Who's Rolled with Rickson Gracie?

jIUjITSUhunter - Yes, 185's only right now.  If this show takes off Rigan said he'll do another in a different weight class.

i have when i was like 10 and i tapped him out, but he let me

Come on guys! Anyone who has ever watched more than 2 episodes of TUF will know that the myth of Rickson Gracie is based solely on a conspiracy of a load of world class bjj black belts who have had some kinda of jedi mind trick played on them, so that they can perpetuate this ridiculous notion that Ricksons jiu jitsu is the best in the world.We all know he hasnt competed over recent years so we can assume that his bjj isnt world class!!!! DUH!

People still talk shit about Rickson who have never trained with him, or spoken to any of the numerous world class bjjers and mma fighters (from other teams) including fabio gurgel and paulo filho on his incredible understading of the art of jiu jitsu.

There are many great bjjers like Rickson and Liborio who are world class. Just because you dont see them in active competition doesnt mean they arent what others say they are.

Informed opinions are the ones I would go with, not those who just wanna hate!

I shared my "Rickson Experience" on a similar thread a while back but will offer a shorter version.

My wife got me a private lesson with Rickson for my birthday, it was at his house. I was training with Jacare in Atlanta at the time but the only thing I had to offer against him was my size. (6 ft., 2 in., 265)

It was an incredible experience. With just ten minutes left, I told him I wanted to roll so I could one day tell my children I rolled against Rickson Gracie.

I have a picture of us after the lesson on my My Space page. www.myspace.com/bobbydarnell

I get a private from Renzo when I am in New York and he is in town and I asked him once, "Is Rickson as good as everyone says?"

Renzo just smiled and offered two words, "He's perfect."

Bobby "D"

ttt

ttt

Just after I started rolling with Rickson I got to his back and tapped him! It was easy, he acted like he did not see it coming!

Dave

Oh, I forgot to add - he had just kick my ass and I tapped him on the back and said nice job!

Rickson is the best I have ever rolled with!

Dave

ttt for my threads

where does Rickson teach out of?

"'What's really interesting is that the ONLY people who doubt or talk sh!t about his grappling ability are people who have NEVER rolled w/ him. Even among his most rabid haters.....not ONE has ever claimed to have rolled with him.'"

On the other hand, some very respectable and talented people have rolled with him and not proclaimed him the greatest submission guy ever. Mark Schultz, Rico Chiapparelli, Virgillio, all say he is very good, one of the best they have rolled with, but not THE best. I believe some that have trained with Rickson and Liborio say that Liborio is better as well, not just Carlson guys.

I don't think Rickon's grappling ability has ever really been doubted, it was more his vale tudo/MMA ability.

My training partner went to one of his seminars in Charlotte NC, back in 96 or maybe 98. It was a beginers group, but Rickson was rolling with everyone there. Easily over 100 in attendance. My partner Nathan, was number 98. Rickson shot in and Nate caught him in a guillotine. It took Rickson some time to escape the hold, but he did escape, and submitted Nate by choke. Afterward, he invited him to the adavanced seminar the next day, free. Nathan was his official "volunteer" the whole next day. Class act, Rickson.

is momentum gordon hester? if so, who gave you your black belt gordon?

I wish he would compete so we could stop with these threads and have a definitive answer.

I too have NEVER read anywhere that Rickson skills were second to liborio.
Also, I feel that both Mark schultz and Ricco Chiparreli whilst being world-class athletes in their own right would perhaps (for reasons known only to them,maybe ego or envy etc.) say Rickson was not THE best.

FACT: All those who critisize his ability have not rolled with him, those who have, praise him without exception!

TTT for Rickson.

If vhe competed you can bet most guys would try to score 1 point and then hold on for dear life until the match is over. Screw that. I AM interested in seeing him grapple anybody REALLY good (especially Liborio) w/ winning only via submission and no time limit.

I'd pay to see him tool Laimon as well.

ttt, I would love to see him grapple with anyone in this day and age.
from all recent posts etc it is obvious that he still is world-class even though he will be 48 in November, what an inspiration!

I think I would cry and jump up and down yelling "OMG, OMG....it's Rickson....sign my boob..." Like a teenage girl at a NSYNC concert in the late 90's.

Being a dude, that would look really strange.

Excuse my ignorance, but here's a curious question.

There are four guys that many consider at the top of the BJJ game today -- Marcelo, Roger, Xande, and Jacare.

Who of them has rolled with Rickson and what was the result? Or what do they have to say about him?

I started bjj in '98, so I've got to roll with some real cool guys......never even met Rickson though.
The storys about Rickson are legendary, I have no doubt about any of them.

Some of the guys I did get to train and roll with include...
Marcio Feitosa, Babalu, Roberto Traven, Carlson Gracie Jr., Eric Paulson, Sucuri, and Joe Hurst.....
oh yeah...and Caveman Dave from the UG!