BJJ players who are great at wrestling?

wiggum -
King Trav - 

Also learn the single. Doubles look cool, but the single leg is the shizzz.

I have found that BJJ guys who dedicate time to learning the single tend to find more success against good wrestlers than BJJ guys who spend all of their time on doubles. IMO this is in part because of the similarities between good half-guard work and single leg finishes.

You don’t find GSPs - nonwrestlers who develop world class doubles - in pure grappling. It’s really hard to hit. GSP sets up his doubles with strikes and his opponents aren’t in wrestling stances. Marcelo was right in focusing his wrestling on single legs.

Isnt Cobrihna also a beast of a wrestler? Or at least that’s what Eddie Bravo had to say on the JRE. 

Anyway, it would be an understatement to say you’re a super knowledgeable guy, your posts on the ‘Why are Russians so technical?’ Thread were amazing. 

What would you recommend I do as a novice BJJ player (blue belt) to really feel comfortable taking guys down? 

What fights/grappling matches should I watch, what should I try to emulate? Thanks man.

2breath2feel -

Maia's wrestling has kinda been exposed imo. His cardio is a big part of it but he looks very bad against wrestlers (Colby/woodley) and even in ones he won (laflare) just spamming telegraphed shots over and over. He is great on top but not good at getting it there from a takedown. Very good sweeps and clinch is decent. He hit a great throw on Chael but Chael is 100% forward pressure and susceptible to techniques like that

imo mma guys off top of my head:

jacare

arona 

shields

bj 

bocek 

pellegrino 

Come to think of it Jacare's offensive wrestling is seriously underrated. It seems like his striking almost always gets so much of the attention. 

He may never be a champ, but I really do believe he's one of the most well rounded contenders the UFC has ever had.

wiggum - 
King Trav - 

Also learn the single. Doubles look cool, but the single leg is the shizzz.

I have found that BJJ guys who dedicate time to learning the single tend to find more success against good wrestlers than BJJ guys who spend all of their time on doubles. IMO this is in part because of the similarities between good half-guard work and single leg finishes.

You don’t find GSPs - nonwrestlers who develop world class doubles - in pure grappling. It’s really hard to hit. GSP sets up his doubles with strikes and his opponents aren’t in wrestling stances. Marcelo was right in focusing his wrestling on single legs.

im old but i used to like to go for the single then switch to double.I think a good double is harder to execute with less experience but what do i know

Dugs95 -
ausgepicht - Few, but I'm sure many BJJers will mention a bunch.

But those names will be added by BJJers - who know very little about wrestling. Most fans and BJJers incorrectly think that wrestling is having a few doubles and single while woefully ignoring the sheer variety of takedowns, control ties, turns, breakdowns, and par terre wrestling which is as deep and complex as the guard is to BJJ.

It’s like fish talking about other fish they know that can climb trees very well.

I’m not sorry if my facts hurt your feelings. Deal.

You’re 100% right so nobody should be offended imo…  the big 10 championships were just on, and i was actually thinking that to myself. The little things that can make a wrestler great, the countless number of moves and counters is just aa complex as any sport. Its not a battle of strength like many think 

He’s right, but no one will listen to him because hes a massive asshole.

How about Ricky Lundell?

wiggum - Damien Maia is the one who comes to mind right away. He isn't a great pure wrestler, but he found his way to two excellent shots for MMA - his deep head inside and head outside singles. It wasn't great pure wrestling since he didn't really finish right away. Instead, his deep shots forced a "grappling" match and even if he landed in half guard, he found his way to top position.

Jake Shields wrestled, but is mainly thought of as BJJ player. His wrestling is very good.

People like Tonon have found ways to make wrestling work for them, but they aren’t ‘great wrestlers.’ But they have functional takedown skills.

Buchecha isn’t a great wrestler, but he is so strong that he hulk smashes people to the mat.

In general, you’re more likely to find wrestlers with high level BJJ than BJJ players with high level wrestling.

Pretty solid post

King Trav - 

The school wrestling season is just wrapping up here. All the kids who wrestled are coming back to our kids’ jiujitsu and wrecking the kids who didn’t wrestle. Ha!  

Do I owe your kid 20 bucks yet or not?

Weidman?

Tough to beat Jake Shields in this conversation.  Isn't he basically the guy behind the phrase American Jiu Jitsu?

Some JMMA guys come to mind.  Kid Yamamoto, Hideo Tokoro, Saku, Barnett.  I'd love some of the old timers to chime in on these JMMA suggested guys... I'm no authority by any stretch of the imagination.  But Tokoro especially is one of the most active guys on the ground I've ever seen.

