BJJ cowards need to stop hiding from wrestlers

kungfugrip - What's easier...from a wrestlers point of view, takedown or blocking a Takedown?

Seems to me, maia does pretty high level take downs. Watch his other fights. His plan is well known and was very successful. Isn't possible TW's defense was just better?

Depends who is doing the takedowns and whose defending.

Maia couldn't take him down because he didn't make Woodley respect his hands, so woodley kept his hands low to focus on tdd. He stopped a lot of those shots with underhooks as a result.

Maia has good wrestling for a BJJ guy that hasn't being doing it that long, but he doesn't have many attacks. Mostly low single shots with only a few finishes and he needs to put you against the cage to be successful consistently which also allows him to take guys backs. Woodley was only in that situation a few times which forced Maia to try and take him down in the middle of the cage which is not his strong suit.

in a  perfect world u should not learn ground work until u have mastered getting the fight to the ground

Triple_B -
kungfugrip - What's easier...from a wrestlers point of view, takedown or blocking a Takedown?

Seems to me, maia does pretty high level take downs. Watch his other fights. His plan is well known and was very successful. Isn't possible TW's defense was just better?

Maia couldn't take him down because he didn't make Woodley respect his hands, so woodley kept his hands low to focus on tdd. He stopped a lot of those shots with underhooks as a result.

Maia has good wrestling for a BJJ guy that hasn't being doing it that long, but he doesn't have many attacks. Mostly low single shots with only a few finishes and he needs to put you against the cage to be successful consistently which also allows him to take guys backs. Woodley was only in that situation a few times which forced Maia to try and take him down in the middle of the cage which is not his strong suit.

Maia had no chance of taking Woodley down unless he was concerned with Maias punches  which he wasnt Good post vu

Application matters.

Mma. Your wrestling needs to be better than your bjj to be effective. Since one guy usually isn't willing to "play the game". 

Bjj competitions. Both guys are willing to play the game. So the offense is there and the wrestling is secondary. 

Self defense."real fight". If someone is the aggressor. It should be tough to finish a guy who is competent in bjj.. you'll most likely have to go through his guard to end the fight.. however I've watched a decade worth of street fights and I can count on 1 hand how many semi competent individuals were involved. 

At at the end of the day. Bjj is a defensive art. 

kungfugrip - What's easier...from a wrestlers point of view, takedown or blocking a Takedown?

"Maia does pretty high level takedowns"...You have never been to a High School wrestling tournament have you?
I do not believe Maia could get a take down against a varsity High School wrestler even once in an entire season.

Winston Wolf -
Triple_B -

Maia had no chance of taking Woodley down unless he was concerned with Maias punches  which he wasnt Good post vu

Really? Why did Woodley grab the fence, then?

Dryfly -
kungfugrip - What's easier...from a wrestlers point of view, takedown or blocking a Takedown?

"Maia does pretty high level takedowns"...You have never been to a High School wrestling tournament have you?
I do not believe Maia could get a take down against a varsity High School wrestler even once in an entire season.

thats nonsence he would takedown most hs wrestlers his weight.Woodley was a college all american

Winston Wolf - 
Dryfly -

thats nonsence he would takedown most hs wrestlers his weight.Woodley was a college all american

Not with any take-down I have ever seen from him he wouldnt.
Surely not with that crap he was trying last night. That shit would quit working in about 8th-9th grade.
I have watched thousands of wrestling matches, my son wrestled at a fairly high level for about 12 years. You may be shocked if you sat thru a high level High School tournament.

Dryfly -
Winston Wolf - 
Dryfly -

Not with any take-down I have ever seen from him he wouldnt.
Surely not with that crap he was trying last night. That shit would quit working in about 8th-9th grade.
I have watched thousands of wrestling matches, my son wrestled at a fairly high level for about 12 years. You may be shocked if you sat thru a high level High School tournament.

ive wrestled and coached hs and live in long island a big area for wrestling.Maia would probly place in counties at 170 and beat most KIDS.Woodley would pin every single HS kid.

Dryfly - 
Winston Wolf - 
Dryfly -

<br />
        <span class="User-149737" id="userPost60537996"><span class="User-94712" id="userPost60537689">&quot;Maia does pretty high level takedowns&quot;...You have never been to a High School wrestling tournament have you?<br />
        I do not believe Maia could get a take down against a varsity High School wrestler even once in an entire season.</span></span></blockquote>
    <p>
        <span class="User-149737" id="userPost60537996"><span class="User-94712" id="userPost60537689">thats nonsence he would takedown most hs wrestlers his weight.Woodley was a college all american</span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<br />
<span class="User-149737" id="userPost60537996">Not with any take-down I have ever seen from him he wouldnt.<br />
Surely not with that crap he was trying last night. That shit would quit working in about 8th-9th grade.<br />
I have watched thousands of wrestling matches, my son wrestled at a fairly high level for about 12 years. You may be shocked if you sat thru a high level High School tournament.</span></blockquote>

He took down Rick Story (NAIA runner-up), Jon Fitch (D1), and Chael Sonnen (D1 All American).

