Would Barnett be a bad match up for JDS?

Barnett's willingness to win an ugly fight might be what JDS needs to actually have to fight back and not just sit outside and cherry pick.

This would be a f'n war.

FROM MMA WEEKLY-

Josh Barnett believes it's 'pretty likely' he'll end up in UFC after final Strikeforce bout
MixedMartialArts/MMA Fighting, 5 December 2012
Despite years of ups and downs with UFC management, Strikeforce heavyweight Josh Barnett believes he's poised to make the leap to the UFC after Strikeforce stages its final show in January. Despite years of ups and downs with UFC management, Strikeforce heavyweight Josh Barnett believes he's poised to make the leap to the UFC after Strikeforce stages its final show in January. The Warmaster is a pretty upbeat guy these days.
Sure, Josh Barnett lost his last fight in the finals of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix against Daniel Cormier in May of this year, but he's not down and out about it. "I think most people did not give him the credit he was due and deserved," Barnett told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "Also they still don't quite understand how good he really is. I say, besides myself, he's the only other person that could just walk right into the UFC and win the title."
That, in a nutshell, explains Barnett's outlook these days. He's licking his wounds from his loss to Cormier, but Barnett believes he lost to arguably the best heavyweight in the world; one who could win the heavyweight title tomorrow in the UFC if given the opportunity. And it's not like he doesn't see himself in a position to do the same thing. For those familiar with the history of the UFC, that might sound strange. Barnett and UFC President Dana White have long had a history of shared animosity largely a by-product of Barnett's 2002 dismissal from the UFC. Despite being the heavyweight champion and defeating Randy Couture at UFC 36, Barnett tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.
From there the two spent years jabbing at each other in the press. This didn't happen every day and was very seldom full of venom, but it happened. At one point, it got serious enough that White stated Barnett would never fight in the UFC. But times have changed and the Zuffa purchase of Strikeforce certainly put quelled some of the discord. Barnett called White 'metal’. White said even this year he'd be open to Barnett in the UFC.
In other words, Barnett has a lot to be optimistic about. "I think it's pretty likely," Barnett said about the prospects of signing with the UFC. "I think it's a good fit for a person like me. I mean, unless you don't want me to go in there and beat all those dudes up and completely throw your rankings out of whack, and change the whole perception of who the best heavyweights in the world are. Now if you don't want that, then yeah, definitely don't bring me over. But if you just want to have the biggest and best collection of heavyweights in the world, then you've got to have me there." "I want to go where the opportunity is best," Barnett continued. "And I like the idea of that full roster over there being at my disposal to be disposed of. I've been in this game longer than the new version of the UFC has, so I'm sure that my management and everybody will work it out to wherever fits best, that's where I'll be."
Timing is not on Barnett's side, however, if he wants to do important work in the UFC. He's 35 years of age and while still competitive, he knows he's closer to retirement than the beginning of his career. Still, he rejects the idea that retirement is imminent or that he can't compete with the best. As such, he's unwilling to say 'when' his retirement will come even if he acknowledges there's no escaping a future a future where he isn't an active fighter.
"I've been asked this, hell, since I've been 30. The more I thought about it, the more it really just came to a very stark and simple explanation that to come up with a number, or a number of fights or a length of time, or anything like that, you can't predict that sort of thing," Barnett said of retirement. "You really can't. Let's say [you predict] five more bouts. Then you get to that fifth bout but you're still able and you're capable, and you won all those five bouts and everything is going in your direction and you feel great, why now? Your mindset has already gotten to the point that, ‘I'm supposed to quit.' You're making decisions for yourself before you've even got all the data to fully make an informed choice."
For Barnett, there's still work to do. First there's the task of defeating little known Brazilian Nandor Guelmino at Strikeforce: Champions in January. Assuming that goes as planned, there's the potential return to the UFC to look forward to. And in the meantime? All 'The Baby Faced Assassin' turned 'Warmaster' really needs is to make the most out of every opportunity as long as the opportunities keep coming. "I just came to the conclusion that I'm going to fight until I can't, and that's it. I'll know when that is. I'll be honest with myself. But otherwise, the opportunity to do this is only one point in your life, and once that opportunity and that window is closed, that's it. You don't get to come back on that one. So might as well take the absolute most out of it as you can.'"

Jds vs mir repeat Phone Post

nah. more competitive than that. probably more like cro cop v. barnett

savage043 - Jds vs mir repeat Phone Post

You crazy!?

Not a chance that Barnett vs JDS looks like JDS vs Mir.

