5/3/1 and jiujitsu?

I do jiujitsu m/w/f from 7pm - 9pm.  I'd like to work back in lifts and prefer to use Jim Wendler's modified 5/3/1 (which also contemplates m/w/f).

Is it possible to work both in without overtraining (e.g., tue/thur/sat; or m/w/f mornings) or should I find a different strength program?  If the latter, any recommendations?  Thanks in advance.

Do the wendler bbb or the i ain't doing shit program and you are good imo , main lift and get out and you shouldn't overtrain

Makes sense. Thanks. Phone Post 3.0

I would also contemplate going with 2 days, one for squat and bench and another for overhead press and deads

CMX - I would also contemplate going with 2 days, one for squat and bench and another for overhead press and deads

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe do a Tue/Thur.  Depending on how I feel, I may add a third day or certain assistance work to supplement.

CMX - I would also contemplate going with 2 days, one for squat and bench and another for overhead press and deads

This is what I do to work around my boxing training.  It works out well for me.  Main lifts 2 days a week.  Throw in some dips, pull ups, and an occaisional sit up.  

gatorlaw - 

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe do a Tue/Thur.  Depending on how I feel, I may add a third day or certain assistance work to supplement.

That's the best way to go imo

Or stop being a pussy.

jk ;)

Wendler's Recommendation-

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/02/531-and-mma/

NeoSpartan - Or stop being a pussy.

jk ;)

Great link, voted up.  This is consistent with CMX' and sczott's recommendations.  2 days per week, get in, lift your primaries, get out (with assistance work as needed).  Thanks.

I do a 5x5 type program Mon, wed, Fri lunch time. I do Bjj Mon, wed, Fri evening and sat day. I also do rowing, x trainer and running tues, Thurs and sat (if I can't make Bjj). I feel good, no over training Phone Post

I do 5/3/1 3 days a week. Train BJJ everyday. If I am tired or compete, I don't do the assitence work.

jk ;)

Nice article.....Pretty funny I agree with him completely how stupid it is for people to be sport specific in the weight room.

I do BJJ on my off days from lifting 5/3/1. Works for me. Strength days are good. Go hard on the mat for "cardio". Keeping it very simple. Phone Post 3.0

Its the perfect strength program for grapplers. I started 5/3/1 to complement my bjj and wresting. I grapple 5 or 6 days a week. 5/3/1 4 days a week in the morning. I just do the main lifts with pull ups, neck mobility work or shrugs as the extra's. that's it.
Getting stronger but still have the energy to wrestle most days. It's great Phone Post

sub

I've had success with this also. I train BJJ in the evenings Monday to Thursday and lift on Friday and Saturday. I used to do deads and bench on Friday and squats/press on Sunday, but after reading Beyond 5/3/1 I've switched to the deads/press and squats/bench split that's recommended above.

If I've been getting proper sleep in I have never felt too tired to lift or train BJJ. I've been deadlifting and squatting for three years now and still set P.R.'s pretty much every work out. The upper body lifts stalled once, but I reset both to a 90% training max like Wendler recommends and recently blasted through both those plateaus. The only assistance work I do is with a neck harness and windmilling a plate for rotator cuffs. Couldn't recommend 5/3/1 for grappling more, my additional strength has really improved my game, though I make sure not to rely on it as with the bigger guys it's not always there.

gatorlaw - 

jk ;)

Great link, voted up.  This is consistent with CMX' and sczott's recommendations.  2 days per week, get in, lift your primaries, get out (with assistance work as needed).  Thanks.

interesting quote from that article : "And you don’t need to be strong to be a better athlete, but being stronger than you were is always a good thing."

TheMountain - I've had success with this also. I train BJJ in the evenings Monday to Thursday and lift on Friday and Saturday. I used to do deads and bench on Friday and squats/press on Sunday, but after reading Beyond 5/3/1 I've switched to the deads/press and squats/bench split that's recommended above.

If I've been getting proper sleep in I have never felt too tired to lift or train BJJ. I've been deadlifting and squatting for three years now and still set P.R.'s pretty much every work out. The upper body lifts stalled once, but I reset both to a 90% training max like Wendler recommends and recently blasted through both those plateaus. The only assistance work I do is with a neck harness and windmilling a plate for rotator cuffs. Couldn't recommend 5/3/1 for grappling more, my additional strength has really improved my game, though I make sure not to rely on it as with the bigger guys it's not always there.
Good info. I finished reading Wendler's 2nd edition book again and am glad it's the program I'm using with jiu jitsu. Phone Post 3.0

Hywel Teague - Mountain, when you say windmilling a plate do you mean like the kettlebell exercise windmill or like a halo?

Windmill

Halo

It's similar to neither of those but closer to the second. Think windmilling like a softball pitcher. I do it front ways too. So four different movements including each arm.

neck bridges. move ya neck side to siz-ide shit like that.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/stick_your_neck_out

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/how_to_build_a_powerful_neck;jsessionid=E750FBB1BFDD906893B9C5A2D5B65015-mcd02.hydra