WMMA Discussion Thread

Sunkist1207 -
Nicktheissue265 - Hey guys and gals, one of my best training partners and friends will be making a huge name for herself in WMMA within the next couple years imo. She's been fighting since she was 15 and is sitting at a 3-1 record fighting grown ass women at 17 years old. If you have a moment go give the page on a facebook Gillian "The Valkerie" Noll a view and maybe even a like if you're feeling generous :D much love for the UG and really hoping to see the likes on her page skyrocket with the support of the UG army behind her! Phone Post 3.0

Hello Nicktheissue265

If you dont mind, I will post the information below for those viewing to get to know Gillian better. Please ask her to stop by and say hello :)

Gillian "The Valkyrie" Noll  3-1 Amateur 135lb div

https://www.facebook.com/gillianvalkyrienoll/timeline?ref=page_internal

Local northwest MMA fighter. Having her first fight only at 15, she is a true young blood in the sport! 

TTT for the Valkerie Phone Post 3.0

Had an idea for how the UFC could do Women's Flyweight.

It occurs to me that with the rise of Joanna Jedrzejczyk, the UFC may be thinking about accelerating their plans for an a third women's division. Their Women's Bantamweight Champion is the largest consistent draw in the company, and now Joanna Champion's star is absolutely exploding. She can't headline PPVs yet, but she could co-main most of them, and is well on her way to being a marquee draw. A Flyweight division is an opportunity for yet another star.

So I put together a blueprint on how to put together a Women's Flyweight division, in theory.

The parameters:

-I ignored already booked matches since this is all just proof of concept, and I'm assuming Bethe Correia loses anyway, but I did not ignore long-term plans for SW and BW.

-I tried to compensate Invicta somewhat for the talent that gets taken from them here, since it's quite a lot.

-I tried to replace anyone moving up from Strawweight or going down from Bantamweight (particularly the latter), since those aren't enormous divisions or anything. Each division lost at least one really major component but will recover.

-I almost entirely left out people who are coming off a loss unless it's a loss to someone else I'm taking (but not two consecutive ones).

Result: I got a new UFC Flyweight roster with 18 fighters on it. The BW and SW divisions stayed the same size. Each lost a very important fighter. However, Strawweight gained nearly as much as it lost. Invicta got hit (I took 15 fighters from them), but was compensated enough to maintain viable divisions, and their Strawweight developmental pool is still particularly deep.

I tried to rank the hypothetical top 10 in the new division, which could be used in a tournament (with 2 alternates).

Your new UFC Flyweight roster
Dropping from BW:
-Jessica Andrade (#5)
-Liz Carmouche (#2)
-Bethe Correia - (#4)
-Rin Nakai (#10)
-Leslie Smith (#9)
-Miesha Tate - (#1)
Going up from SW:
-Nina Ansaroff
-Aisling Daly
-Claudia Gadelha - (#6)
-Valerie Letourneau
-Jessica Rakoczy
Outside FLWs:
-Shayna Baszler (yes I would re-hire her for this)
-DeAnna Bennett (#8) (I'm aware she just dropped to SW, would still bring her in at FLW)
-Kate Da Silva
-Barb Honchak - (#3)
-Tara LaRosa
-Jennifer Maia
-Vanessa Porto (#7)

Compensation for UFC divisional losses
Replacement BWs:
-Irene Aldana
-Tonya Evinger
-Pannie Kianzad
-Lina Akhtar Lansberg
-Jessy Rose-Clark
-Miriam Nakamoto (rumored to already be under contract)
Replacement SWs:
-Stephanie Eggink
-Alexa Grasso (rumored to already be under contract)
-Katja Kankaanpaa
-Karolina Kowalkiewicz
-Amy Montenegro

Compensation for Invicta
-Marciea Allen - BW
-Agniezska Niedwiedz - BW
-Valentina Shevchenko - BW
-Colleen Schneider - BW/FLW
-Brenda Gonzales - FLW
-Rhiannon Thompson - FLW
-Juliana Werner - FLW
-Kalindra Faria - SW
-Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger - SW
-Viviane Pereira - SW

