who has trained in thailand?

Hey qazzaq

There are a ton of newbies at tigermuaythai.com, as well as some more advanced guys

I believe Alex Reid, mma guy from the UK is there now

And you get a ton of 1 on 1 training from the Thai instructors there

Not trying to oversell the place, I just really dug it last time I was there

Having the option to grapple was good too with the cage they have, plus a few of the Thai guys are always good for a roll, couple of them there are super keen on learning mma

mark dellagrotte's info: http://sityodtong.com/ sityodtong in thailand is located in pattaya,about 2 hrs south of bangkok by bus...the training there is top notch,they have pro fighters and newbies,and everything in between...

okay. thanks a lot for the info/advice.

'Fairtex has bought most of their fighters. I would say you are correct in that its a good gym although very overpriced for beginners. But there are better and cheaper gyms. And personally i find it hard to concentrate on fighting at a luxury resort :=) '

I know what you mean about buying fighters in. I was wondering if you could tell me about some better gyms, because i may check them out.

And pattaya is the luxury resort, bangplee certainly isnt that! :)

qazzaq- i wasnt happy with it, and neither were some other guys. You do get one on one time with thais. I heard sityodthong was excellent.

What you get out of training there varies a lot! Depends on whether the coaches like you, whether you want to fight or not, whether you're already somewhat skilled or not, how much you want to pay, how much heart and dedication you show and so on and so forth.

It's not like you can just go anywhere in Thailand and get excellent training. On average, though, there are plenty of possibilites for getting good instruction.

ok. thanks everyone for the feedback

I've always been curious about this, i've been wanting to go to thailand half because my standup needs serious work, and half because it seems like a cool place and i've never really been outside of western civilization (lots of travelling within europe/america though).

BUT! How is the training? It seems very traditional, in the sense that you do a LOT of brute conditionin (jogging), bunch of kicking/punching bag and a good amount of clinching, but very little sparring. I can't help but think that the reason they have so many great fighters is more because of the sheer number of students (more likely to find that phenom), then the training methods, and that your time would be better spent in a great western boxing gym or perhaps in the Netherlands if you want to get good at standup.

I think Thaiboxing in Thailand is the best because you train so damn much. You're in a Thaiboxing mindset all the time. You get up, put on your thaishorts and then it's just training all day with breaks for just eating and sleeping.

I remember putting in about 5-8 hours per day in the gym and then we went to watch Thaiboxing at the stadiums at night.

And there was quite a bit of sparring and padwork, so you do learn a lot. I haven't been anywhere else with quite so much technical knowledge as Bangkok.

If you're a heavyweight, though, it's probably good to visit Holland for sparring as the guys in Thailand are small. Heavyweight is like -76 kg :-)

ttt

i reccomend the sithpodymonytong gym in ladeeboi province

sweet i'm a heavyweight i thailand!

We'll see though, i really do want to spend like 6 months somewhere learning striking better, but it's far away rigtht now since i'm pretty busy the next 1-2 years

Dude... I went to tiger muaythai in Phuket and their camp was dissapointing, the website was all lies.

scwop, can you elaborate.. at this point that was maybe the number one place i was leaning towards going to. what about the website is all lies?

i spend one month in ubon ratchathany at legacy gym oleg laursen owns that gym and he has some hardcore coaches there that makes you train very hard one of them had more than 200 fights and beated the champiom at his time,he also has a very good boxing coach that is a former wbc champiom and comes from the same gym as manny pacquiao in philipines

Ok...

First of all the Bungalow's are not great and the special house that is available doesn't really exist, 2nd the place is in an area called chalong which is in the middle of nowhere and if you don't have a scooter you're totally stuck... and that sucks ass. The availability of food is soo limited as well. There is no gym with a hot tub near like they say, and there is no beach that you run on, or nearby. The trainers are all very nice but they do the same stuff over and over and it gets boring. The best thing about the place is this aussie kid who's there that is a wicked submission teacher, he may not be there anymore though. If you do decide to go i'd just rent a house when i get there, it's cheaper and better. I don't mean to trash the place, but I hear Faitex is better in every aspect but price. I'm going to check out the Pattaya one. If you want to know anymore just ask.

Cheers

Ok...

First of all the Bungalow's are not great and the special house that is available doesn't really exist, 2nd the place is in an area called chalong which is in the middle of nowhere and if you don't have a scooter you're totally stuck... and that sucks ass. The availability of food is soo limited as well. There is no gym with a hot tub near like they say, and there is no beach that you run on, or nearby. The trainers are all very nice but they do the same stuff over and over and it gets boring. The best thing about the place is this aussie kid who's there that is a wicked submission teacher, he may not be there anymore though. If you do decide to go i'd just rent a house when i get there, it's cheaper and better. I don't mean to trash the place, but I hear Faitex is better in every aspect but price. I'm going to check out the Pattaya one. If you want to know anymore just ask.

Cheers

thanks a lot for the info. I guess the only two other questions I have is 1)did your thai boxing improve in going there? and 2) you say chalong is in the middle of nowhere, is it at least close enough to kata and karon beaches to ride to with a bicycle? thanks again

training at fairtex was brilliant when i was there, and that was before the redevelopment. Buying trainers and fighters takes nothing away from the skill level of those fighters, it is like saying that training soccer with Barcelona is shit because they buy players from other clubs. If you get to train one on one with Apidjet and Nungsiam fairtex as well as having champions training alongside you what more could you ask for? - plus a lot of the thais there speak english and are very sociable and friendly even if they dont. My trainer Portae was brilliant the entire time, and there was a good bond of friendship there. He didnt just treat me like another tourist but took as much interest in my progress as he did in the thais under his watch which you will not get in most camps from what i have heard.

They organise nights out including fight nights where you watch your friends from the camp fight and you will get ringside seats and treated like a vip if you are with the fairtex guys. Also we had small optional weekend breaks to visit other gyms, see the sights etc and the younger guys will take you to clubs you wouldnt be able to get into as a fahlang normally if you ask them. Its close enough to BK to get there if you want an evening out, but not close enough to lure you from training. I cant reccommend it enough and think that people should not judge the camp because they see it as commercial unless they have been there themselves. I stayed for 3 months. Some of the best 3 months of my life.

ttt