WMMA Discussion Thread

Ray Elbe - Hope Pannie gets the winner of Evinger/Aldana Phone Post 3.0

Ray, 

Don't forget Raquel Pa'aluhi. In my opinion Raquel fights the winner of Evinger/Aldana first. 

smithsamman - Big fan of Aldana, will always tune in and I think she has a bright future but Evinger is far too much for her. Would have MUCH rather seen Raquel Pa'aluhi fight Evinger for the title. With wins over Gomes and Young I would argue that she has certainly done more to earn it as well.

Interesting that they gave Shafir a debut fighter. SHOULD be easy win and I get that Shafir NEEDS a win at this point, but doesn't look too great that it's against a debut fighter.

shafir has record of 1-1 how bad can it possibly make her look just two fights ago she was having her pro debut herself

Kimbo Kardashian - 
smithsamman - Big fan of Aldana, will always tune in and I think she has a bright future but Evinger is far too much for her. Would have MUCH rather seen Raquel Pa'aluhi fight Evinger for the title. With wins over Gomes and Young I would argue that she has certainly done more to earn it as well.

Interesting that they gave Shafir a debut fighter. SHOULD be easy win and I get that Shafir NEEDS a win at this point, but doesn't look too great that it's against a debut fighter.

shafir has record of 1-1 how bad can it possibly make her look just two fights ago she was having her pro debut herself

Kimbo Kardashian, 

Shafir was expected to steamroll through her opponents and be ready to fight Cris Cyborg by now and things have not gone according to her plan. I assume the aim is to build her back up and make her a, and I say this respectfully "credible" future threat for the FW champ

Aldana vs Evinger

wow...interesting

Tryskellion - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Kimbo Kardashian - 

<br />
        <span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53733127"><span class="User-351800" id="userPost53732877">shafir has record of 1-1 how bad can it possibly make her look just two fights ago she was having her pro debut herself</span></span></span></blockquote>
    <br />
    <p>
        <span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53733127">Kimbo Kardashian,&nbsp;</span></span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53733127">Shafir was expected to steamroll through her opponents and be ready to fight Cris Cyborg by now and things have not gone according to her plan. I assume the aim is to build her back up and make her a, and I say this respectfully &quot;credible&quot; future threat for the FW champ</span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<br />
<span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201">Maybe the objective is to let her get some experience. You can't build something back up that never was. After 2 pro fights she has the same record as Cyborg did after her first 2 pro fights.</span></blockquote>

Tryskellion, 

In my opinion, Marina was talking a lot and being disrespectful leading up to her pro debut and after. Marina stated that she needed 1 1/2 years to get her hands on Cris and as I mentioned, for the most part MMA fans expected her to steamroll through her opponents. That unfortunatley didnt work out the way she had anticipated. Amanda Bell wrote the blueprint on how to beat Marina and now in my opinion, she needs to be built up again as a and I say this respectfully, "credible" fighter. Who knows what Cris was saying when she lost her pro fight but six months later, she jumped in and beat Vanessa Porto who had more experience. Marina needs 11 months after her loss. Apples and Pears

Big news in WMMA world today with the announcement of the Invicta 13 fight card, which I like a lot.

I wonder if Ronda will go to the event. Her "lil-sis" is fighting after all. But big and mean not-135 Cyborg will be there too, so maybe she leaves early...

Kimbo Kardashian - 
Sunkist1207 - 

What say you?

kinda 50/50 in this fight but ill say hill

I dont think Hill has any shot, but I sure hope she proves me wrong. She is hilarious on Twitter and would be sad to her get cut :(

Tryskellion -
luctaro - Big news in WMMA world today with the announcement of the Invicta 13 fight card, which I like a lot.

I wonder if Ronda will go to the event. Her "lil-sis" is fighting after all. But big and mean not-135 Cyborg will be there too, so maybe she leaves early...

Yes it appears Cyborg will be fighting Faith Van Duin who is on a 1 fight win streak. Should be real competitive.
Hey that's better than Gus and his current streak. Phone Post 3.0

Tryskellion - 
luctaro - Big news in WMMA world today with the announcement of the Invicta 13 fight card, which I like a lot.

Yes it appears Cyborg will be fighting Faith Van Duin who is on a 1 fight win streak. Should be real competitive.

To be honest I wouldnt feel better for her if she was on a 5 win streak.

Look at her

http://www.sherdog.com/image_crop.php?image=http://www.origin.sherdog.com/_images/fighter/1374799823faith-van-duin.jpg&&width=200&&height=300

Look at those arms. She has an unathletic look compared to Justino and many other female fighters. She is about to catch a beating.