Maia was the one always moving forward and engaging.

TyRUN, the stronger, faster, younger wrestler kept running from Maia, not wanting to WRESTLE, and barely threw any punches.

And now he is not fighting GDP.

Good. Nest time... FIGHT.

Anek -
Dryfly - 
Winston Wolf - 
Dryfly -

<br />
        <span class="User-149737" id="userPost60537996"><span class="User-94712" id="userPost60537689">&quot;Maia does pretty high level takedowns&quot;...You have never been to a High School wrestling tournament have you?<br />
        I do not believe Maia could get a take down against a varsity High School wrestler even once in an entire season.</span></span></blockquote>
    <p>
        <span class="User-149737" id="userPost60537996"><span class="User-94712" id="userPost60537689">thats nonsence he would takedown most hs wrestlers his weight.Woodley was a college all american</span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<br />
<span class="User-149737" id="userPost60537996">Not with any take-down I have ever seen from him he wouldnt.<br />
Surely not with that crap he was trying last night. That shit would quit working in about 8th-9th grade.<br />
I have watched thousands of wrestling matches, my son wrestled at a fairly high level for about 12 years. You may be shocked if you sat thru a high level High School tournament.</span></blockquote>

He took down Rick Story (NAIA runner-up), Jon Fitch (D1), and Chael Sonnen (D1 All American).

In mma where people are getting punched or are worried about submissions. If you think that is any indication of how he would fair in folk style or freestyle you are crazy. There is no cage to help him lean on people and take them down or get the back. He developed a system that works for him in MMA and compliments his ability to take the back and work for chokes.

Josh Kosheck would make GSP look like a clown in straight up wrestling, but when guy caves in your orbital and mixes things up in side of a cage the outcome is different.

Triple_B - 
Anek -
Dryfly - 
Winston Wolf - 
Dryfly -

<br />
    <p>
</blockquote>
<br />

In mma where people are getting punched or are worried about submissions. If you think that is any indication of how he would fair in folk style or freestyle you are crazy. There is no cage to help him lean on people and take them down or get the back. He developed a system that works for him in MMA and compliments his ability to take the back and work for chokes.

Josh Kosheck would make GSP look like a clown in straight up wrestling, but when guy caves in your orbital and mixes things up in side of a cage the outcome is different.

The Chael takedown did use the fence, but IIRC, he took down Story with a head outside single. Although MMA wrestling is different, I don't think a guy who can take down an NAIA runner up with a single leg in MMA would lose a takedown battle to your average high school wrestler.

And GSP proved in Abu Dhabi that he can outwrestle D1 All Americans without the threat of strikes, so I doubt Koscheck would clown him.

1800champagne -

TrainJudo is smiling from 6 feet under. Buttscootin faggits. 

Did Quincy die?

I thought he was hilarious. I hope that's a dark joke.

Dryfly - 

That's excessive man... lol I've wrecked high school wrestlers as a grown man, and my wrestling is rudimentary. They're just not physically developed enough.

One of the dumbest posts I've read in a while.

Mix6APlix -
1800champagne -

TrainJudo is smiling from 6 feet under. Buttscootin faggits. 

Did Quincy die?

I thought he was hilarious. I hope that's a dark joke.

unfortunatley it is true he has passed away about 2 years ago

Average wrestlers couldn't beat average jiu-jitsu guys until they learned jiu-jitsu...

triforce -
PeacefulDestroyer24 -

If BJJ becomes more takedowncentric then it becomes a more useful martial art. 

"More useful martial art" 

-The UFC was built on Jiu Jitsu and any BJJ black belt could beat any wrestler if the wrestler doesn't know BJJ so that's a pretty hilarious statement

Yes wrestling is perhaps the best base in MMA today but a BJJ who doesn't know any wrestling beats a wrestler who doesn't beat any BJJ practioner. As Mark Schultz said "Nothing beats wrestling. Except for jiu jitsu" 

But I guess you know more about wrestling than an olympic gold medalist wrestler - great post OP :/

Who doesn't know any BJJ these days?

Everyone and their grandmother knows what an armbar is.  The element of surprise is gone.  Get with the times.

Rude_Boy_TM - Average wrestlers couldn't beat average jiu-jitsu guys until they learned jiu-jitsu...

and juijitsu guys would get pinned against a wrestler