Why couldnt Vera outwrestle Shogun?

Bobby Lashley trained at the Olympic facility in Colorado springs fwiw (which is nothing) Phone Post

Auzzie - 
stlnl2 - why "provoke" takedowns on a guy with a rep for kneeing people's faces off?

LMAO.

Yea? Why try to take shogun down? Obviously, takedowns don't work on shogun!

Just look at Babalu, Overeem first fight, Overeem second fight, Forrest Griffin, Ricardo Arona, Mark Coleman first fight, Oldass Mark Coleman second fight, Kevin Randleman, washed up Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida, Jon Jones, Dan Henderson, and Brandon Vera, just to name a few!

NONE of these guys were able to take shogun down!

oh wait.....

didnt the massive majority of those guys lose to Shogun? So what exactly did that takedown get for them?

Having wrestled in school doesn't automatically give you a life long guarantee of out wrestling anybody who did NOT wrestle in school. Guys shit on Bisping for example, you pick up a move or two when you've been doing MMA for a decade, enough that if you have the right body match and fitness, it gets about even real quick.

DaemonDragon - 
Acidic -  lol Shogun has A level Takedowns

Taking down machida, Liddell, Vera, hendom, Lil Nog goes to show how elite his TDs are. His TDD not so great

Exactly this. I don't know about "A" level, but B+ level certainly.

Shogun is pretty much just like Gegard Mousasi. Extremely good offensive wrestlng, sub-par defensive wrestling. I believe Jon Fitch is roughly in this mold as well, until the Penn fight I always said Fitch's TDD was shaky but people didn't seem to grasp that until Penn took him down with ease.

I can't understand why some people like Rogan are still surprised to see Shogun go for takedowns, when Shogun goes for takedowns in pretty much every single fight he's had. It's like, have these people seen a Shogun fight before?? Shogun's takedowns+GNP are his best attribute.

It's a large part of why Jones is such a bad matchup for him - Shogun would never be able to take Jones down. Which means he can't unleash his hammerfists of doom and lethal GNP.

For some reason people think of Shogun as a striker, when he's just very well-rounded and fights that way.

The only guy he tried repeatedly to take down and couldn't was Machida. Shogun tried like hell in their first fight to take him down but couldn't - however even then he caused damage by holding Machida against the cage and kneeing his thighs. Those shots clearly hurt worse than they looked because Machida visibly did not like them at all.

Yup, i would say B+ as well but yeah.

What also makes his tds good is his ability to mix it up and time. You saw against Vera again that he didnt force them but went for them when the opp was there and as a result of establishing his striking.

He repeatedly took down Nakamura all the way in Pride who isnt exactly an A level td/wrestler guy in MMA but is a strong judo guy and has taken down his share of top guys too.

Also, i think this is what makes Vera not able to realize the talent he has. I think by the time he was in the clinch he was reacting to Shogun and a few steps behind. His transitions (aside from the guillotine) arent really A level though he has talent in all ends of the game.

Im sure he wanted that title shot, and after that ko from machida he probably knew theres no way he would get it by turning into a wrestling match. Phone Post

Auzzie - 
stlnl2 - 
Auzzie - 
stlnl2 - why "provoke" takedowns on a guy with a rep for kneeing people's faces off?

LMAO.

Just look at Babalu, Overeem first fight, Overeem second fight, Forrest Griffin, Ricardo Arona, Mark Coleman first fight, Oldass Mark Coleman second fight, Kevin Randleman, washed up Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida, Jon Jones, Dan Henderson, and Brandon Vera, just to name a few!

oh wait.....

didnt the massive majority of those guys lose to Shogun? So what exactly did that takedown get for them?

Uh, takedowns DESTROY gassed shogun.

Unless you're 45 year old Mark Coleman, who was so close to beating Shogun anyway.

So yea, Vera could have beaten shogun if he had a different gameplan, cause shogun gassed.

Most of the guys you listed.....lost. So......?

But I agree, I am sure every fat bastard sitting on the couch was screaming for Vera to take Shogun down, despite the fact that Vera was getting the better of most of the exchanges....makes sense.

Would have been good to see Vera work for more TDs, if only to give Shogun something else to think about. Phone Post

Because shogun is simply better on the ground. Vera wanted nothing to do with him there.

Shogun has very good bjj. Phone Post

Also Vera got rocked quite a few times, will take it out of you Phone Post

stlnl2 - 
Auzzie - 
stlnl2 - 
Auzzie - 

LMAO.

oh wait.....

Uh, takedowns DESTROY gassed shogun.

Unless you're 45 year old Mark Coleman, who was so close to beating Shogun anyway.

So yea, Vera could have beaten shogun if he had a different gameplan, cause shogun gassed.

Most of the guys you listed.....lost. So......?

I dont think Auzzie is mentally capable enough to understand that sadly. Hes a fucktard who will probably respond in shame and ignore the main point you made. Which is 99% of those guys lost even with getting takedowns. Cant explain to a retard what the point of fighting is. its diffifcult for a fat POS sitting on a couch talking shit to legends over the internet to understand

Shogun did not take Machida down in either fight. Machida took shogun down 2X in their 2nd fight.

He put Machida on his ass for like a split second in the first fight I think, when they were up against the cage.

Wasa-B - I think by the time he was in the clinch he was reacting to Shogun and a few steps behind.

Yes. It' much easier for an adversary to impose his own techniques when he's taking the initiative. Conversely there's a huge opportunity cost in leaving the initiative to an adversary. Especially in MMA, where fighters have so many different ways to attack. That's why I say that Vera's game plan of counterstriking Shogun was flawed from the start, and also a bit childish. The guy clearly needs better coaching and fight planning.

Shogun looked stronger than Vera. Vera's funny, he looked too small for hw, but seems weak and undernurished at lhw.

@Auzzie

Vera was gassed too. Didn't have the energy to really push the pace. He was losing the battle in the clinch, and Vera is a Greco guy, he didn't get the dominant positions in the clinch to work the takedowns. He got the TD in the second round, but never was never really able to gain the upper hand in the clinch ever since that moment, and shogun has one of the best clinch games at LHW period.

Both guys have lost to strikers in the past, wrestling doesnt gurantee the victory.

Especially for somebody like Rashad who inflicts minimal damage and gasses out.