Zuffa Close to Signing Exclusive Apparel Sponsor

JoeJoeplata - Got to be Reebok right? I haven't heard anything on Adidas involving themselves with MMA.

babalu wears an adidas gi and cris cyborg had an apparel deal with adidas in the past.

sorry pic is blurry but the gi says adidas

Hope its adidas! Phone Post 3.0

devils advocate - 
Farthammer - Nice! I imagine the fighters will get a huge cut of the sponsorship deal.

yeah about that

Insert McBainthat'sthejoke.jpg here

Zarcsby - Sorry, it might be a silly question but why isn't Under Armour part of the rumor?

Here in Canada, GSP's face is still all over the Under Armour product displays.
Might be because UA isn't as big in the world as Nike is. UA is mostly in
North America. Phone Post 3.0

Alot of this doesnt add up right. It just seems wierd that the ufc would go this hard against al of the mma clothing industry. Theres probably going to be a way to opt out of this thing and have your own personal sponsors, especially for top fighters. Im sure this deal will be more focused on aligning with the ufc and not that individual fighter, unless of course there big stars. If this thing does end up happening its going to end up pushing out the smaller bush league sponsors from being in the ufc, no way they will be able to compete for low level fighters short space against a mega company. I think the only ones that will end up left will be that ufc sponsors, and some big players like tapout

JoeJoeplata - Got to be Reebok right? I haven't heard anything on Adidas involving themselves with MMA.

Adidas and Reebok are the same company.   

Adidas and Nike are going to war in brazil right now over the countries mindshare.  you can see how quickly the brazilian ufc fighters like Anderson and Cigano got nike sponsorships

it will either be Adidas(reebok) or Nike or maybe even under armour as someone else mentioned.

But from a business perspective only 2 companies right now would be able to monetize UFC's global footprint.  Adidas(reebok) and Nike.

It could be Under Armour but they havent set up shop yet in some of these other countries the UFC is growing in.... 5 million viewers watching the UFC in Brazil doesnt do anything for Under Armour unless they get moving with their own expansion into these territories.

Nike and Adidas(Reebok) have already set up shop everywhere the UFC currently resides and everywhere it's going.

If this is happening then let's hope it helps get the fighters some coin. It will be a shame if it's just used as a means of controlling fighters ability to represent themselves. Phone Post 3.0

What about apparel companies that do training gear too? Are they shut out?

To be honest I always associated Reebok with women's tennis, and it's not like they make sparring gloves or gis. I'm not sure why they'd be interested in a fight promotion. Phone Post 3.0

Thats my worry to. I dont think shutting out every single mma clothing sponsor is a good idea. The fighters always should have options.

Reebok already has the crossfit market cornered. Now they will take over ufc Phone Post 3.0

sub

Sounds shitty for the fighters. Phone Post 3.0

Shinsplint - If this is happening then let's hope it helps get the fighters some coin. It will be a shame if it's just used as a means of controlling fighters ability to represent themselves. Phone Post 3.0

It will help alot initially as fighters wont have to find in-cage sponsors but this "payment" Zuffa takes over will simply be absorbed into a fighters show money eventually.

as The UFC's global footprint increases and these apparel deals increase it wont necessarily mean a direct increase in fighter pay.

But to be fair, condom depot isnt paying a nickel more because 5 million chinese are now watching the UFC... so it wouldnt have increased directly anyway.

Zuffa wins in 2 ways here... they get to inflate fighter pay even though that's pretty much how much fighters are already making and control the revenue on that end without necessarily tieng both together.

you see this was always the end goal.  The sponsor tax wasnt to just make some quick cash... it was to control costs so when zuffa did replace the "sponsor" money for the fighters it wouldnt be that big.

sponsor money has been squeezed down to the lowest it's been in years... this is the perfect time.

I would think this eventually would drive all the mma shirt companies out of business Phone Post 3.0

A lot of MMA apparel is hideous and a running joke on the entire sport. If true, this a great news on many levels. Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT Molsonmuscle360 -
Willin - 

They're going to adapt this as their next marketing "outreach and awareness" campaign:

With the influence of fox, apparel brands, etc, all they are doing is inviting tasteless, money-hungry suits to directly influence their business and diminish the sport. What a shame.

Yeah, I miss the times when the fighters had such high class sponsors as "The Condom Depot" sported on fighters gear.
You mean rear

I never did understand how someone could put that on their ass and no one mentioning its probably not a good idea Phone Post 3.0

Do people really think this will get fighters more money?

Why? Phone Post 3.0

Hopefully the fighters get their fair share but I have my doubts Phone Post 3.0

MMALOGIC - 

The rumor is either Adidas(Reebok) or Nike.  If true, this means fighters will not be able to get their own sponsors for official UFC appearances (fights, etc...).   Zuffa will likely compensate the fighters which means they wont have to run around looking for infight sponsors anymore.

there's a possibility if a deal isnt done that Zuffa opens it's own UFC clothing brand as a sponsor for every fighter in either an exclusive scenario or as a default option in conjunction with approved sponsors.

lol likely