WMMA Discussion Thread

marinashafir Happy Passover!

We are just one week away from Anna Elmose (3-0) stepping into the Octagon for the first time. The Rumble Sports fighter will be jumping into the deep end as she faces a Dutch world champion kick boxer turned MMA fighter Germaine de Randamie (5-3). “On paper, she’s way better than me. The thing is, this won’t be fought on a piece of paper, now will it? We’ll be in a cage throwing down. I’m booming with confidence, I’ve had tremendous results in sparring against top fighters from all kinds of disciplines, I know I can knock anyone out at any given time and I’m evolving rapidly from week to week.” says “Panda” to MMAViking.com as the fight approaches.

“Germaine de Randamie is way taller, so we might see Tue getting the broomstick out of the closet again, as it’s no secret I’ll have to close the distance to reach the Dutch fighter’s head. But giving away height and reach is something I’ve been used to from the very get-go. I’ve actually never been in a fight, where I’ve had height or reach on my opponent, so it doesn’t really matter much to me.”

The power of Elmose has been her signature so far in her young career, with punches stopping all three of her pro bouts.  The bar will be raised in terms of experience and opponents, as  “The Iron Lady” has a two wins and one loss in the UFC, plus two wins and one loss in Strikeforce.

The bout will take place on the main card of the first time the Octagon lands in Holland.  “I’m preparing myself for every single possible scenario. You never know, what’s going to happen. She might be looking to take me down, and if I go in there expecting this to be a toe-to-toe war, that could surprise me a lot. So, I try to keep an open mind, and just have fun, basically.”

“She’s an undefeated thaiboxer, who is recognised as possible the best female thaiboxer of all time with 10 World titles or something like that to her resume. I believe she’s also ranked number 13 in the UFC. This means, I can go into this fight with no pressure at all. If she wins the fight, well that was what could be expected, right? But if I win… Low and behold, I’ll defeat a legend in my UFC-debut after only three fights, and I’ll rocket myself directly into the absolute elite. I love these type of fights!”

The Dane however is putting herself in the right mindset to perform.  “I’m going into that cage without any kind of pressure and with all that positivity behind me. I can’t promise a victory, but I can promise you this: I will give it my everything. I’m going to fight her all out for 15 minutes, and I’ll always know, that I’m one small punch away from a massive upset win over a true legend.”

http://www.mmaviking.com/anna-elmose-im-one-small-punch-away-from-a-massive-upset-win/

Olympic  Judo Gold medalist Kayla Harrison talks about a possible transition to MMA

punishment99 ATTENTION @punishment99 and @invictafc Fights Fans: Invicta Fighting Championships is coming back to #OrangeCounty, California on Saturday, May 7, 2016. (THAT'S NEXT WEEK!! ??????) Punishment Athletics is once again teaming up and sponsoring this event. We are giving away a FREE Punishment Beanie to everyone who purchases tickets from www.cagetix.com. Under pick "your fighter" select "Punishment" from the drop down menu and we'll hook you up with your beanie next Saturday night. #Invicta #InvictaFC #MMA#WMMA #WomensMMA #MMAGear #Free #FreeBeanies #FreeBeanie #Beanies#MMAFans #TeamPunishment #MMAApparel #MMAClothing
2 days ago (Apr 30 2016 12:19:54) | Photo Filter: Normal

BW Serena DeJesus is quietly making a name for herself on the amateur circuit. I believe I mentioned Serena on the first page of this thread. She recently improved her record to 4-0 and is also 2-0 in MT. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets the call soon from Invicta. Serena will also be starring in Fight Valley with Cris, Miesha and Holly

2014 – NAGA Pennsylvania Grappling Championship, No Gi Intermediate Middleweight (Gold)
2014 – NAGA Pennsylvania Grappling Championship, Blue Belt Gi Intermediate Middleweight (Gold)

The first female SW bout on the new season of TUF

tatianasuarezpadilla Who's ready for this fight? Come watch me fight at Zendejas Mexican Restaurant in San Dimas,Ca. Party starts at 6:30pm. Show starts at 7pm. Let's do this! #bjj #wrestling #fighter #ufc #muaythai #tuf #mma#wmma #fight #letsgo #fighters #tuf23 #fit #fitness #fitchick #bestshow #fs1#foxsports1 #fitspo

