Will be interesting to see if UFC gives Merab a title shot

So O’Malley skipped Merab for his title shot and Merab has not fought again. Now with the rematch perhaps in the works Merab is saying he will wait for his title shot again.

We have never seen a fighter with a giant win streak sit out over a year due to teammate politics and let two title fights happen while they just wait. Have just never seen it before.

Seems yet another good reason Usman is in Bellator while Makhachev is champ in UFC.

“If he vacates the belt and takes a vacation or something, I will fight for the belt with whoever will be next. Now, I don’t want to rush. I just don’t want any stupid fight, you know, because the fight doesn’t make sense. I don’t want to fight somebody that has a loss. What does this fight get me?

“I want to fight the top guys. I don’t want to test, I’m tested already. I proved it. My last opponents I dominated. … I’m the next guy after Aljo. So a good way would be to give Aljo a rematch and after that, I’m just going to wait for my title fight, and we’ll figure it out after. But I’m just going to fight for the title next – even if I have to wait a year or more.”

1 Like

im surprised both Merab and Aljo are calling for the shot.I think it should be Merab

3 Likes

Merab is saying he will wait for Sterling to get his rematch first. Of course he says Sterling will win and then move up but he ignores it could be a trilogy if Sterling wins a rematch.

3 Likes

I agree, about the closest thing I remember was AKA, back with Fitch and Kos not wanting to fight one another while both were chasing title fights with GSP.

The only other guy that’s sat for a long time and passed on title fights was Leon. He was inactive for nearly 2 years (in part due to covid regulations), but he sat by and watched Masvidal get 2 shots, Burns etc.

It’s a dangerous game for Merab to play, especially with other fighters in line that could make solid main events, and likely make the UFC alot more money

Merab is a great friend.He should get a big fight whether its SOM or someone else

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. While this rematch gets worked on and Merab sits out…Sandhagen has a three fight win streak, Vera wants a shot, Cejudo is around maybe and Umar and Song are climbing the ranks.

1 Like

Pretty chickenshit Aljo wants a rematch after his buddy waited around all this time for a title shot…some friend…Chito will be 100% next and Dana is praying Merab and Aljo lose in the meantime

6 Likes

yup…UFC will do everythign they can to keep Sean champ. its in their best interest. They will push Merab to the side as long as possible.

2 Likes

said he will sit it out ?

Yep. He said this…

“I want to fight the top guys. I don’t want to test, I’m tested already. I proved it. My last opponents I dominated. … I’m the next guy after Aljo. So a good way would be to give Aljo a rematch and after that, I’m just going to wait for my title fight, and we’ll figure it out after. But I’m just going to fight for the title next – even if I have to wait a year or more.”
[/quote]

Pretty dumb of Merab to be willing to sit for a year plus at his age.

As a fan I’m not complaining though. He would kill my interest in the division as champ.

3 Likes

Mr. Epo can go to the back of the line. He chose to not to fight for the belt. He has no one to blame but himself, when his boring ass gets passed over.

1 Like

Their plan was Aljo winning decisively and jumping up to 145 to challenge Volk.

That way Merab could come take his place at the top of 135.

Obviously O Malley ruined all of that. Every man for himself now it seems…

1 Like

Yeah, agree. Aljo just got KO’d in the second round. If Merab is willing to wait… again… then so should Aljo. Let Merab fight OMalley and if OMalley wins, angle for the rematch. But realistically, neither Aljo nor Chito should be next. Its Merab then Sandhagen.

1 Like

I disagree , they wanted O’Malley to win for the :moneybag: :dollar:

4 Likes

Talking about Aljos plan…of course the UFC wanted OMalley to win

2 Likes

I actually think the rematch with O’Malley makes more then a Volk fight maybe for Sterling

1 Like

Definitely now

I dont think Sterling is getting a Volk fight. I dont think anyone has any interest in that.

2 Likes

That fight made sense if he was still BW champ…makes zero sense to do it now…even Aljo said Volk would fuck him up after the last fight

2 Likes