who has trained in thailand?

doyou- thanks. did you train in bangkok or pattaya?

and much did you spend there with training/living per month, roughly? thanks

ttt

qazzaq,

You didn't ask me but I just finished doing my budget for the next three months. so,

5,500 - Rent

1,000 - Utilities

1,500 - Transportation

3,600 - Food

-----------------

11,600 Baht -or-

$300 USD per month.

MT and misc. entertainment expenses not included

Obviously I'm living on the cheap (busses and boats in stead of taxis) but am still VERY comfortable. Just wanted to show how cheap it can be.

jesada, thanks for the reply. where abouts are you living? and are you training over there?

Tiger muaythai in Phuket near karon Beach has three rings, tons of bags and a cage. Awesome thai trainers from Bangkok. www.tigermuaythai.com I was there in August, great time.

pfranchi thanks, thats the place im leaning towards right now. i would train in bangkok or in one of the gyms in-land that have been mentioned/recommended above.. but phuket looks like an awesome place and i want to do a little vacationing when im there.. even if its just sittin on a beach each sunday afternoon.

Sawasdee,

In response to guest complaining about TMT and Phuket in a previous post:

WE have 3 Muay Thai rings + MMA cage and 12 Thai trainers of which 6 are former champions and all with 150+ fights.
What foreign guests need to remember is that being a great fighter doesn't make you a great trainer.
I stand by our training and trainers which give 100% to our guests 2 X everyday.

Now on to some specific issues:
Yes, we have "family style bungalows" @ the camp that can accommodate 2-3 people comfortably. We apologize if a previous guest was not able to stay in Bungalow because it was already booked.

TMT is located near Phuket Spa which services the guests of our camp. Has two big jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, swimming pool, and fantastic massage @ great prices. 300 baht = pool, sauna, steam, jacuzzi, and 2 hour massage....try and beat that. This is a popular spot for our guests.

BTW: Fairtex is not in Bangkok but rather in Bang pee which is way a good 30-45 minute drive from Sukumvhit Rd. and airport. And there is nothing in Bang pee. Try and go into Bangkok with a motorbike from there. Great camp, but not in middle of Bangkok and you will need transportation or die of boredom when not training.

TMT is located in Chalong. Chalong is one of the most conveinant spots on the island and is close to everything, except Patong which is where guests who want to party and not train go. We are located within 4km of 3-4 of Phuket's best beaches, Shopping centers, and there are about 100 restaurants in Chalong area. Affordable food is not hard to find.

Yes, most guests will need a motorbike for transportation no matter where you are staying in Phuket, as it clearly states on website. We also give you prices for taxi, bus, and tuk-tuks.

Yes, We have a full MMA program run by Daniel Sainty (That Australian Chap)and (he is still here) and Gaz Roriston from Cage Rage in U.K. Alex reid is also a fighter / instructor @ camp. We have MMA professionals from all the major organizations that come here to train Muay Thai and MMA.

Out training program is run by one of the most respected trainers in Thailand. Ajarn Mac has trained and fought Muay Thai for 40 years. He has trained multiple Lumpinee and Raja champions @ several of Bangkoks most prestigious gyms. He is in charge of our program and training everyday @ camp.
If a guest has a complaint about training here @ TMT, it is usually because it is too hard.

As for being a "tourist or foreign camp," yes, most of our guests are foreigners because all the Thai are trainers and fighters. When you fly half way around the world, you want some customer service, nice place to stay, friendly staff, and good training. All of the above can be found @ www.tigermuaythai.com

For more info, guests are welcome to use our message board to get info and advice from guests that have visited and trained @ our camp.

Phuket has several good camps. Rawai and Phuket Muay Thai are also good camps with qualified trainers and staff that can help you. Phuket has now become the #1 spot to live and train Muay Thai in Thailand.

Hope this clears up some of the questions for anyone looking @ training @ any camp in Thailand.