Some key SW/FLW/BW fighters Invicta can still utilize
-Ediane Gomes - BW/FW
-Sarah D'Alelio - BW
-Cindy Dandois -BW
-Raquel Pa'aluhi - BW
-Zoila Frausto - FLW
-Takayo Hashi - FLW
-Munah Holland - FLW
-Roxanne Modafferi - FLW
-Lynn Alvarez - SW
-Alida Gray - SW
-Mizuki Inoue - SW (as much as I would like to take her, I'd like her to get back in the win column first)
-Livia Renata Souza - SW
-Ashley Cummins - SW/AW
-Brianna VanBuren - SW/AW

UFC "Flyweights" I would keep at Bantamweight
-Jessica Eye: has stated she prefers BW because she
had trouble making weight, and is a contender at BW.
-Julianna Pena: only had one fight at FLW, and she lost.
Meanwhile she's a darkhorse contender with a built-in
storyline if she reaches Rousey.
-Cat Zingano: Was already absolutely enormous at FLW,
and is even larger now.

Some fighters I would avoid
-Julia Berezikova: Russian ultranationalist (trust me this is not the sort of attention the UFC wants in Europe).
-Sheila Gaff: one of the dirtiest fighters in the sport.

Too many divisions and events = the diluted UFC of today. You put a lot of thought in this just to have Tate v Rousey 3 at FLW with the same result as every Rousey fight. Phone Post 3.0

^ Why would Rousey fight Tate at FLW? Even if Rousey could make 125 lbs (which I doubt) why would she when she's already the champ in a higher division?

Women's FLW is the obvious next step for WMMA in the UFC. I suspect Meisha would end up as champion and she's very marketable.

Chromium - 

It occurs to me that with the rise of Joanna Jedrzejczyk, the UFC may be thinking about accelerating their plans for an a third women's division. Their Women's Bantamweight Champion is the largest consistent draw in the company, and now Joanna Champion's star is absolutely exploding. She can't headline PPVs yet, but she could co-main most of them, and is well on her way to being a marquee draw. A Flyweight division is an opportunity for yet another star.

So I put together a blueprint on how to put together a Women's Flyweight division, in theory.

The parameters:

-I ignored already booked matches since this is all just proof of concept, and I'm assuming Bethe Correia loses anyway, but I did not ignore long-term plans for SW and BW.

-I tried to compensate Invicta somewhat for the talent that gets taken from them here, since it's quite a lot.

-I tried to replace anyone moving up from Strawweight or going down from Bantamweight (particularly the latter), since those aren't enormous divisions or anything. Each division lost at least one really major component but will recover.

-I almost entirely left out people who are coming off a loss unless it's a loss to someone else I'm taking (but not two consecutive ones).

Result: I got a new UFC Flyweight roster with 18 fighters on it. The BW and SW divisions stayed the same size. Each lost a very important fighter. However, Strawweight gained nearly as much as it lost. Invicta got hit (I took 15 fighters from them), but was compensated enough to maintain viable divisions, and their Strawweight developmental pool is still particularly deep.

I tried to rank the hypothetical top 10 in the new division, which could be used in a tournament (with 2 alternates).

Dropping from BW:

-Jessica Andrade (#5)

-Liz Carmouche (#2)

-Bethe Correia - (#4)

-Rin Nakai (#10)

-Leslie Smith (#9)

-Miesha Tate - (#1)

Going up from SW:

-Nina Ansaroff

-Aisling Daly

-Claudia Gadelha - (#6)

-Valerie Letourneau

-Jessica Rakoczy

Outside FLWs:

-DeAnna Bennett (#8) (I'm aware she just dropped to SW, would still bring her in at FLW)

-Kate Da Silva

-Barb Honchak - (#3)

-Tara LaRosa

-Jennifer Maia

-Vanessa Porto (#7)

Replacement BWs:

