Bo Nickal says Colby Covingtons wrestling is not High Level

Im scrolling down, looking to see if anyone has mentioned GSP yet… Just as Im almost there, the who beat me to it was Fred Ettish… Fuck Yeah! I feel awesome!

4 Likes

You’re correct. Colby is great. A great Mixed Martial Artist. He uses a high level of wrestling with good boxing and pretty darn good head movement as defense. He ties all of that together to be one of the best non-champs in mma.

He’s not a great wrestler. He’s a pretty good on top. Bo Nickal on the other hand is one of the best guys in top position in folk style (the most important skill in wrestling that applies best to MMA) that MMA has ever seen. Askren is the best example of that. He and Nickal have similar accolades in folkstyle while also having a very similar dominance on top. (I’d say Askren>Nickal but that’s a topic for another day).

Askren is so far ahead of Colby in the top position, however he never had the stand to behind it to make him competitive in today’s age.

Askren’s level of wrestling was so much better during his reign showed it was so much better than Colby that it nullified his lack of striking. Given Bo gets half the level of striking Askren never acquired, he no doubt has the potential to make Colby look like an amateur. These are speculation at this point as Bo is still very early in his MMA career but he his takes on Colby’s wrestling are 100% accurate

Might be right but he still looks and sounds like a spoiled metrosexual who’s gonna get his ass handed to him by Brazilians and eastern Europeans.

It’s high enough level for MMA

In what sport is Bo making an olympic team in? I didn’t know he was a multiple sport athlete

1 Like

You don’t think that a three time champ has a shot at making an olympic team…?

I didn’t say that he made the team…I said that he would be a contender.

No he didn’t and he doesnt

1 Like

He’s 26.

Did you count Dake out too?

Just looked at wiki - he was a finalist in the 2020 olympic trials.

Are you confusing him with somebody else?

Hold on, you’re saying he has a chance to make the next Olympic team while simultaneously training and fighting MMA? Training for the OLYMPICS in wrestling isn’t a full time sport at that level?

1 Like

Yeah I know he was a finalist, did you see who he lost to? Pretty sure they both knew how that match was going to go

1 Like

You’re all over the place.

Here’s what got your buttplug all sandy:

“Bo is a three time D1 champion that actually has a shot at making an olympic team.”

What I said it true. If he focused on wrestling only then he would definitely be a contender again. You can’t say the same for Colby…he never had a chance to start with.

1 Like

The thing about Nickal too, he could of made a lot of Olympic teams, he just did not make the US Olympic team because of who he was up against. He is certainly Olympic caliber.

1 Like

Semantics Stu my boy, I’m going to let this one slide. All I meant was that he wasn’t beating Taylor especially since they have trained together so much and he surely isn’t making the next Olympic team if he is training MMA. I’ll agree that he is an Olympic caliber wrestler…good?

2 Likes

True.

What if they fought MMA?

1 Like

Bo says Colbys wrestling isnt Olympic level. Yet hes never held an Olympic medal…

Im sure Colby would say Bo’s MMA isnt UFC level, and hes held a UFC belt…

They are each entitled to their respective opinions… I enjoy watching them each do their thing.

4 Likes

This :100:. Bo doesn’t understand this is like comparing apples to oranges. Colby’s pure wrestling against elite wrestlers isnt as good we get it and we don’t need to know that. MMA isn’t about that, Daniel Cormier was an Olympic caliber wrestler and Jones was a JUCO wrestler in college yet Cormier never could take him down once and in fact Jones took him down. If it was straight wrestling sure Cormier would probably win, but this is MMA and Colby has learned how to translate his wrestling into his overall MMA game with the other martial arts he’s trained in. Some guys know how to translate it and some don’t. You have more to think about in MMA than someone sprawling on you when you go in for a takedown. Set ups and openings are different.

4 Likes

I think lots of people on this thread are taking what dude said and implying lots of different things. I didn’t hear him say that he’d beat Colby in a fight, that Colby doesn’t use his wrestling well in mma etc…all I heard him say is that Colby isn’t a high level wrestler.

I have no idea why this was so controversial.

3 Likes

You’re missing an obvious reason.

Especially coming from by definition a high level wrestler.