Sunkist1207 - 
Tryskellion - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Kimbo Kardashian - 

<br />
        <span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53733127"><span class="User-351800" id="userPost53732877">shafir has record of 1-1 how bad can it possibly make her look just two fights ago she was having her pro debut herself</span></span></span></blockquote>
    <br />
    <p>
        <span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53733127">Kimbo Kardashian,&nbsp;</span></span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201"><span class="User-356939" id="userPost53733127">Shafir was expected to steamroll through her opponents and be ready to fight Cris Cyborg by now and things have not gone according to her plan. I assume the aim is to build her back up and make her a, and I say this respectfully &quot;credible&quot; future threat for the FW champ</span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<br />
<span class="User-358732" id="userPost53733201">Maybe the objective is to let her get some experience. You can't build something back up that never was. After 2 pro fights she has the same record as Cyborg did after her first 2 pro fights.</span></blockquote>

Tryskellion, 

In my opinion, Marina was talking a lot and being disrespectful leading up to her pro debut and after. Marina stated that she needed 1 1/2 years to get her hands on Cris and as I mentioned, for the most part MMA fans expected her to steamroll through her opponents. That unfortunatley didnt work out the way she had anticipated. Amanda Bell wrote the blueprint on how to beat Marina and now in my opinion, she needs to be built up again as a and I say this respectfully, "credible" fighter. Who knows what Cris was saying when she lost her pro fight but six months later, she jumped in and beat Vanessa Porto who had more experience. Marina needs 11 months after her loss. Apples and Pears

Cyborg's third fight was against 0-0 Chris Schroeder. 

Her fourth fight was against 0-1 Elaine Santiago de Lima.

Her fifth fight was against 0-0 Marise Vitoria.

Shafir is doing exactly what you would expect a developing fighter to do.  I don't give a damn about how much shit she talked.  Talk is talk and fighting is fighting.  Her talking should have no impact on what fights she takes to further her career.  She clearly overestimated herself and has had to re-evaluate her goals.  Quit crying over spilt milk. 

Steve4192 - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Tryskellion - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Kimbo Kardashian - 

<br />
    <br />
    <p>
    <p>
</blockquote>
<br />

Tryskellion, 

Shafir is doing exactly what you would expect a developing fighter to do.  I don't give a damn about how much shit she talked.  Talk is talk and fighting is fighting.  Her talking should have no impact on what fights she takes to further her career.  She clearly overestimated herself and has had to re-evaluate her goals.  Quit crying over spilt milk. 

I see your point but you also have to keep in mind that Cyborg went straight pro. Her third fight ever was against 0-0. Fourth against 0-1, fifth 0-0, etc.

Marina had a long amateur career with 5 victories. That means that this fight coming up is her 8th fight.
For reference, Shafirs opponent had 4 amateur fights.

Karnak - Sunkist1207

Just because the female Bantamweights have been in the UFC for two years, doesn't mean they should all be given the privilege of headlining impressive under cards, or taking spots on prime UFC PPV's. That's simply being totally unrealistic to the current landscape for all fighters. Male and female.

I'm with you in thinking that every UFC card from now on, should have at least one female fight, but we need to be honest/real about this too; only a few women in the 135 division, are ever going to be co/headlining a fox card any time soon, with the prospect of PPV placement, being a truly horrible way to correctly showcase female fighters anyway.

Yes, we all know Zuffa took a short term no loss gamble, putting PVZ vs Herrig on the bottom of a Fox main card, but we also know that this decision will mean very little in the long run too, once the real order of 115 comes in to play, and a legit line of regular contenders come in to focus.

135 already developed it's order, and holds a series of very established names as contenders; meaning the positive promotional risks for Zuffa in that division remains largely minimal, when we all know few divisions will ever see more than two (maybe three at most) fighters seriously pushed at the same time.

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, I think the idea of a non Rousey, all female UFC fight card, a serious major backward step for WMMA, and likely complete financial failure in the process too. It a nice game to play on paper, but if there's signs of Zuffa ever doing this, fans of WMMA on the main stage should worry.

Karnak, 

Please excuse my tardy response. There are female fighters in the BW who are already known by the MMA fan, would it not be smart for the UFC to build on that? I say this to say that two plus years later and the casual fan more than likely only knows Ronda and why is that? 

In your opinion, how is an all female card a "serious backward step for WMMA"?  Wouldn't that be the best way for the UFC to prove that they are invested in WMMA? 

