Why Kneepads in Gi Pants?

Unless I'm doing something wrong with my training, how often are people on their knees that they need knee pads sewn into their pants?

I hate extra bulk (aside from my gut) and heavier gi's, and have even taken out the knee pads in my pants.

I suppose if you do a lot of kneeling guard breaks from closed guard? Or a lot of "midget" wrestling, where neither guy wants to concede guard play. What other positions use the knees that much?

Turtle guard?

So only Eduardo Telles, old school guys that pass from their knees, and a bunch of newbies that hate guard should have them?

I don't know, I haven't seen knee pad gi pants really

I guess for guys who shoot takedowns but we all know bjj guys don't do that!

I don't think it has to do with kneeling probably more to do with that area needing to be reinforced because of leg movement, open guard dela riva there's alot of friction there

I haven't seen knee pads that are sewn in but lots of people wear them underneath including my self. if I hit a sweep, lots of times I am coming down on my knees and it's nice to have the extra cushion. Phone Post

I assume by "knee pads" you mean some extra fabric sewn into the knees.

And I just think it's because with the knees being bent and unbent and the fabric usually being tight there, it's just so you don't blow holes in your knees super fast. Phone Post 3.0

Aren't you on your knees when in someone's closed guard; top half guard; side control; and mount...?
Y'know: really common positions?

...or is that old-school, and people levitate nowadays?

GrahamJ - Aren't you on your knees when in someone's closed guard; top half guard; side control; and mount...?

You can't hover?

Noob. Phone Post 3.0

Is it just me, or are the knee reinforcements on a lot of jiu jitsu pants too high, meaning that when I bend my knees to kneel down the reinforcement is on my lower thigh and there is a line of stitching across my knee.
This is especially true of my Shoyoroll.
I have judo pants where the whole of the front of the pants is double. Phone Post 3.0

omoplautistic - 
GrahamJ - Aren't you on your knees when in someone's closed guard; top half guard; side control; and mount...?

You can't hover?

Noob. Phone Post 3.0

One thousand more berimbolos until I 'level-up' to levitation. :'(

I am making a special pair of gi pants with butt pads, it will be like doing Berimbolo's on a cloud

I wear knee pads under my gi pants. I have bursitis in both knees so I need the extra cushioning or else they swell up. They're also sensitive so it's less painful kneeling with the pads on. Phone Post 3.0

liquidrob - I am making a special pair of gi pants with butt pads, it will be like doing Berimbolo's on a cloud

Shoulder pads on the jacket, too...?

green_machine - I wear knee pads under my gi pants. I have bursitis in both knees so I need the extra cushioning or else they swell up. They're also sensitive so it's less painful kneeling with the pads on. Phone Post 3.0

I'm with my man started wearing knee pads 7.5 yrs ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I tend to wrestle a little bit in scrambles so banging my knees into the mat happens often.

7 Dust - 
green_machine - I wear knee pads under my gi pants. I have bursitis in both knees so I need the extra cushioning or else they swell up. They're also sensitive so it's less painful kneeling with the pads on. Phone Post 3.0

I'm with my man started wearing knee pads 7.5 yrs ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I tend to wrestle a little bit in scrambles so banging my knees into the mat happens often.

it works wonders

Dude... Use your gi for a while and it will be quite obvious. Phone Post 3.0

Nowa days we dont need knee pads we need suspenders to keep the pants up.

RPBJJ - Dude... Use your gi for a while and it will be quite obvious. Phone Post 3.0

I've trained fairly consistent since 2000- I've never had a pants wear out in the knees.

Maybe I'm not training hard enough?

7 Dust -

This, I'm a proud member of OFTT and knee pads under my GI pants has kept me in the game longer than I would be if I did not. Phone Post 3.0