Why does GSP get so much credit for poaching a blind, lameduck MW champ Bisping?

I agree agree with you wholeheartedly. There is no such thing as too much Mountain Dew and skittles

game of thrones you know nothing GIF

2 Likes

GSP is no doubt one of the best to ever do it but he wisely left the game when he knew he was getting older and his reign of dominance was likely at an end. No shame in that. Too many guys stay too long and people forget how good they had been previously. The Iceman and Silva for instance.

5 Likes

Bisping had won five straight fights leading up to this, including Anderson, Rockhold, and Hendo. One might say that Anderson was past his prime, Rockhold was a fluke, and Hendo was a “robbery,” but the facts are that Bisping was on a great streak and was a legitimate champion. GSP came back after four years and jumped up a weight class to finish him. Yeah, he re-retired immediately and yeah he didn’t fight Whittaker or Romero or Jacare, but he still came back outside of his natural weight class and beat the lineal champ. That’s incredible.

7 Likes

Before the finish GSP was slowing down and was looking sloppy. I just watched the fight when I saw thread title. He was definitely beginning to gas out

Of course it was still impressive that he could come back after 5 years or whatever and win at MW but make no mistake he only did it because he knew Bisping was the easiest fight for him at MW. If Weidman or Rockhold had still been champion at that time, George never comes back to fight them

7 Likes

Hendo and Anderson were both skeletal remains when they fought Mike and both nearly killed him.

Bisping was matchmaking like a pro boxer at that point. He would have gotten murdered against any of the younger lions in the division.

4 Likes

Both Anderson and Hendo flatlined him at points in their fights but credit to Bisping for gutting it out to get the wins.

7 Likes

Yeah Luke wasnt on the best run of his whole career at all you dumb cunt

1 Like

I think we already acknowledged that glass jawed Luke was pretty much Bisping’s lottery ticket to the title, and Luke beat the ass out of Mike in the first fight.

Would GSP have come back for the title if Whitaker or Romero held the title?

Fucking clown. Stop lying to yourself.

6 Likes

I wish we could’ve seen GSP vs the rest of the division. I think he’s competitive against all of the killers of that time. I’m not saying he beats them, but I don’t think he gets blown away.

Whittaker is basically a 185 version of GSP. I feel like this is the toughest fight for St. Pierre.

Romero was prone to slow starts. He can always explode and end the fight at any point, but we’ve seen him totally freeze up before. I could see GSP jabbing him to death in a super boring fight.

Jacare had power, but his overall striking and wrestling weren’t as good. This is another one I could see GSP winning.

Rockhold had just lost to Bisping so anything is possible. At his best, he probably beats up St. Pierre for a decision win, but who knows?

Honestly, GSP was probably smart to get out while he could, but these would’ve been fun fights.

4 Likes

Dude…. You trying to get hypothetical GSP killed?

2 Likes

Even Bisping was surprised when he beat Luke. I think maybe the most.

3 Likes

I used to hate Bisping but the bastard grew on me after a while. He was tough as hell, cardio for days, and even though some weren’t pretty he would find ways to grind out wins and always had confidence in himself.

4 Likes

Yeah, Bisping has become likeable.

A good fighter as well… still a weak champ and a massive cherry pick.

2 Likes

Dude, your boy literally won’t fight GSP because “his mom doesn’t want him to fight anymore”.

For fuck sake.

3 Likes

GSP is the best 170er of all time . Period.

7 Likes

Because, bisping is a bad mother fucker, at a higher weight class. It was also just like an a great story. unfolded wonderfully. two legends

2 Likes

In contrast, when Khabib was presented with an opportunity to fight GSP, he retired from the sport and told everyone it was because his mom doesn’t want him to fight anymore.

In all fairness, if I was Khabib’s mom, I wouldn’t want him to fight GSP either.

2 Likes

I think GSP smeshes but I don’t think he wants the fight, he is all about “legacy” and beating a 155lb isn’t worth the risk of losing to one

Anderson Silva would have made GSP look like Forrest Griffin if they had fought while Silva was in his prime. GSP was a play it safe champ while Silva was knocking opponents out without even trying his hardest.

2 Likes