The scrambles between Nick Diaz and Diego Sanchez was the things dreams are made of.

I’ll throw in cobrinha and JT Torres 

Take king travs advice and find a local wrestling club.   

Also when you go to BJJ class spend an extra half hour every class drilling TDs properly and chaining them.   Before some of my BJJ classes, I get to watch a top div 1 school practice. It is a LOT of drilling and 35-50% sparring to develop perfect technique and even more important timing and technique selection.  

Arona.

I hear he’s coming back soon but a Shiek is still paying him $1billion per year.

3 reasons why I believe top bjj guys have a harder time picking up wrestling then wrestlers do picking up bjj. But first I'll point out that I dont believe it is because wrestling is harder to learn.

The 3 reasons are:

1) Because bjj guys dont put in the time training wrestling that wrestlers put in training bjj.

2) Because if a wrestler comes to bjj as a young man or an adult, it is easy for him to find quality instructors that are willing to spend the time with him teaching him as a beginner. It is also easy for him to find lots of other bjj guys his age and skill level to spar with. A bjj guy that gets into wrestling as an adult has a much tougher time finding a top instructor that will teach him as a beginner and its aso tougher to find adult beginner sparring partners. 

3) Wrestlers who learn bjj later in life are wanting to learn a complete bjj game. Once they train for years and develop their game then they can spar with other high level bjj guys at bjj and be competative. Bjj guys who look to learn wrestling find that they dont need a lot of what it takes to be a great wrestler so they dont learn a complete game.

bjj guys have the “go ahead and take me down” mentality, which why most suck in mma

Paulo fihlo 

...not at all actually I just wanted to bring up Paulo fihlo 

RocknRolla - bjj guys have the "go ahead and take me down" mentality, which why most suck in mma

No one has that mentality anymore even with bjj guys. The only recent cases of it the guys were good enough to do it and the opponent stands out of it and doesn't go to the ground or if they were successful allowing themselves to be taken down they got the tap. Werdum, magalhales, palhares. 

Palhares is actually a really good example of the OP. Slammed hendo pretty good.

Animal Mother - 
Dugs95 -

But those names will be added by BJJers - who know very little about wrestling. Most fans and BJJers incorrectly think that wrestling is having a few doubles and single while woefully ignoring the sheer variety of takedowns, control ties, turns, breakdowns, and par terre wrestling which is as deep and complex as the guard is to BJJ.

It’s like fish talking about other fish they know that can climb trees very well.

You’re 100% right so nobody should be offended imo…  the big 10 championships were just on, and i was actually thinking that to myself. The little things that can make a wrestler great, the countless number of moves and counters is just aa complex as any sport. Its not a battle of strength like many think 

I’m surprised the triggered cupcakes didn’t come out earlier.

Do you see the irony that the people who replied to me, including yourself, replied…because they listened to me?

Hahahahaha! You must be a libtard - no logic, common sense, or reason and all butthurt and boo-boos on feelings while contributing NOTHING.

Cry on crybaby - use your pajamas to mop the kitchen floor so they can finally be useful for something. Better yet, use it wipe your tears streaming into your vagina. Hahaha!

OP how tall are you? If you are pretty tall, you may want to look into doing some Greco wrestling

ausgepicht -
Animal Mother - 
Dugs95 -

I’m surprised the triggered cupcakes didn’t come out earlier.

Do you see the irony that the people who replied to me, including yourself, replied…because they listened to me?

Hahahahaha! You must be a libtard - no logic, common sense, or reason and all butthurt and boo-boos on feelings while contributing NOTHING.

Cry on crybaby - use your pajamas to mop the kitchen floor so they can finally be useful for something. Better yet, use it wipe your tears streaming into your vagina. Hahaha!

That's an excessive response. I'm sorry that I obviously hurt your feelings. 

I believe the reason BJJ guys have a hard time picking up wrestling is strictly culture. Wrestling builds athletes, an unwaivering work ethic and an unwillingness to lose. Also, competition. Kids generally don't wrestle as a hobby. They're always wrestling to be the best at their weight on the team so they can compete, not because they're skinny fat 35 year olds with too much free time. 

I teach a kids class from time to time that I run more like a wrestling practice. The problem with this is parents really want martial arts day care, and aren't comfortable with you pushing their kid the same a wrestling parent would expect. 

FingerorMoon -

Arona.

I hear he’s coming back soon but a Shiek is still paying him $1billion per year.

How did Arona become a beast wrestler? And how can a BJJ player emulate that?