They might have similar styles but they are COMPLETELY different fighters.

Barnett vs JDS would be very, very competitive. If Barnett could get Junior down then he would be in a lot of trouble. Phone Post

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 

You crazy!?

Barnett vs JDS would be very, very competitive. If Barnett could get Junior down then he would be in a lot of trouble. Phone Post

That's what's saying. Mir is slow and has no gas tank, Barnett fought 5 rounds with a broken hand, he's a frickin' animal.

Barnett is not getting JDS down.

JDS is a much better striker than Cormier.

This fight would go very badly for Barnett.

To be honest though I highly doubt he will be able to work his way to a title shot. I don't see him beating JDS, Cain, Overeem, or DC. Phone Post

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -

You crazy!?

This is true but i dont believe barnett COULD take him down in the first essentially the round i expect he gets put to sleep cain couldnt (better wrestler granted got caught early), shane couldnt or big country (guys with i think have similiar but slighty less td skills). Phone Post

can someone post the Cormier fight?

Can that be fight of the year if not in the UFC?

McBottery - Barnett is not getting JDS down.

To be honest though I highly doubt he will be able to work his way to a title shot. I don't see him beating JDS, Cain, Overeem, or DC. Phone Post

Well Cormier is apparently moving down to 205 (I still don't think that will happen).

Cain would have to be careful if he took Barnett down, he wouldn't have an easy time getting Barnett down either because Josh is a great wrestler in his own right, because he could get subbed.

Overeem vs Barnett would be a great fight. I don't think Overeem would be able to "steamroll" Barnett as a lot of the UG seems to think. Barnett is no slouch on the feet and as I've said before, if the fight hits the mat Josh has the ability to tap any HW in the world. Phone Post

McBottery - 

Barnett is not getting JDS down.

Barnett would annihilate Reem. Reem is too one dimensional and barnett would toy with him.

Cain, better match up.

I think Cormier is the best heavy in the world.

I've said on here for 6 month Cormier beats JDS.

chokeyou -
McBottery -  Barnett is not getting JDS down.

Barnett would annihilate Reem. Reem is too one dimensional and barnett would toy with him.

Cain, better match up.

I think Cormier is the best heavy in the world.

I've said on here for 6 month Cormier beats JDS.

Oh jeez, you said it? Well it must be true then. Thread over. Phone Post

Is he not in because of the old feud?

Is that really whats going on?

no he would not. /thread

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -

You crazy!?

And if he couldn't, he would be lucky to get out of the first or second round against JDS. Same as Mir. Phone Post

No, he could not win standing, and I'm not sure he could get the takedown and I don't think could keep JDS down in any case.

If Cain isn't able to take JDS down later this month, I don't see any reason to think Barnett will Phone Post

Barnett vs Mir in the UFC. DMIH! (IMO)

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -

You crazy!?

And if he couldn't, he would be lucky to get out of the first or second round against JDS. Same as Mir. Phone Post

I doubt JDS would finish Barnett.

Barnett is as tough as they come, he has only been KO'd by Rizzo (11 years ago) and finished by Cro Cop in the finale of the 2006 Pride GP. Barnett has a chin of granite and an impossibly large heart.

Barnett would give JDS a war. Phone Post

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -

You crazy!?

Barnett is as tough as they come, he has only been KO'd by Rizzo (11 years ago) and finished by Cro Cop in the finale of the 2006 Pride GP. Barnett has a chin of granite and an impossibly large heart.

Barnett's wrestling is elite.

Don't forget his holding Randy down and beating on him when randy was in his prime. He beat Nog in his prime. Barnett is as good as there ever was.

make fights and i think he forces JDS to an uncomfortable place. No idea who wins (other than the fans) but i'd rather see it than CainvsJDS2.

Zuffa should have JDS fight Cormier, Barnett fight Reem, winners fight for the belt.

Micro turny.

chokeyou -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -

You crazy!?

Barnett's wrestling is elite.

Don't forget his holding Randy down and beating on him when randy was in his prime. He beat Nog in his prime. Barnett is as good as there ever was.

make fights and i think he forces JDS to an uncomfortable place. No idea who wins (other than the fans) but i'd rather see it than CainvsJDS2.

Zuffa should have JDS fight Cormier, Barnett fight Reem, winners fight for the belt.

Micro turny.

Barnett used roids to beat Randy. In fact, that fight made the AC start overturning results if pepple fail the test. Nog decision was not clearcut either. Josh has great subs but his wrestling isn't good enough to take down JDS.... Phone Post