Sunkist1207 - 

BW Serena DeJesus is quietly making a name for herself on the amateur circuit. I believe I mentioned Serena on the first page of this thread. She recently improved her record to 4-0 and is also 2-0 in MT. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets the call soon from Invicta. Serena will also be starring in Fight Valley with Cris, Miesha and Holly

2014 – NAGA Pennsylvania Grappling Championship, No Gi Intermediate Middleweight (Gold)

2014 – NAGA Pennsylvania Grappling Championship, Blue Belt Gi Intermediate Middleweight (Gold)

Thank you for the kind words! I hope I get the call to Invicta as well

SerenaSouthpaw - 
Sunkist1207 - 

Thank you for the kind words! I hope I get the call to Invicta as well

Thank you for posting Serena.

With humility,  I will say that this is a lucky thread( or maybe a coincidence) because  several of the fighters discussed here have been signed by major promotions so I have no doubt that we will see you in Invicta soon! Good luck :)

Upcoming WMMA bouts in the UFC

Dear Sean Shelby  Julie Kedzie and Kaitlyn Young, 

I hope you are all well. With respect, if you don't mind me asking, what is the hold up in signing Viviane  Pereira to the SW division? 22 year old Viviane is 11-0 and recently captured the XFC SW title. In her third professional fight she defeated boxing champion Duda Yankovich by TKO then went on to defeat Team Nova Uniao FLW prospect and XFC tournament champion, Poliana Botelho. In my opinion, Viviane will be an awesome addition to  the UFC or Invicta SW roster and I am already getting excited at the thought of a match up between Viviane and Livia "Baby Diaz" Souza or Viviane vs Paige van Zant . I do not anticipate a response but I am hoping the good karma fairies somehow  sweetly whisper my request  of Viviane signing to to UFC/Invicta into your ears

Respectfully yours

Sunkist1207

Congrats to Kaline, she recently fought for Bellator and tried out for TUF

Kaline Medeiros Replaces MIZUKI at Invicta FC 17

May 2, 2016/by Rob Tatum
Kansas City, Mo. -- The fight card for Invicta Fighting Championships 17 has undergone some last-minute changes.

The promotion has announced that a training injury has forced Japan's MIZUKI (11-4) from her strawweight clash with Brazilian Aline Serio (9-5).

Replacing MIZUKI will be veteran Kaline Medeiros (6-4). "The Dark Angel" will make her Invicta debut riding the momentum of a three-fight winning streak. The native Brazilian, who now fights out of the United States, holds wins over Invicta veterans Stephanie Eggink and Kathina Catron.

Additionally, the atomweight contest between promotional newcomers Tessa Simpson (4-1) and Julia Jones (4-0) has been removed from the event.

http://www.invictafc.com/2016/05/02/kaline-medeiros-replaces-mizuki-at-invicta-fc-17/

NOW ITS TIME!! I have been waiting for this in a long time live on UFC fight pass Saturday May 7

For those asking vs. is off due to Jones being injured ??

mieshatate #Repost @xcmma with @repostapp ??? Spots are limited for our 3 day camp featuring Randy Couture, Miesha Tate, and Ray Sefo. Don't miss this opportunity to learn from 3 world champions! Details on our website at Xtremecouturemma.com @xcnatch @mieshatate @sugarraysefo

COST: $500  
$150 Non Refundable Registration Fee is required at time of registration. The remaining balance will be charged two weeks before the event.

Sunkist1207 - 

Olympic  Judo Gold medalist Kayla Harrison talks about a possible transition to MMA

Kayla is one of the finest examples of a good human being possible. thanks

Paige did very well last night, a perfect score of 30/30. In my opinion she will fight on the UFC 200 card

https://streamable.com/wi63

Please find below an interview with Laura Howarth who will be welcoming Alexa Conners to Invicta(will be making her pro debut) on May 7th.   I mentioned Laura on on the first page of this thread so I am glad that she is finally getting a fight

Please find below and Interview with Invicta BW champ Tonya Evinger. In my opinion and I say this respectfully, Invicta is the right promotion for Tonya, she is respected, pretty much treated like a rock star and will be headlining her second event on Saturday. I agree with the comments Tonya made about how she will forsee a career in the UFC  and she mentioned in another interview that she is currently a free agent but I do hope she re-signs with Invicta.

