Why no more 15 round boxing matches?

[quote]Monsters Ball - [quote]jaseprobst - Benn-McClellan is like the Mancini-Kim bout as well. When you know what a tragedy it turned out to be, it overshadows an amazing fight. Of course, all you have to do is read the amazing piece this guy did on McClellan and what a sick freak he was to animals, and you don't feel so bad about him being paralyzed. Sounds harsh, until you read the article.[/quote] Which piece? You are referring to an article. Do you have a link?[/quote] 

here's the link.

it's a long article, but an outstanding piece of writing. It also shows you the side of Gerald McClellan that is absolutely repugnant.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,583541,00.html#article_continue

And the answer is............

Buddy McGirt vs. Howard Davis

Year?

I got a chance to meet Ray a few years ago and have some drinks with him at a charity event. Easily one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He even helped me pick up a chick that night. As I was chatting with him I couldn't help but think "this little guy actually killed a man with his hands." It was so hard to believe because he is just such a nice an likeable guy.

Crazy Zimmerman - And the answer is............

Howard Davis Jr.

So when was the last scheduled 20-round heavyweight championship fight?  C'mon, someone at least guess!

OK, I'll bite. I don't know but I want to say it was a Dempsey fight... he was known for all those knockouts and then the problems with Tunney...

Dempsey/Firpo is my guess :)

TH

Up With Evil - 

Howard Davis Jr.

So when was the last scheduled 20-round heavyweight championship fight?  C'mon, someone at least guess!

I think it might've been a Joe Louis bout, but he stopped the guy inside the distance. Circa 1941?

hackett - OK, I'll bite. I don't know but I want to say it was a Dempsey fight... he was known for all those knockouts and then the problems with Tunney...

Dempsey/Firpo is my guess :)

TH
WRONG!

jaseprobst - 
Up With Evil - 

Howard Davis Jr.

I think it might've been a Joe Louis bout, but he stopped the guy inside the distance. Circa 1941?
You musta cheated :)

Joe Louis vs Abe Simon, 1941.  Abe Simon was one of the early "superheavyweights" of the era, a 6'4 250lb musclebound mass of plug-ugly whose biggest career win was an early KO over future heavyweight champ Jersey Joe Walcott.

"That's one big Jew!"

Indeed it is.

And hey, give me points for integrity. I could have just gone on google.

Are you writing a book on boxing, UWE? Someone somewhere told me that.

TH

hackett - Indeed it is.

And hey, give me points for integrity. I could have just gone on google.

Are you writing a book on boxing, UWE? Someone somewhere told me that.
Heya hackett!

It's not quite a book, but it's about boxing :)

Of course now I have to live up to the lofty standards of that MMA book by Lord Greasepaint so I'd better start editing. 

Don't be a straner homie!

Up With Evil - 
jaseprobst - 
Up With Evil - 

Howard Davis Jr.

You musta cheated :)

Joe Louis vs Abe Simon, 1941.  Abe Simon was one of the early "superheavyweights" of the era, a 6'4 250lb musclebound mass of plug-ugly whose biggest career win was an early KO over future heavyweight champ Jersey Joe Walcott.

"That's one big Jew!"

No cheating. I know that because of an old RING magazine interview with Don Dunphy. He offered a big cash prize or something to anyone who could guess the result of the Louis-Simon fight, and when a buncha folks wrote "Louis by decision" he realized he'd owe a ton of them the prize. He joked that he was thankful Louis stopped Simon instead of it going 20 rounds.

We should compare our boxing brains sometime -- maybe a boxing trivia duel!

Monsters Ball - 
jaseprobst - 
Monsters Ball - 
jaseprobst - Benn-McClellan is like the Mancini-Kim bout as well. When you know what a tragedy it turned out to be, it overshadows an amazing fight. Of course, all you have to do is read the amazing piece this guy did on McClellan and what a sick freak he was to animals, and you don't feel so bad about him being paralyzed. Sounds harsh, until you read the article.
Which piece? You are referring to an article. Do you have a link?

here's the link.

it's a long article, but an outstanding piece of writing. It also shows you the side of Gerald McClellan that is absolutely repugnant.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,583541,00.html#article_continue

Thank you Jase!

Let me know what you think of that piece! It's pretty eye-opening!

jaseprobst -

We should compare our boxing brains sometime -- maybe a boxing trivia duel!
Trivia is for lesser sports like football.  Boxing has history.