Woodley thanks Masvidal for unf@$%ing his head

Tyron Woodley fights Colby Covington - at last - in the main event of UFC on ESPN+ 36 on September 19, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Woodley is coming off back to back losses for the first time in his career, to Kamaru Usman and Gilbert Burns, and despises his former ATT teammate "Chaos". So there is a lot riding on the fight.

During a recent appearance on The Ariel Helwani Show, Woodley said he's finding inspiration from Jorge Masvidal. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and both Woodley and Masvidal loathe Covington. But Woodley has moved away from training at ATT headquarters in Coconut Creek, Florida, and now trains at his ATT Evolution in St. Louis with former ATT coach Din Thomas, and at Roufusport. The latter gym is home to Ben Askren, who does exchange Christmas cards with Masvidal.

“So before Masvidal even came here, I called Ben and said ‘I’m gonna train with Jorge for this fight. He wants to come out, he wants to help me, he wants to work with me. It benefits him as much as it does me, to be honest, but I’m not gonna turn down this deal. I don’t know how you feel about it.’ But I can’t make his enemy my enemy," said Woodley. "And you’ve heard Ben talk about it, Ben’s really not an enemy to him. He did what he needed to do to build the fight, it happened the way it happened, but it happens. Sometimes you get f***ed up, you get knocked out. We’ve all had it happen and if you haven’t had it happen to you—unless you’re Khabib—you’re gonna have it happen to you.

“So I started training with [Masvidal] and he has such a good time that he said, ‘You know what, I’ve had such a good time that I’m gonna go home for a day or two and then come back out,’ and he came back out. We’re just iron sharpening iron.”

“When he reached out, I said, ‘Hell yeah, let’s get him in.’” It’s really solid because you’ve got two dudes who are the same. We both came from the gutter when you think about it and we both found a way to stick with it and we’ve had a long career because of our IQ and because we put ourselves in uncomfortable situations in training so that we can thrive in the Octagon. And I want to see him do well. I want to see him continue to make the money, do what he wants to do, and he wants to see me back on top.”

“We had several conversations even before this happened: ‘Tyron, get your head straight. My head was f***ed up and now I cleared it up, look what happened. Till, Ben, da da da, I went on a run. You’ve got to do the same thing,'" related Woodley." So he kinda gave me the motivation and accountability because I didn’t want to let him down. He hit me up personally about a year and a half ago and told me there were some toxic things in my life that I needed to erase, and I’ve erased those things and now I can breathe, now I can float. Now I’m back, and it feels good, and I’ve really got to thank him for that.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=430lFu3RIiA&feature=youtu.be

h/t Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting

Sure...

1 Like

Ok Tyron. 

1 Like

Two guys hanging out that can’t beat Colby and super sour about it. 

3 Likes
Vikingknee - 

Both guys have made a shit ton more money than Colby ever will in the UFC. And they dont need to pay $5 models to stand next to them. I doubt they are sour

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to them teaming up on the Rap scene. Their first duet will be fire. 

3 Piece and T-Wood spitting bars…

I think that they will be good for each other.

It’s nice to see kindness between fighters

Im assuming part of that advice was to drop the horrendous rap act.

3 Likes
Don J -
Vikingknee - 

Both guys have made a shit ton more money than Colby ever will in the UFC. And they dont need to pay $5 models to stand next to them. I doubt they are sour

Idk about that…Colby is still VERY young in his game

1 Like

At least he has his Rap Career to fall back on

1 Like

Guess we'll have to see.  Timid, defensive Woodley, who stands against the cage has no chance.  If he comes in and throws some fire with his hands, he either gets taken down, or earns Colby's respect.

Woodley has a lot of tools but mentally has seemed checked out since the Usman fight. 

phatcat -

A couple more songs like this and I can see a Grammy in his future.

https://youtu.be/v6R7R2KjJaI

1 Like
Dashabox -
phatcat -

Tyron has a beautiful voice 

I believe it, actually. Jorge has one of the sharpest minds in the history of MMA. 100% mentally sound.

Tyron has got to be the most unloyal piece of shit in the history of the sport.

1 Like
Don J - 
Vikingknee - 

lol… you might be mostly right… but so is vikingknee

T?bikan J?dan -
Dashabox -
phatcat -

Tyron has a beautiful voice 

Like Nat King Cole.

If he were deaf.

1 Like

Well now at least I know the fight is still on LOL I really thought Woodley had pulled out. But my pull out game has been quite hit and miss lately…

I hope so