However, I am surprised by the comment she made at 9:02 of the interview regarding Cris ever making 135. For those that do not have time to watch the interview, Tonya said Cris can make 135 if "she cuts her dick off". I could be wrong and pardon me if I am, Cris has never said anything disrespectful about Tonya and she rarely mentions Tonya's name and only  recently mentioned Tonya on Instagram to promote the upcoming Invicta event and Tonya's fight. In my opinion that was not cool of Tonya to say that even in jest and maybe she shouldve espressed her opnion to Cris when they took the photo below. Tonya mentioned in another interview that she offered to fight Cris several times but not for the money she makes but is interested in dropping to 125 to be a two division champion. 

Another thing Tonya mentioned, she said Cris was signed to he UFC when she joined Invicta but that is not true considering it is public knowledge that Cris signed to he UFC before her fight with Charmaine Tweet last year. 

criscyborg Today is a special anniversary in the sport of WMMA as @invictafccelebrates 4 years of successfully opening doors for female athletes while promoting their skills inside the cage. Many of the female stars you see in the @ufc today got that opportunity because of the work individuals like Shannon Knapp and her team have done behind the scenes. I hope that with the new attention #TeamCyborg gets at #ufc198 fans will continue to be introduced to and support @invictafc. Ilook forward to returning to my division to defend the belt and love fighting for a female ran promotion! Fans of #WMMA be sure to support #invicta17 as @tonya_evinger looks to defend her world championship may 7th at the OC fair grounds live on @ufcfightpass!!

Khabib revealed in a recent interview that Joanna Jedrzejczyk wanted him as the wrestling coach for TUF 23 but he declined.

Please find below excerpts from a recent Joanne Calderwood interview. Please click the link to read full interview

Calderwood said Monday that the idea originated when UFC matchmaker Sean Shelbycalled and asked her to fight on seven weeks' notice at UFC Fight Night 89. Calderwood wanted to accept the fight, however it usually takes her upwards of 10 weeks to cut down to the strawweight limit, so she wondered if it could be contested at a catchweight instead.

"I just asked him out there, like, (take a) chance," Calderwood said on The MMA Hour. "I knew I was asking for him to be like, ‘shut up b*tch and get on with your day, you've signed your contract at 115.' But actually he got back to me and he was like, ‘I'll let you know.'

"Then, next time, he was like, ‘okay, what about Valerie at 125?' I was like perfect, let's do it. He was like, ‘okay, I'll try and get the green light.' Then he did, and Bob's your uncle, what you don't ask for, you don't get."

"I could probably make 115 in the next seven weeks, but I just didn't want to kill myself," Calderwood said. "It's been hard. I haven't been walking around at my normal walk-around weight. When I did it when I was going into the (The Ultimate Fighter) house, 10 months before, and then when I was in the house, I was miserable. I was like eating two eggs and just chicken and spinach.

"I just don't want to walk around like that. Obviously I want to walk around healthy and happy, so it's been hard. Usually when I make 115, I usually need like 10 weeks' notice and just bring it down gradually. But the fights that were coming up were like short notice. If it's 125, I could easily make these fights and I could take them on short notice. But 115, it'd kill me."

Calderwood hopes that happens. She said 125 pounds is a more natural division for her and fighting at that weight would allow her to be more active by taking short notice bouts. And in that regard, she knows she's not alone.

"I think there's going to be a lot of girls who want to come down and want to come up," Calderwood said. "So I think an interesting thing to do. I don't know if it will (become a new division) or not, but you know what the UFC is like, they're usually one step ahead and they probably have maybe been thinking about it. Let's hope they have been."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/2/11570694/joanne-calderwood-theres-going-to-be-a-lot-of-women-in-the-ufc-who