Ariel Helwani facts for idiots

CaliKush - How many people are even checking Twitter, let alone ariels tweets when the fights are on? I was at a little party with a lot of people who follow the sport and no one expected the announcement Phone Post 3.0
Same with me. I was enjoying the promo for 200. Thinking it was different and well done. Then I hear Brock yelling, Can you see me now!? Was really cool. Phone Post 3.0

BOZY -
CaliKush - How many people are even checking Twitter, let alone ariels tweets when the fights are on? I was at a little party with a lot of people who follow the sport and no one expected the announcement Phone Post 3.0
Same with me. I was enjoying the promo for 200. Thinking it was different and well done. Then I hear Brock yelling, Can you see me now!? Was really cool. Phone Post 3.0
Theres usually five to ten minutes in between fights and thats when I hit up twitter. Phone Post 3.0

I saw it on the forum, because I'm always watching the fights by myself, so I enjoy having somewhere to discuss the fights. I saw that Ariel reported it, but I didn't really believe it. Phone Post 3.0

FighterSpirit -

Remember this isn't the first time the UFC has had issues with him, especially regarding leaked information.

Take it from a business standpoint. You are about to announce a very big fight, one that will no doubt put their ratings over the million mark. And a journalist leaks the info moments before the UFC can announce it. It takes the surprise out of the announcement for the UFC, and could hurt business.

Yes I understand journalism but Ariel should have been smart enough to hold off on reporting until the UFC made it official. Literally wait seconds after the UFC announces it, then publish it.

You can bet if this had been done to Vince Mcmahon and the WWE, that reporter would have been treated exactly the same.

I for one am not a fan of Helwani at all. Everyone seems to think he is this great journalist but IMO he is not. He has connections to stories, then reports them. His interviewing skills are subpar.

Exactly. VU. Except I don't give a fuck about him releasing the info early. But imo the nose isn't that great. Overly Canadian and interviewing skills suck. And he comes off as pompous at times. Phone Post 3.0

something random -

Every you said is correct, but the UFC is not obliged to give credentials to anyone. And there is well documeted history of them fucking over people who realease info before they want it released. So Ariel was well aware of the potential consequences.

THIS is the fact.

They don't have to credential him. They dont.

I don't like it, and I hate the way ufc runs their business, but it is theirs to run in whatever way they see fit. Again, I don't like it, but that's how it is.

What here could go to court? NOTHING. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not saying it was the RIGHT thing to do in a journalistc moral sense.

But i would have kicked his ass out too.

I'd let him be credentialed again after some time, but i definitely would have kicked him out for breaking the story moments before the big announcement. Just becuase he pulled a shitty move

You guys don't really just think Ariels dick is squeky clean in this situation do you? Delusional if you think anything legal will come of this.

He's the most popular reporter in the sport with the two most popular mma related talk shows on the net and the UFC banned him. They fucked up. Period. Phone Post 3.0

hypothetical- room full of journalists.  all know brock is going to be introduced in the ppv through a promo. room asked not to say anything until after the promo.  1 person out of the entire room decides to break the news.  what would be the outcome?

He compromised their promotional efforts to beat his competitors to a story and they banned him. End of story Phone Post 3.0

D241 -

Hey Op, I just want to say there are 2 opinion statements you make, that you claim as fact.

Your post where you are calling out idiots, I just want to also point out that it is "you'RE retarded".

Your retarded cousin doesn't know the difference between fact and opinion.

You're retarded like your cousin.   

See the difference?

Also Ariel being banned is complete bullshit, but OP is coming off in a way that stands out, I couldn't let it go.

Lol I didn't even notice that YOU'RE getting my vote up Phone Post 3.0

I thought everybody hates ufc shills why are they protecting the biggest ufc paid shill ever now?

http://deadspin.com/blackballed-mma-reporter-admits-he-was-ufcs-paid-shill-1780851837

Curious how it hurts business. Just made me anxious to find out if it was true. I was more tuned in because of it. Phone Post 3.0

bruised -
something random -

Every you said is correct, but the UFC is not obliged to give credentials to anyone. And there is well documeted history of them fucking over people who realease info before they want it released. So Ariel was well aware of the potential consequences.

Yeah, I understand people being frustrated; however, in the end, the UFC is a business. If they think Ariel leaking the big news early hurts their business, than it's no surprise they pulled his credentials as it's their right to do so. Phone Post 3.0
1. This in no way hurts the bottom line of ppvs sold. Ufc is overreacting.
2. This is once again a bush league move by the ufc. Ariel doesn't work for them, is a journalist and had a hot lead. Maybe they should focus and where he gets his info.
3. Ariel is kinda douchie though Phone Post 3.0

FighterSpirit -

Remember this isn't the first time the UFC has had issues with him, especially regarding leaked information.

Take it from a business standpoint. You are about to announce a very big fight, one that will no doubt put their ratings over the million mark. And a journalist leaks the info moments before the UFC can announce it. It takes the surprise out of the announcement for the UFC, and could hurt business.

Yes I understand journalism but Ariel should have been smart enough to hold off on reporting until the UFC made it official. Literally wait seconds after the UFC announces it, then publish it.

You can bet if this had been done to Vince Mcmahon and the WWE, that reporter would have been treated exactly the same.

I for one am not a fan of Helwani at all. Everyone seems to think he is this great journalist but IMO he is not. He has connections to stories, then reports them. His interviewing skills are subpar.

You are not describing a free Press. Phone Post 3.0

BubblesNS -
FighterSpirit -

And you are confusing freedom of the press. Freedom of the press refers to the ability of news outlets to report without fear of government interference, censorship, or punishment. It does not refer to a private institution's choice to let a reporter into their venue. I think it's despicable too, but as a private institution Zuffa can ban whoever the hell they want.

Your example is like getting kicked out of a movie theater for talking and then complaining about freedom of speech. Phone Post 3.0

BubblesNS -
FighterSpirit -

Yea he is. Ariel is free to report any news he wants. However the UFC is free to issue/not issue credentials to anyone they want as well. Phone Post 3.0

Ariel cares about himself, first. fact. Ariel doesnt care about the UG, fact.

I think he comitted career suicide today in his podcast. He should have stayed silent outside of the straight facts about what happened. Eventually he and Dana would have worked something out after a small timeout to remind him who's boss. But now he's embarrassing the UFC they won't forgive Phone Post 3.0

Morpheus1976 -

Let me say this, I missed the announcement while watching commercials on BT sport 2.

so only USA got the news directly!!!

Australia got it Phone Post 3.0

I remember when Ariel first started doing interviews at events. He stuck out immediately, because he was the first real professional. Before Ariel it was shit like Greg Savage standing behind a camera, throwing out questions. Ariel was truly a pioneer of mma media, without a doubt. Phone Post 3.0