Apparently Starnes has an explanation...

Nothing could justify the performance Kalib put forth. Props to Nate for doing his best to make it entertaining.
Nice how the fans voiced there displeasure when the camera panned back and forth between Kalib & Nate. Boo's for Kalib and cheers for Nate. The boo's where justifiable.

So, basically, he made himself look terrible by running away the entire time, Nate made him look stupid by mocking him the entire time, and he think he stuck it to the UFC even though he'll play hell trying to get a decent contract elsewhere after his last few fights in the UFC?

LoL, yeah Kalib, you really showed them LoL

If that's the case, maybe 5% of the fans who saw it will know his "reasoning" behind what he did. 

If true, he is definitely in breach of contract. Also, it be inetresting to see if he put any money on the fight or had anyone do so for him, in which case he faces criminal charges, no?

Most important though, if true, it was such an incredibly disrespectful thing to do to Nate Quarry who surely trained and sacrifice greatly for this fight. A major apology would be owed to Nate. There are better ways to make a point without screwing over another fighter who took you seriously as a legit opponent.

Assuming the opening post actually explains why he ran (and I'm not sure that it actually does), this is still a total crap reason for what we PAID FOR Saturday night.

I know people who have competed at about every level of MMA, from the UFC to local shows and some of the better mid-sized events in between.

I do not know one of them who would ever pull what Starnes did for any reason. It's about integrity and pride of work and respect for self. A person with any of those wouldn't tank a match in protest. 

Silly explanation, IMO.

"I'll show you! I'll screw me!"

Not a good strategy, IMO.

i'll never watch Kalib fight ever again. yup, he proved his point

lol!

"I'll show you! I'll screw me!"

Lol that's so well put!

But the guy's always had the wrong attitude, just look at him way back on TUF, then his fight against Belcher when he got cut... No self respecting promoter should put him on their card, and quite frankly the UFC should see if they can get their money back for Sat night, cos they paid him to fight and he did fuck all fighting

If he wanted to make a point, he should have won the fight and then said everything he had to say in the post fight ring interview. His voice would have been heard by all. But he chose the cowardly way out.

I hope ATT drops him from the gym. I can't imagine this is the attitude they would like to promote.

If you want to protest by not fighting, thats cool, thats your prerogative.

Dont fight. Dont run around for 15 minutes so you can TAKE THAT PAYCHECK and then hypocritically grumble about that same pay. He made more of a public mockery of himself than he did the UFC's unfair purses and compensation.

Good job, idiot.

"WOW! FIGHT EXCUSES HAVE DROPPED TO A NEW ALLTIME LOW!!!!"

you forgot about Vitor's worm

A better idea would have been to KO or Submit Quarry and get the bonus... then turn it down or donate and give your FU speach live at the event.

He's got some good excuses ...

I call Shenanigans.

There was no need for the UFC to cover Starnes' medical bills, he is Canadian, all medical bills are paid for by the Canadian government.

Look, I don't agree with what Kalib did, whether he was trying to prove a point to the UFC or whether he went into survival mode and ran. He fucked up and embarrassed himself in front of thousands of people.

Nobody is perfect. I'm sure we've all had low moments, so let's not judge. He did what he did and it's done.

Look, if you would have come to me and a thousand other people before the show started and told me, one fighter tonight is going to run around the cage for 15 minutes and then after the fight act like a tough guy, who will you pick? About 985 people would have said Kalib Starnes. This dude has a history of being of being a little bit of a wuss, and Saturday was just the ultimate confirmation of it.

Now if this is truly what he is using for an excuse, or if it is true, he is complete moron!

IF that is true he is dumb enough to be banned from reproduction. If it is the best excuse he could come up with, his entire family should be snipped!

What an enormous douche! I didn't pay $100 for a ticket to watch this loser protest. I hope other orgs take note of his lack of professionalism and refuse to sign him. What a fucking disgrace to Canada and MMA that jackass is. Good Riddance!

It's not like Kalib had a history of putting on good fights and gritting it out through tough situations in the cage before this.

they should have known not to bring him back when he had a boring fight with leben.  He is the only guy to ever make a fight with Leben boring.