Wrestling should it be banned from UFC ?

Average -
sho0ok -

Lol you noob...it's called MMA.

Very few belts in UFC are with pure wrestlers.

You just mad that khabib won.

Maybe OP is no noob, maybe you are?

This already HAS happened. 

Wrestling and BJJ already did get cut back. You see standups, so if you're going to say "noob" and "mma", then you don't know how it all started. For fuck's sake, we even got standups out of sidemount.

Rounds: Didnt exist and were a clear advantage for grapplers. No clock will let you stand up and catch your breath, after being blanket fucked for 3 straight minutes. 

Then let's go further down the "MMA, you noob" line. Muay Thai: Elbows: Not all of them are allowed (12-6). Knees on the ground (if you want to fit that in MT): Very restricting rules. Kicks on the ground: Same thing. 

So dial it back a bit. Modern MMA has had SEVERE restrictions done, all so that the real noobs like you, would find it enjoayble. 

Actually it's so it could be sanctioned... Get your facts straight. 

wrestling is mad boring tho

'For example little harder to use some of the wrestling rides if the guy on bottom can use 12-6 elbows. Being in someone's guard suddenly becomes more dangerous rather than being an advantageous striking top ride postition.' 

The guy on the bottom/in guard can strike with the point of the elbow as they aren't 12 to 6 (usually 9 to 3).

chupecabre -
Average -
sho0ok -

Lol you noob...it's called MMA.

Very few belts in UFC are with pure wrestlers.

You just mad that khabib won.

Maybe OP is no noob, maybe you are?

This already HAS happened. 

Wrestling and BJJ already did get cut back. You see standups, so if you're going to say "noob" and "mma", then you don't know how it all started. For fuck's sake, we even got standups out of sidemount.

Rounds: Didnt exist and were a clear advantage for grapplers. No clock will let you stand up and catch your breath, after being blanket fucked for 3 straight minutes. 

Then let's go further down the "MMA, you noob" line. Muay Thai: Elbows: Not all of them are allowed (12-6). Knees on the ground (if you want to fit that in MT): Very restricting rules. Kicks on the ground: Same thing. 

So dial it back a bit. Modern MMA has had SEVERE restrictions done, all so that the real noobs like you, would find it enjoayble. 

Actually it's so it could be sanctioned... Get your facts straight. 

Not all of it. Get yours straight too, but I'll agree partially with you. 

williepep - Should the rules be modified to lessen the impact or use of certain aspects of wrestling in the UFC ?

While the current rule set does create an environment where the use of wrestling can lead to championships it also sets the table for boring fights.

Should the UFC be made more fan friendly and create exciting fights by modifying the rules ?

No wrestling shouldn’t be banned that’s ridiculous

Knees/ head kicks to downed opponent would mix it up a bit (both in favor of sprawl n brawlers but also potentially wrestlers)

williepep - A few posters have responded commenting on the Khabib fight or claiming OP is upset because Dustin lost. This is not accurate.

Khabib is a student of Sambo.

Finally got to watch the first round of yesterday’s fight and as a fellow Sambo club champion I am very proud of what Khabib accomplished in round 1. A very nice active, pressuring, yet flowing style.

ur a sambo champ ?? show proof nobody believes u..waits for excuse

sickminds443 -

wrestling is mad boring tho

opinions vary

williepep - Should the rules be modified to lessen the impact or use of certain aspects of wrestling in the UFC ?

While the current rule set does create an environment where the use of wrestling can lead to championships it also sets the table for boring fights.

Should the UFC be made more fan friendly and create exciting fights by modifying the rules ?

Please just watch boxing and kick boxing

Chaddderz - 

Only thing I'd like to see is no more cage wrestling. Effective but not aesthetic. I'd like a much bigger ring or something that prevents wall wrestling but I can't see it happening.

Interesting idea but if you look at the old WEC, they had a smaller cage and high action fights.

I'd be interested in seeing a 10 min first round.

OP should be banned from posting

Who says people don't like to watch wrestling? Dana?

Askren vs Burroughs at Beat the Streets this past may did I think a 1.3 million gate. Lots of people enjoy grappling and watching it while kickboxing barely gets watched at all when it's on live TV. 

Mr Karate - 
williepep - Should the rules be modified to lessen the impact or use of certain aspects of wrestling in the UFC ?

There’s GLORY, Lionfights,KOK and other Kickboxing leagues. Watch them.

Thanks but MMA can be enjoyable.

It is a mischaracterization to paint a call to avoid wrestling stalling tactics as wanting a kickboxing match.

Judo

MMA

Boxing

Wrestling

All have rules or guidelines in place to make the sports more spectator friendly.

williepep -
Mr Karate - 
williepep - Should the rules be modified to lessen the impact or use of certain aspects of wrestling in the UFC ?

There’s GLORY, Lionfights,KOK and other Kickboxing leagues. Watch them.

Thanks but MMA can be enjoyable.

It is a mischaracterization to paint a call to avoid wrestling stalling tactics as wanting a kickboxing match.

Judo

MMA

Boxing

Wrestling

All have rules or guidelines in place to make the sports more spectator friendly.

Ill agree as long as there is a rule that they put them on the mat when the striking is boring and one guy is just hitting and running or both guys are just not doing anything of note.

Imo there have been more boring fights that were mostly standup than boring fights that were mostly grappling.

^^^^^ You do raise a point that I have been hesitant to mention in an effort to avoid confusing some of the more simple posters.

One of the most common complaints especially from people that have been watching combat sports including MMA for a while is that many MMA matches have turned into bad kick boxing matches.

I think some of that has to do with the generalist MMA fighter that has developed and that many MMA fighters have comparatively poor striking skills.

I thought khabib was combat sambo not "wrestling"

Rakoshi - 

I too have been involved in wrestling a long time ... since before you were a gleam in your Daddy's eye. (Wrestled from 1957-1970 / break for Vietnam / coached wrestling at all levels from 1975 - 2012 / member NWHOF for Lifetime Service to Wrestling class of 2012. I speak with assurance that the OP has a Circle of Willis chock full of Fecaliths ... Wrestling is the heart of MMA. 

I don’t want to be mean to you. Your insults sound like some midwestern gibberish.

Next time I am in Stillwater I will keep my eye out in the section with various state chapters on display.

I think it would be fair to acknowledge that MMA has helped wrestling in popularity. Helped spur in interest in a declining sport.

Haulinbass - 

I thought khabib was combat sambo not "wrestling"

Yes SIR !

And thank you for stating the fact.

This thread is not about the Khabib Dustin match as many seem to think it is.

It is funny to see the wrestling community grasping to cling to Khabib as pure wrestling without acknowledging his focus on combat Sambo.

Some of these responses from upset wrestling fans remind me of back in the day when the BJJ sport community would get upset at the mention of pajama wrestling.

Shugum - 

Weren't they going to get rid of Olympic wrestling?  No one wants to watch it!

Yes it was actually voted to be dropped by the executive committee. Reminds me of the days we had to sell T-shirts and do other fundraisers just to be able to buy new uniforms. Ever notice SEC schools do not have wrestling programs ?

"According to IOC documents obtained by the AP, wrestling ranked “low” in several of the technical criteria, including popularity with the public at the London Games – just below 5 on a scale of 10.

Wrestling also ranked “low” in global TV audience with a maximum of 58.5 million viewers"

nah

SuperMann - 

How can you say that fight was boring? You obviously know nothing about the art of MMA. 

As a fellow Sambo player and club champion I admire Khabib’s work especially in round 1.