-Irene Aldana

-Tonya Evinger

-Pannie Kianzad

-Lina Akhtar Lansberg

-Jessy Rose-Clark

Replacement SWs:

-Stephanie Eggink

-Katja Kankaanpaa

-Karolina Kowalkiewicz

-Amy Montenegro

Compensation for Invicta

-Marciea Allen - BW

-Brenda Gonzales - FLW

-Rhiannon Thompson - FLW

-Juliana Werner - FLW

-Kalindra Faria - SW

-Viviane Pereira - SW

-Ediane Gomes - BW/FW

-Sarah D'Alelio - BW

-Cindy Dandois -BW

-Raquel Pa'aluhi - BW

-Zoila Frausto - FLW

-Takayo Hashi - FLW

-Munah Holland - FLW

-Roxanne Modafferi - FLW

-Lynn Alvarez - SW

-Alida Gray - SW

-Mizuki Inoue - SW (as much as I would like to take her, I'd like her to get back in the win column first)

-Livia Renata Souza - SW

-Ashley Cummins - SW/AW

and is even larger now.

-Julia Berezikova: Russian ultranationalist (trust me this is not the sort of attention the UFC wants in Europe).

Chromium, 

Really good idea. we have mentioned before in this or other threads that if the UFC were to open a 125lb division, several of the fighters at 135 will go down to their natural fight class. Even though it is fantasy at this stage, I am really excited at this prospect. several interesting match ups

Sheila Gaff signed a 6-fight deal with XFC so she is not going anywhere right now. Are you referring to her slipping in a punch instead of the glove touch?

Miesha Tate interview, also talks about her upcoming role in the movie Fight Valley

Sunkist1207 -
Chromium - 

The parameters:

Dropping from BW:

-Jessica Andrade (#5)

-Liz Carmouche (#2)

-Bethe Correia - (#4)

-Rin Nakai (#10)

-Leslie Smith (#9)

-Miesha Tate - (#1)

Going up from SW:

-Nina Ansaroff

-Aisling Daly

-Claudia Gadelha - (#6)

-Valerie Letourneau

-Jessica Rakoczy

Outside FLWs:

-Kate Da Silva

-Barb Honchak - (#3)

-Tara LaRosa

-Jennifer Maia

-Vanessa Porto (#7)

Replacement BWs:

-Irene Aldana

-Tonya Evinger

-Pannie Kianzad

-Lina Akhtar Lansberg

-Jessy Rose-Clark

Replacement SWs:

-Stephanie Eggink

-Katja Kankaanpaa

-Karolina Kowalkiewicz

-Amy Montenegro

Compensation for Invicta

-Marciea Allen - BW

-Brenda Gonzales - FLW

-Rhiannon Thompson - FLW

-Juliana Werner - FLW

-Kalindra Faria - SW

-Viviane Pereira - SW

-Ediane Gomes - BW/FW

-Sarah D'Alelio - BW

-Cindy Dandois -BW

-Raquel Pa'aluhi - BW

-Zoila Frausto - FLW

-Takayo Hashi - FLW

-Munah Holland - FLW

-Roxanne Modafferi - FLW

-Lynn Alvarez - SW

-Alida Gray - SW

-Livia Renata Souza - SW

-Ashley Cummins - SW/AW

and is even larger now.

Chromium, 

Really good idea. we have mentioned before in this or other threads that if the UFC were to open a 125lb division, several of the fighters at 135 will go down to their natural fight class. Even though it is fantasy at this stage, I am really excited at this prospect. several interesting match ups

Sheila Gaff signed a 6-fight deal with XFC so she is not going anywhere right now. Are you referring to her slipping in a punch instead of the glove touch?

Not just that. Watch the end of her fight with Cindy Dandois. Also Rosi Sexton raised $6000 for VADA testing in a fight between the two and she ducked out about two weeks out, without enough time to find a replacement. Phone Post 3.0

Chromium, 

Thank you for letting me know. I have searched for the Gaff vs Dandois fight and for some reason the content has been removed from the internet. I did read that Gaff illegally kneed Dandois in the head

I will be undergoing surgery as a result of a shoulder injury from my last fight. I will be out6-8months.

