throwing pussy around at CrossFit gyms.

I agree, Crossfit tends to wear people out and really isn't that great of a program. S&C training is essential especially for any serious athlete, but the goals of S&C should be to identify strengths & weaknesses and then work on developing and eventually eliminating your weaknesses and building your overall work capacity. You may be able to increase overall work capacity through Cross-Fit, but more often than not, your weaknesses will still most likely remain.

Well for the last 6 months I've witnessed 7 to 8 Buccanneers train crossfit 4 days a week and loving it.Now watching them perform in preseason they are wrecking people,so if that is'nt proof what is.And a few Lightining players have signed up saying they've gotten the word about crossfit,I think good crossfit trainers can dial in and improve these athletes games.I have more professional athletes that work with us who have improved in there sports.Drama should be killed!!Just statin facts,we love crossfit and if applied correctly for your sport you will improve

I know crossfit gets hated on however if it weren't for that I would not have been exposed to deadlifting, front/back/overhead squats, olympic lifts, etc. I'm also in the best GPP shape of my life, my stamina in bjj has improved remarkably which has stepped my game up another level. I gotta say i love crossfit too, just make sure you find a qualified trainer for your lifting.

Crossfit is okay. However - complementary to another sport it really does not work well.

We've had a lot of athletes have success using CF to build up their strength and conditioning - triathletes, marathon runners, martial artists, soccer players, etc.

CF is a tool - it can be used well or poorly, it can be taught well or poorly. Used properly and with your personal goals in mind, you can accomplish a lot with it.

Assuming you're getting good instruction, you have to take a look at the programming your 3 days a week are landing on.

You may be missing some of the strength and power WODs just by virtue of timing.

As far as soreness, just like with BJJ your body will adapt to the volume of training you're doing. In the meantime, scale slowly and be sure to listen to your body as it pertains to rest and off-days.

You could also look into Crossfit Football. Their WOD's have a distinct focus on strength and acknowledge the fact that exertion will be taking place in short, timed intervals.

actionnotwords,

Using any elite athlete as proof that a certain program is the best is a mistake for a number of reasons.

I doubt that any pro football player would use CF as their only system of training. All pro teams have their own programs in-house. CF by it's own definition is a GPP plan. Elite athletes need SPP except perhaps in the off season.

Just my thoughts.

TAKU T.N.T.

www.blackjackfitness.com

The problem with crossfit is that it's primarly focused on lactic endurance with some ME work thrown in. There are a only few sport where this is a good plan (but not necessarily best).

I think it's pretty good for pure grappling sports, but falls way short for MMA/Boxing/Thai, team sports and track & field.

I can also see endurance athletes (runners, tri) benefiting from some strength training and lactic work -- as long as they don't take xfit more seriously than training their sport it won't hurt their endurance.

let me know if i am wrong in saying this. . .

but Crossfit does not have any kind of periodization or program design.

It is just (literally) random routines, although tough, done 3 days on, 1 day off.

Its a cool concept to put on a website and all, but doesn't a serious athlete need periodization, stages, and a plan to guide his overall progress?

I think it is great. But since I do so much rolling and Judo, you have to ntaper the WODs. I also think for BJJ/MMA/Judo Crossfit Strength Bias is a bit better.

I think sometimes people are really into crossfit and that is great. But I only like the resultsss. if that means I have to do 10 minutes instead of 20 so I can roll later, that is what I do.

Crossfit never claimed to be sport specific. I think it has helped me strenghten some weak spots though. VGymnastics is not only fun but that has helped me a lot also

elgringo - let me know if i am wrong in saying this. . .

but Crossfit does not have any kind of periodization or program design.

It is just (literally) random routines, although tough, done 3 days on, 1 day off.

Its a cool concept to put on a website and all, but doesn't a serious athlete need periodization, stages, and a plan to guide his overall progress?

The idea of CrossFit is that it is "seemingly" random. It is not actually random. At my gym we plan our workouts in three week chunks with requirements on what needs to be covered in those three weeks and various progressions that we are working on.

The WOD is a bad example if you're looking for periodization or some sort of progression. My understanding is that it is the responsibility of each person (assuming you're just doing them on your own) to scale the workout down to fit your current level of fitness and then increase over time until you can do the workout as listed on the website.

Once you can get through each of the workouts without scaling down the reps or weight, then you try to improve the time. If the weights feel too light, you increase past the prescribed weights.

On the max effort days (or days of just triples/doubles/singles) you pick your own weights. It's not periodization in the traditional sense, but they definitely have a means of progression built into the program.

They laid all this out on their website somewhere, but I don't recall where or when (I read it some number of years ago when I tried crossfit). It's a neat program, but I find I do better on more abbreviated training plans when I am simultaneously trying to put in a lot of time on the mat or at the (MMA) gym.

I have been doing them for 2 weeks and i am constantly sore. I am going to continue to train Crossfit for another 6 weeks or so. My main goal is leg power and overall power, so all the ground based lifting really hits my weaknesses so i believe it is a great system for me.