If anyone has any specific questions, I would be happy to answer @ bigmac@tigermuaythai.com

Cheers and good training

Will
Tiger Muay Thai & MMA Training center, Phuket, Thailand

qazzaq,

I live in Pin Klao, a suburb of Bangkok. I was really jazzed about going to Kaewsamrit gym but it is somewhat farther from my work than i hoped (just figured out where it is on google earth-have the lat/long if anyone wants it)

I'm going to try to find Jocky's Gym next week. I'll see how that goes. I'll be here (assuming they don't start throwing all the farang out of the country) for about 8 more months and will definately be training as much as i can (so long as it doesn't disturb my research).

"it is like saying that training soccer with Barcelona is shit because they buy players from other clubs"

EXACTLY! TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUTTA MY MOUTH.

I'll be at Pattaya 1st week of Dec might be too late for you but I'll take some pictures and write a review for you.

I'm going to be training in Thailand for a month in July of next year also, so I wanna check out Fairtex for a week first.

i cant remember the exact cost and i think it may have changed slightly after the redevelopement work, it was in bangkok though - the bangplee camp

I am training at Fairtex in Pattaya right now and I love it. Right now all 5 of their top guys are training at Pattay right now including Yodasenklai and Kaew.

The trainers are legit and will give you real non tourist Thai training if that is what you want and are capale of doing. The price is not so bad, 235 a week including training twice a day, 2 good meals a day, a nice hotel style room with Air Con, refrigerator and private bathroom, and use of the other facilities on the resort such as the weight and fitness center which is top notch, an Olympic sized pool, and other activities on campus as well.

I don't get why people want to still go to the "cheaper" camps to get a more "authentic" training. You'll get the same training, however you will be sleeping in the jungle and shitting in a hole.

I love the training here, the one on one training, watching the champs train and the overall experience. I would say it's worth way more than I paid to be here.

ttt

WENT WITH A REAL THAIFIGHTER WOW I HAVE BEN FROM JAPAN TO KORA THIS WAS A REAL TREAT NEVER HAS I SEEN SO MUCH
DEDICATION LOVED IT WOW
ANDY

"I don't get why people want to still go to the "cheaper" camps to get a more "authentic" training. You'll get the same training, however you will be sleeping in the jungle and shitting in a hole."

Because the people who wish for "authentic" training usually live there for 6-8 months and frequently fight there. And paying 235 a week for that would require a fortune. Especially considering you get the same level of training at almost all the serious gyms

FearMir, take a bunch of pics and write a good review when you get back, if you would be so kind. What was good / bad, what you wish you had known, tips for someone else headed there etc. It would be mucho appreciated!

"Because the people who wish for "authentic" training usually live there for 6-8 months and frequently fight there. And paying 235 a week for that would require a fortune. Especially considering you get the same level of training at almost all the serious gyms "

True enough, but I read a lot on here about people wanting to go for a few weeks or a month and if thats all you are going to come here for, pretty much no gym is really going to dedicate the time and effort to give you a real "authentic" training especially when you are only paying what amounts a a round of drinks back home to live, train and eat there on a weekly basis.

You can get a good discount if you are willing to live there for a month or more at a time.

"I've been wanting to go for a long time just for the experience of training in a legit Thai camp. If I were to go I'd never go to the camps specializing in foreigners. Whats the point of going to Thailand to train when you'll be surrounded by people just like you? I'd bet the instruction would be pretty watered down as well.
Since I'm Filipino, I'd just go to Thailand and pretend to be a mute Thai native and train in a real Thai camp since I wouldn't know how the traditional camps would accept a foreigner. "

I just caught this, and good luck with that plan bro, I hope you were kidding. At a passing glance or maybe in a nightclub with low light, a thai might mistake you for a thai, but you won't be fooling anyone. Plus it's one thing to pretend to be mute and not talk back, but not being able to understand them when they speak to you in thai would give you away completely. Not to mention that the serious training thais would have started out as young children or early teens. But again, good luck with that.

FearMir
Can you drop me an email rpmontana@hotmail.com
Thanks!

sent