Why elbows but not headbutts?

sly fox - 
MMALOGIC - Headbutts are like soccer kicks... not palatable.

this and if you look at the old world vale tudo tapes headbutts on the ground ended up extremely bloody

those were also universally bare knuckle too. glancing knuckle to the eyebrow will cause cuts very readily. if anything a sharp bony glancing elbow cuts as much if not not more so than a blunt headbutt.

You hate elbows? Go watch some other sport please. One of the best things in mma is seeing someone get blasted with a great elbow, there is real skill to it. And almost no fights get stopped from cuts these days. Jon Jones blasting Brandon Vera was awesome. Nate Quarry hacking up Jason McDonald with elbows was awesome.

I'll never understand so-called "fans" wanting to add rules, or take weapons away so there grandma can watch it. Just go do something else....please.

we should allow elbows and headbutts. to allow one without the other is hypocritical.

remember when igor v finished nick nutter (student of notorious headbutter antidote) in their first fight off his back with headbutts? That was equivalent in my eyes to royce gracie finishing severn from his back with a triangle (at the time i didn't think such a thing was possible either).

Milton Bahia cracked some dude's sternum with a headbutt to finish the fight.

they can be used quite effectively just like elbows without being anymore bloody.

Headbutts cause huge hematomas a lot of the time. No only to the receiver, but also to the one doing the butting. That's a good reason. Elbows can cause the same, but it's much less common.

better at setting up rather than finishing. But can definitely be effective

All other strikes allowed under the unified rules can be found in another combat sport. There are no other combat sports I know of that include headbutting (or soccer kicks, or stomps.)

UFC/MMA is supposed to be a mixture of combat sports.  The powers that be want MMA to look like a sport, not a dirtiest fighter contest.

head butts are not a skillful technique.  I say keep em out.  People will more than likely cut themselves trying to be meatheads.

Bad Monkey -  All other strikes allowed under the unified rules can be found in another combat sport. There are no other combat sports I know of that include headbutting (or soccer kicks, or stomps.)

UFC/MMA is supposed to be a mixture of combat sports.  The powers that be want MMA to look like a sport, not a dirtiest fighter contest.

Lethwei Phone Post

This is (M)ixed(M)artial(A)rts/thread

They should ban all attacks on the ground. Its unsavoury. They should ban chokes too. Someone could get really hurt. Phone Post

Neither should be banned

UGCTT Captain America - 
Bad Monkey -  All other strikes allowed under the unified rules can be found in another combat sport. There are no other combat sports I know of that include headbutting (or soccer kicks, or stomps.)

Lethwei Phone Post

To a grounded opponent?

Bad Monkey -
UGCTT Captain America - 

Lethwei Phone Post

To a grounded opponent?

No, I just meant headbutts are allowed Phone Post

They look alot more barberic then elbows do Phone Post

Guess Kaep put the phone down FINALLY

As someone posted, it's perception.
They appear unsportsmanlike Phone Post

Bad Monkey -
UGCTT Captain America - 
Bad Monkey -
UGCTT Captain America - 

Lethwei Phone Post

To a grounded opponent?

No, I just meant headbutts are allowed Phone Post

Didn't know that. Learning is fun.

If you haven't seen it, it's like a more brutal Muay Thai, without gloves. It's good fun to watch Phone Post

Bring em back Mark Coleman UFC HW champ 2013

We want head butts!

Masakyst - yeah and while wer're at it, why not biting? People bite in a real life fight. Like for example, a fighter would no longer be able to cross their leg over their opponents face when trying to secure an armbar, or else they risk losing a chunk of flesh. Current rules are biased in favor of non-biters IMO.
Just imagine the damage Ronda Rousey would do to someone's arm if they tried to bite her leg. Phone Post