Meet Heather "Hurricane"  Clark  7-4 Straw weight fighter currently signed to UFC. Heather starred on season 20 of TUF and has a notable win over Bec Rawlings

Can a wonderful member please explain to me how to post video clips from Instagram? Thank you in advance

In the meantime, here is a clip of Pannie Kianzad  getting ready for her Invicta debut

https://instagram.com/p/4McrJTK4Ge/

Here is a clip of Irene Aldana getting ready for her title fight

https://instagram.com/p/4KuOYsNVfX

Here is a clip of Cris Cyborg getting ready to defend her title at Invicta 13

https://instagram.com/p/337-muhUEj/

So I have to get my medicals all done before I go for my fight against Cris Cyborg in just under 3wks and I need a MRI which awesomely costs around $2000 to $2500 so my AWESOME supplement sponsor Mass Nutrition Mount Maunganui has given me a ladies supplement pack to raffle off to help towards these costs smile emoticon $5 A ticket and will draw on Thursday 25th of June. Please PM me if you would like a ticket smile emoticonThank you all
Miss Nutrition pack value $250
Beauty Strong Pre Workout
Beauty Recover Amino Acids
BSC Body Womens Protein 
Miss Nutrition IPhone Case
Miss Nutrition Singlet
Kiwistrength Pink Lifting Straps
Pink Smartshaker

What say you? Should the cost of pre fight physical examinations  be the responsibility of the fighter or the promotion?

I appreciate that money might be an issue but why would Faith wait until three weeks till her fight date to get medically cleared? what if she isnt medically cleared? 

Sunkist1207 - 

So I have to get my medicals all done before I go for my fight against Cris Cyborg in just under 3wks and I need a MRI which awesomely costs around $2000 to $2500 so my AWESOME supplement sponsor Mass Nutrition Mount Maunganui has given me a ladies supplement pack to raffle off to help towards these costs smile emoticon $5 A ticket and will draw on Thursday 25th of June. Please PM me if you would like a ticket smile emoticonThank you all

BSC Body Womens Protein 

Miss Nutrition Singlet

Pink Smartshaker

What say you? Should the cost of pre fight physical examinations  be the responsibility of the fighter or the promotion?

I appreciate that money might be an issue but why would Faith wait until three weeks till her fight date to get medically cleared? what if she isnt medically cleared? 

I would prefer to see promotions have a doctor on hand to do the pre-fight checkups. It doesn't seem like something fighters should have to pay out of pocket.

Kudos to her for getting her hustle on though. Smart lady.

Happy Belated Birthday Bethe!. Bethe celebrated her 32nd birthday yesterday

Cris gets nasty messages on her Instagram but wow, some of the hateful comments on Bethes Instagram are something else

StrikingMMA - 
Sunkist1207 - 

BSC Body Womens Protein 
Miss Nutrition Singlet
Pink Smartshaker

<br />
<span class="User-215188" id="userPost53853408">I would prefer to see promotions have a doctor on hand to do the pre-fight checkups. It doesn't seem like something fighters should have to pay out of pocket.<br />
<br />
Kudos to her for getting her hustle on though. Smart lady.</span></blockquote>

Hey StrikingMMA :)

I totally agree with you on the promotion having a Doctor on hand to take care of things like this. Or at the very least, cover half the cost

