A Suggestion to Joe Rogan

Joe Silva does the match making.

It is good to hear that they may considering knees to the head on the ground in the near future.

It is the missed weapon in these types of fights.

I can appreciate the tightrope that's being walked - legitimacy by the governing bodies and remaining faithful to the spirit of MMA and a minimum of rules. If one were to look at all the pride events, which do allow knees to the head, a decent analysis could be prepared to anticipate the effect of the inclusion of this rule on the safety of the fighters and excitement of the sport.

jeanie,

What is Joe Silva's background? I'm curious why Joe Rogan's input wasn't solicited regarding matchups. Joe knows the game and the participants well and would clearly have valuable input.

Joe Silva has been the match-maker since Zuffa took control, perhaps longer (he was employed by SEG since the single digit UFC's I believe).

Rastus, you are joking right? You can't have over 24k posts and not know about Joe Silva.

Well said, Nocturnal. Every guy I was with was happy with Joe for putting the crowd in their place.

I get Rastus' point and agree with him, he's not neccesarily talking about spinning it. The fight was definitely slow and they did cancel each other out but I was wondering about all of those things that Rastus mentioned.

+1 for bringing back knees to the head

DROC

I like Joes style as is, Mike on the otherhand drives me friggin nuts. I dont think he knows thing 1 about MMA.

If it was Joe and somebody that had a little more submissive nature but knew just as much...that would be perfect.

Hey droc,

Like it or not, Joe creates reality with his observations through suggestion. To willingly create boredom is not in the best interests of his fans nor nor in the best interests of the UFC.

Saying, "to avoid stalemate, this and that need to be done" is far different from, "See, I thought this could be a boring fight".

I've kind of grown to like Mike, LS6TT. He's more like an "everyman". Joe's more like the hardcore fan. I think they work well together.

I tend to agree with Rastus... there are other commentary tools available to describe a situation and/or analyze a bout without using heavy-handed and loaded terms like "boring".

But Joe certainly has a style that many have come to appreciate... This is his style.

While some broadcasters may be less overt about a fights potential to be a snoozer, Joe does not have to comply with that mode of commentary..

Rastus, I can see that side of it, and I figure he is there for the attraction of non-all knowing fans to come into the sport, but jesus, everytime he says something "Right Joe" or "What do you think Joe"

I'm not arguing spin or hype, which is why I said earlier that the point I'm trying to make is subtle. I'm glad Joe calls it as he sees it and am not suggesting he start being a phoney.

In the long run, his "calling it as he sees it may keep the raw edge and be better for the sport than my suggestion. I don't know, but everyone in the room with me (after I pointed it out) thought it was odd for Joe to talk about how boring the fight was. There was a noticable drain in enthusiasm after Joe said what he said. Every guy is also a fan of Joe's, so it was a sincere reaction.

"I've got a better idea, bring back knees to the head on the ground, and all of a sudden that's an exciting fight."

Amen

LS6TT,

"everytime he says something "Right Joe" or "What do you think Joe" "

Now that you've pointed that out, I'm going to be looking for it and I'm sure it will sprout OCD hives on my brain.

"Now that you've pointed that out, I'm going to be looking for it and I'm sure it will sprout OCD hives on my brain."

it drives me ape shit every PPV and every unleashed when its them two....how Joe hasnt tried a RNC or Arm Bar on Mike yet is beyond me.

"I've got a better idea, bring back knees to the head on the ground, and all of a sudden that's an exciting fight."

Fuck soccer kicks and headbutts. The only nessassary thing they need to bring back are knees. After that, their wont be nearly as much stalling and everything will be good. You will NEVER see soccer kicks in the UFC, I guarentee it. Same with Headbutts. (I mean in current time, not referring to back in the day)

Hey DarrenJG,

You understand the point perfectly.

The fact is, Joe is a part of the show. Some view the final product as just the fight. That's not accurate. Joe's commentary is the culinary equivalent of condiments. They can enhance or detract from the meal. He is not separate from the show.

For those of you with marketing experience and business acumen, you know that you present your product and services in the best light possible. Not that you lie, but that you focus on the positives. One does that because our descriptions create and determine impressions.

Now, there's a spectrum between the oleaginous salesman engaging in shameless inflation and straight-shooter who's trying to make the best of a sub-standard situation. "Boring" tells people how to feel about the stalemate. "Stalemate until someone does x and y and z" is more accurate and better for educating fans and keeping interest maximized.

Personally, I don't want Rogan analyzing anything before he speaks. I'd rather he speaks whatever's on his mind or heart. Rogan and Bas (and to a lesser degree Rampage and Baroni... yes, I said Baroni) are the only color guys whose commentary I actually WANT to hear.

and btw, Joe, thanks for taking the time to respond. We may not agree on this issue but you're definitely one of the best things the UFC has going for it.