Why does Brian Ortega carry a Mexican flag?

Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Would Marcus Davis have gotten the same hate? Plenty of fighters are proud of their heritage and want to put it on display. This thread is as dumb as all the ones that used to get made about Cain's Brown Pride tattoo.

Agreed.

You also have The Croatian Sensation and tons of others.  Seems only Hispanic Americans get the big hate for this.

Did either of those guys come out with Irish or Croation flags and no American flags?  Fucking traitor.  Go live there and rep it properly and fuck off out of America. 

That's a calm and measured answer.  You're an idiot.  Let them use whatever they want.  I'm sure Ortega isn't doing it as treason to the US but to get more fans.

1 Like
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Would Marcus Davis have gotten the same hate? Plenty of fighters are proud of their heritage and want to put it on display. This thread is as dumb as all the ones that used to get made about Cain's Brown Pride tattoo.

Agreed.

You also have The Croatian Sensation and tons of others.  Seems only Hispanic Americans get the big hate for this.

Did either of those guys come out with Irish or Croation flags and no American flags?  Fucking traitor.  Go live there and rep it properly and fuck off out of America. 

That's a calm and measured answer.  You're an idiot.  Let them use whatever they want.  I'm sure Ortega isn't doing it as treason to the US but to get more fans.

If you're pandering to get fans, you have to take the backlash as well. Ortega can do whatever he wants. He could walk out with a big swastika carved into his forehead. Would you still be here going "Hey now, he's not trying to do anything bad, he just really wants to tap into that nazi audience and make them his fans."? Brian made a decision, now when people say fuck him and that his decision was stupid, he gets to live with that.

1 Like
Gennady Goblin -
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Agreed.

If you're pandering to get fans, you have to take the backlash as well. Ortega can do whatever he wants. He could walk out with a big swastika carved into his forehead. Would you still be here going "Hey now, he's not trying to do anything bad, he just really wants to tap into that nazi audience and make them his fans."? Brian made a decision, now when people say fuck him and that his decision was stupid, he gets to live with that.

Walking out with a Mexican flag is equivalent to carving a swastika in his forehead?  

1 Like

Mexican American.  He can carry either.

OtherGrooundDropIn -
Gennady Goblin -
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Agreed.

Walking out with a Mexican flag is equivalent to carving a swastika in his forehead?  

That's what the goblin is claiming.

OtherGrooundDropIn -
Gennady Goblin -
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Agreed.

In terms of somebody taking an action to pander to a subset of people, yes. And people should be free to do both.

And when someone makes the choice to do that, they should get whatever criticism they get, and not have pussy faggots griping that their precious hero is being criticized for their choice.

Great thread OP.  They come to America for the benefits but want to pledge allegiance to another country.

however, in this case I honstelt think the UFC told him to help build the Latin fan base, they’ve had trouble building Latino stars for over a decade. 

Gennady Goblin -
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Agreed.

So wait you just compaired the nazis to Mexicans ? Lmao maybe that’s the problem you look at everyone outside the US as enemies. you can’t be that fucking stupid. Oh wait I’m sorry forgot where I was move along. 

Gennady Goblin -
OtherGrooundDropIn -
Gennady Goblin -
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Agreed.

In terms of somebody taking an action to pander to a subset of people, yes. And people should be free to do both.

And when someone makes the choice to do that, they should get whatever criticism they get, and not have pussy faggots griping that their precious hero is being criticized for their choice.

Totally agree yesterday I poured my drink on someone who had the nerve to put Swiss cheese on there sandwich at subway instead of American cheese. Fucking traitor

I’m the first generation born in the USA and I would never rep the flag only of a country I wasn’t born and live in. I would at least have a mix of both. 

Do I have problem with it? Ehhh it’s a little odd, doesn’t trigger me enough but I do find it off. I rock soccer Jerseys from my parents home country but aside from that I don’t think I’d go yolo with the flag 

The MMATADOR -
Gennady Goblin -
OtherGrooundDropIn -
Gennady Goblin -
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Agreed.

Totally agree yesterday I poured my drink on someone who had the nerve to put Swiss cheese on there sandwich at subway instead of American cheese. Fucking traitor

You don’t come across as very bright. You have very weird and simplistic views on things and have no idea about nuance, even though the differences aren’t even that subtle.

But do carry on.

Legalize It -
Raistlin -

He definitely caught shit for the Irish flag shenanigans

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/Hardy-on-Marcus-DavisHes-not-Englishnot-Irish:1422411

Just about every comment in that thread is in support of Marcus Davis flying the Irish flag lol only Dan Hardy made comments disparaging it.

1 Like
The MMATADOR -
Gennady Goblin -
quality -
Fighting -
quality -
Raistlin -

Agreed.

So wait you just compaired the nazis to Mexicans ? Lmao maybe that’s the problem you look at everyone outside the US as enemies. you can’t be that fucking stupid. Oh wait I’m sorry forgot where I was move along. 

Never once compared nazis to mexicans. You're revealing your own comprehensive deficiencies.

MexiCali vatos. Plus it's not a bad move for marketing/money. 

I feel like he just wanted to represent his heritage and there’s nothing wrong with that. iirc Hakeem Dawodu carried a Nigerian flag to the cage, and in his post fight interview he mentioned they only let him carry one flag (as he’s Canadian with Jamaican heritage as well). 

so maybe Ortega would’ve carried both flags if he were allowed. Either way, I would not suspect it’s a diss to America…just pride for Mexican heritage  

1 Like
I'mNotSurprisedMotherf**kers -

To pander to Mexicans in hopes of making more money by getting the Mexican fanbase that typically favors boxing.

It's the reason him and every other Mexican who can barely speak a word of spanish does it.

THIS

Erik Apple -
I'mNotSurprisedMotherf**kers -

To pander to Mexicans in hopes of making more money by getting the Mexican fanbase that typically favors boxing.

It's the reason him and every other Mexican who can barely speak a word of spanish does it.

THIS

Pandering would be him presenting himself as a charicature of mexican stereotypes and attempting to kiss that president's hand. Brian is just proud of his heritage, not going overboard for attention.

Does the Italian Stallion or Croatian Sensation?

honestly i think ufc encourages this cuz it brings in mexican(american) fans

Pretty sure that Tito walked out with a flag that had US on one side & Mexico on the other.