Charmaine “Not So Sweet” Tweet, signs on with three huge new forces in her fight camp. Making it clear she will make a run at the135 division later this year, Charmaine has enlisted the support of, top Nutritionist, Eric Triliegi to ensure she can make the cut in a healthy and strong fashion. “I’m tired of listening to all excuses of why certain fighters can’t or won’t make weight. I am an athlete who’s sport happens to be MMA, and I want to continue to test myself to my full potential." In addition, Charmaine has brought on long time strength and conditioning coach Jordan Donnelly to make ensure she will be have a newly designed body when she steps back in the cage at 135 later this year!! Last, but certainly not least, Team Tweet has moved management camps to renowned UFC Manger Chuck Wichert and MMA United Sports Entertainment Group. Husband and long time manger, Cord Crowthers , supports this move 100% and feels that the rebuilding and rebranding of Charmaine as an athlete had to be done now, on all fronts to reintroduce her to the world as a new WMMA force to be reckoned with. 
Charmaine’s transformation begins today and her goals have been set out by herself and the team…The WMMA world and the Bantam weight division should be on guard . Charmaine will no doubt be one of the biggest fastest and strongest 135 in the World.
https://www.facebook.com/notsosweetmma

What say you?
I am not sure how I feel about Charmaine going down two weight classes. I am not a medical professional but will that be healthy for a 6ft 1 female? she will have to cut more weight than Cris will for 135 and I say this respectfully, her run at 135 may end up like Peggy Morgan's 135lb run. I wish her the best and kudos to her for attempting the challenge. Charmaine has really evolved lately in terms of her dedication to her craft. Good for her
Shogun of Harlem - Sunkist - how do you think Felice would do against Joanna? Phone Post 3.0

Hey Shogun of Harlem, 

This is an interesting one. They both come from a MT background but I say this respectfully,  the size of Joanna will end up being too much for Felice. If my memory serves me correctly, the fighters who Felice has lost to have either been bigger than her or better on the ground. Joanna is a natural 125er who fought at that weight until last year. This is the reason why I have mentioned Justin Kish several times. Justine is also a big 115er and in my opinion the dark horse of the SW division

What say you?

DalyDentedDecimated'sDome - 
Sunkist1207 - 

BSC Body Womens Protein 
Miss Nutrition Singlet
Pink Smartshaker

Ideally, the promotion, but Invicita is a small operation, it's not as if they are raking in the dough.  I called in to a radio a show with the promotional malpractice guy Luke Thomas. he said that Womens' MMA is and never wil be a mainstream or a big draw unless it's coattailing on mens MMA. That may well be the case, though i wish it was the opposite.  There isn't "mad loot" in a women's only promotion, under current business and advertisement efforts.

FIghters should bear the cost of this, because in Invicta's case, they run the risk of a fighter not passing the exam.  And then their money is wasted.   The fighters themselves should look after their own health care.

If invicta had tens of millions in the bank, then i'd argue that they should pay.

A far as Faith waiting close until the fight date to have the exam...welll, we always put off expensive and important things, it's human nature.  Or if a nagging ache emerges, you  hope you can "wait it out" until it goes away.

DaleyDentedDecimated'sDome, 

In my opinion there is money in WMMA, Ronda Rousey plus the UFC PR machine has proven that. The UFC need to invest in ALL the women on their roster for a return on investment.  I am inclined to believe that the UFC have more of a stake in Invicta than either party cares to make public knowledge which is fine. In my opinon, somewhere down the line we will see full invicta cards on UFC prelims or maybe even title fights on a prelim. With respect, Shannon is too smart to not be looking at the bigger picture considering she allowed the UFC to acquire the majority of the SWs for TUF

Like StrikingMMA said, A good idea would be for each promotion to have an in house Doctor to take care of fighters pre fight check ups. Realistically, how much of a cost would that be to Invicta?  If Invicta say they are going to charge each athlete $500 or something like that  for pre fight medicals, the $2-3K that someone like Faith would pay wouldnt exist and in my opinion this makes sense for Invicta from a business point of view

I still have not figured out how to post video clips from Instagram or recieved any advice on how to go about it. 

In the meantime, here are clips of Marina Shafir getting ready for her Invicta debut on the 9th July

https://instagram.com/p/4AgAJNu1ku

https://instagram.com/p/39wwr3u1mQ

Meet Jamie Moyle a 2-0 Straw weight currently signed to Invicta. Jamie will be making her second appearance on an Invicta fight card on the 9th July when she face 6-1 Amy "resurrection" Montenegro

Amy "resurrection" Montenegro