BJJ Match is not a Fight...

if you do not think that bjj is a FIGHT, then you have never stepped on the mat and competed at any high level tournaments. Worlds, nationals, pan am, .... people that train hard for a tournament and actually do this sport, will agree. It is a form of fighting with rules.

glove up sometime sparky. your attitude will change.

Atecexa.....what are you trying to get at????  i wasnt implying an or what with my statement....simply just stated that bulletmagnet has not or would not take that kind of tone when talking to some of the top bjjers in the world about this situation.

sorry to disapoint you.

I had another match with gf last nite, its time to call it quits. I can use whatever words I want. I am so sick of peopele telling other people what the cool words to use are. Ex. bro,jits,gnarly,rad fuck off its my vocal cords.

An MMA-match is not a fight either by your stupid definitions, in a fight you can do whatever the fuck you want to your opponent without some referee stopping you.

Or as BJ Penn would put it: To the death..

to the death.

someone said they would take a golden gloves winner over a Mundial winner Heck Id take a Mundial champ over a world boxing champ.Who was the roided boxer who lost a street fight to a blue belt ? Think it was Vargas who lost to a blue belt Granted he was a very good bluebelt and is probly a brown belt now

Who really gives a fuck what someone else call's something, mind your own fucking business. I'll call grappling matches whatever the fuck I want.

p.s. obvious troll is obvious.

why are you singling out bjj fighters. they fight bjj...Judo players refer to them as fights as well, and so do submission wrestlers. i dont see the big deal, as long as they refer to it in the context and arent trying to pass it off as a vale tudo fight quit your bitching

"Are you crazy? That's a classic striker vs grappler match up. You would pick a boxer? He wouldn't be able to defend the takedown. I'm not saying the boxer couldn't win...I'm just saying that discounting the grappler is pretty much the height of ignorance."

I'm not completely discounting the grappler. In reality it depends a lot on the make up and abilities of the individual, as we've seen in the last few years in MMA where everybody knows everything it's come down to the individual and not the style.

However it amazes me that people still think "classic striker vs. grappler match up" = BJJ Black Belts and Division 1 Wrestlers beating up tough man competitors in the first 12 UFC's.

Fights start on the feet and to me the height of ignorance is assuming that a grappler is just going to walk through a competent boxers punches and take him to the ground. Any reasonably trained boxer isn't going to stand square and flat flooted while the grappler dives towards their legs.

How many fights in MMA in the last several years have actually began with a takedown, or even a takedown attempt, without first having at least some sort of exchange on the feet?? That being the case I have much less confidence in someone who's never been hit being able to remain calm and gather themselve for a takedown then I do in a boxer being unable to deliver signifigant punishment to an untrained striker before he gets dragged to the ground.

I think the confusion is that in Portuguese wrestling is referred to as a "free fight" Luta Livre, and that convention was inherited by BJJ sportsmen.

I have done jiujitsu for a long time, and I concur that a sport match is not a true fight.

this thread is not a fight.

News in!... Roger Gracie cant fight for shit!

ninjaturtle2048 -  why are you singling out bjj fighters. they fight bjj...Judo players refer to them as fights as well, and so do submission wrestlers. i dont see the big deal, as long as they refer to it in the context and arent trying to pass it off as a vale tudo fight quit your bitching

Match.

16-10HangEmUp -  However it amazes me that people still think "classic striker vs. grappler match up" = BJJ Black Belts and Division 1 Wrestlers beating up tough man competitors in the first 12 UFC's.

Fights start on the feet and to me the height of ignorance is assuming that a grappler is just going to walk through a competent boxers punches and take him to the ground. Any reasonably trained boxer isn't going to stand square and flat flooted while the grappler dives towards their legs.

How many fights in MMA in the last several years have actually began with a takedown, or even a takedown attempt, without first having at least some sort of exchange on the feet?? That being the case I have much less confidence in someone who's never been hit being able to remain calm and gather themselve for a takedown then I do in a boxer being unable to deliver signifigant punishment to an untrained striker before he gets dragged to the ground.

all the MMA fights you bring up have cross-trained fighters.

fighting is 3 dimensions, striking, takedowns, and grappling.  and even a grappler with horrible wrestling is going to have more of the bases covered then the most elite boxer who has never trained another combat sport.  

ive seen what happens when you take someone down and they have no game, and its much more disheartening to get taken down and beat up on the ground where they have 0 defense whatsoever, then it is to get popped while you are standing up.  

Winston Wolf - someone said they would take a golden gloves winner over a Mundial winner Heck Id take a Mundial champ over a world boxing champ.Who was the roided boxer who lost a street fight to a blue belt ? Think it was Vargas who lost to a blue belt Granted he was a very good bluebelt and is probly a brown belt now

video please. I'd take a boxer over a mundial champ anyday. Way more tough after being in real fights. We've seen the same thing happen in the UFC. Hell, look at marcello garcia.

kinda confused... say you have a thai match, that's not a fight and a BJJ match, that's not one either. but you combine them it's a fight?

I guess I can see the sum is greater than the parts, but you still have funky rules (no soccer kicks, no vertical elbows, headbutts etc.) outside of the common ones (nut shots/eye gouges) that limit the 'fight.'

"no strikes" in BJJ or no grappling in MT is just a much broader set. So the devil is in the details. Calling a BJJ match a fight doesn't upset me nearly as much as people who don't think knives or guns should be included in MARTIAL fucking arts... so it's all relative.

"bulletmagnet -  I'd take a boxer over a mundial champ anyday. Way more tough after being in real fights.??"

What do you mean "real fights?" boxing? or... realistic matches?

edit: I think Pancrase would be a good example of WTF is this a fight? Limited striking and grappling, but it's got both.

I didn't read the responses, but... everybody realizes this is a troll right? and y'all are probably just responding for the heck of it? He's even leaving little clues like a serial troller, claiming to be a HW in this thread and a 155er in his 'heavy bag technique' thread.

I hate you bulletmagnet.... but I respect you.

bulletmagnet - I'm sick an tired of hearing BJJ nerds referring to grappling matches as a "Fight." It is not a fight. I dont know how else to get through your stupid little heads. Most BJJ guys are too afraid to ever put on gloves yet they have no humility in saying their "fight" is coming up soon.

BJJ Nerd: "Im training for my fight coming up..."
Me:"Oh, do you fight MMA or Box? Where's your fight at?"
BJJ Nerd: "Oh no, I am fighting in ____ submission tournament"

Boxing=Fight, MMA=Fight, Jiu Jitsu= Match.

If you little pussies want to say you have a fight coming up, man up and take off the pajamas. Im tired of hearing you say Fight coming up or that you had a Fight. Youre not getting punched in the head... therefore, no fight.

kthxbye

Thankyou for bringing this up as this is such a brand new original subject that has never been addressed.

BTW nice thread N00B douche.

LOL @ getting bent out of shape over sh!t like this. Get a life.

krept - "bulletmagnet -  I'd take a boxer over a mundial champ anyday. Way more tough after being in real fights.??"

What do you mean "real fights?" boxing? or... realistic matches?

edit: I think Pancrase would be a good example of WTF is this a fight? Limited striking and grappling, but it's got both.

boxing=fight. You get punched in the face=fight.