Steve4192 - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Tryskellion - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Kimbo Kardashian - 

<br />
    <br />
    <p>
    <p>
</blockquote>
<br />

Tryskellion, 

Steve4192,

I agree, Marina is doing what she needs to do to sell herself which is a great quality. However, in my opinion her talking did have a minor effect on her career because after her loss, she chose to take 11 months off before accepting another fight. I appreciate that this is her prerogative but one would assume that a fighter who has  been very vocal about beating the Champ who hasn't been beaten in 13 fights should get back on the horse as soon as possible and brush the loss off.

Sunkist1207 - 
Steve4192 - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Tryskellion - 
Sunkist1207 - 
Kimbo Kardashian - 

<br />
    <br />
    <p>
    <p>
</blockquote>
<br />

Tryskellion, 

Steve4192,

I agree, Marina is doing what she needs to do to sell herself which is a great quality. However, in my opinion her talking did have a minor effect on her career because after her loss, she chose to take 11 months off before accepting another fight. I appreciate that this is her prerogative but one would assume that a fighter who has  been very vocal about beating the Champ who hasn't been beaten in 13 fights should get back on the horse as soon as possible and brush the loss off.

What makes you think she 'chose' to take 11 months off.  I would think you of all people would know how difficult it is for female fighters to land a decent contract and get fights.  She probably spent a good portion of the last 11 months flirting with Bellator before that fell through, and another portion trying to find a better opponent than a chick making her debut.  Eventually, she probably settled for this fight because she sick of sitting on the sidelines.

Steve4192,

I agree with you, There are probably several reasons why Marina took a long lay off, I gave my opinion but  she did address this in either her interview with Ariel or on the Roasted Podcast. Marina said something along the lines of the online comments about her loss upset her for a while.  Colleen Schnieder who is friends with Marina lost her fight on the Invicta 11 card in Feb but travelled to China and fought last week.  Not ideal for everyone but she did what she had to do to put herself back on track. Regarding signing a contract,  Marina said on the Roasted Podcast that she was Interested in Bellator and Invicta but when she went to a Bellator event with the intention of meeting Scott and possibly initiating conversation, that didn't happen so I guess she went with Invicta instead.

TrySkellion,

Why was Cris on a long layoff? No offense but It certainly wasn't because of a loss.

Sunkist1207 - 

Steve4192,

I agree with you, There are probably several reasons why Marina took a long lay off, I gave my opinion but  she did address this in either her interview with Ariel or on the Roasted Podcast. Marina said something along the lines of the online comments about her loss upset her for a while.  Colleen Schnieder who is friends with Marina lost her fight on the Invicta 11 card in Feb but travelled to China and fought last week.  Not ideal for everyone but she did what she had to do to put herself back on track. Regarding signing a contract,  Marina said on the Roasted Podcast that she was Interested in Bellator and Invicta but when she went to a Bellator event with the intention of meeting Scott and possibly initiating conversation, that didn't happen so I guess she went with Invicta instead.

TrySkellion,

Why was Cris on a long layoff? No offense but It certainly wasn't because of a loss.

so your gonna hate on shafir for not fighting for a few months but praise cyborg whos only fought 3 times in almost 5 years cmon

Kimbo Kardashian - 
Sunkist1207 - 

Steve4192,

TrySkellion,

<br />
<span class="User-351800" id="userPost53736795">so your gonna hate on shafir for not fighting for a few months but praise cyborg whos only fought 3 times in almost 5 years cmon</span></blockquote>

Kimbo Kardashian,

Please point out the "hate" in my post because I do not see it and that is not my intention at all. The point I am making is that for someone who was very vocal about her goals, which is a great way to market ones self, in my opinion took  long to get back on the horse after her loss and as I mentioned, she did attribute some of that delay to the feedback from MMA fans of her loss. I appreciate that every fighter is different and there was the added pressure of fans expecting her to be the 145lb version of Ronda. Anyway that is moot now because she has reevaluated her self, signed to Invicta and is ready to go and good luck to her.

Cris has fought 8 times in the last five years 6 MMA 2 Mauy Thai 

never in the history of mma has an up and coming fighter with little to no fights ever say that they are gonna be the champ one day or i believe i can beat the champ right now nope marina shafir is the only person

Raquel Pa'aluhi is deserving. Her vs Pannie should have been on the Vegas card. How do you leave Pa'aluhi off a card in her backyard?! Phone Post 3.0

What is next for Cyborg in Invicta? Does she call out the new 135 champ to fight at 140 to show she can make the weight? If she stays at 145, who has earned a rematch more, Fiona Muxlow or Jan Finney? Phone Post 3.0