Why isn't San Shou more popular?

well there are plenty of legit MMA schools and plenty of legit combat sports. so there are still options.

link below is video trailer from New York Showdown 8..

both 8 and 9 are available on DVD from www.MarkNegron.com

san da footage from NY Showdown 8

I've only trained in MMA. I'd never had any San Da experience before coming to China. I've done pretty well in sparring sessions with these guys. They do have the fastest kicks I've ever seen. I've been really impressed with that.

The only drawback I can see with using SanDa as a training system for MMA is the rules for the throw. But I can see it being quite useful in street self-defense.

I have a question. What are the differences in rules for San Da and San Shou? I have not come across any San Shou practitioners.

when san shou first came to america in 95 it was very clear.

san shou = amateur. - no knees.

san da = professional - knees.

then "amateur sanda" and "pro san shou" started mixing things around and soon amateurs are using knees.

now it's basically san shou - no knees, san da with knees (amateurs knee only the body). either can be pro or amateur.

Maybe because the RING is so hugh? hehehe.

Thanks bull. I've asked several people about San Shou, and they've looked at me like I'm stupid. They had never heard of it. SanDa is quite popular though.

Prob cause the San Shou most people see is just Cung Lee man handling an overmatched opponent.