Bo Nickal says Colby Covingtons wrestling is not High Level

great posts here.Ill go against the grain and say GSP in his heyday would do very well in straight wrestling

3 Likes

I was a wrestler and a Coach for many years. My dad was a wrestler and a Coach. I literally grew up on a wrestling mat. In more than 30 years of wrestling experience, I can say this with absolute certainty, and those who have seen this will attest to itā€¦.

The most natural athlete Iā€™ve ever seen who picked up wrestling very late in life and was still a phenom was Pablo Popovich. Pablo was already and incredible practitioner of BJJ, but within a year of picking up wrestling was able to regularly take down guys who were all former starters in DI and DII NCAA programs. In all fairness, regular training with James Brasco certainly helped him, as Jimmy can flat out wrestle, but Pablo was unbelievable.

3 Likes

Fantastic post. Highlighting that even Burroughs wasnā€™t destined for greatness ā€“ he made it happen. One time state champ with a somewhat contested state finals; amazing run at Senior Nationals; and 16-13 as a freshman in college.

I think Tom Erikson said he didnā€™t do too well in high school at all but I donā€™t think he started wrestling until then. If he was not behind Baumgartner who knows what he would have done.

2 Likes

At times he was the #2 heavyweight in the world. Just couldnā€™t get past Baumgartner to make the US team. Both of them are actually part of the reason Carlton Haselrig didnā€™t keep wrestling. He saw it was a logjam and neither were going anywhere so he decided to try the NFL. Tom is a wonderful guy too. He helped start Lyon College in Arkansas with wrestling as the head coach and is now an assistant coach at Duke University. He is extremely kind hearted, he is good friends with Gary Goodridge to this day.

2 Likes

Sean McCorkle said that Tom could whip him and Mitrione at the same time.

2 Likes

I believe it. In his prime Tom was scary as fuck. People just flat out refused to fight him.

2 Likes

I wonder what Bo thinks of that Jon Jonesā€™ jc wrasslin vs. Olympian Daniel Cormier?

2 Likes

He didnā€™t shit on wrestling with mma rulesā€¦everā€¦

This is one of my favourite threads I ever made. The Big Cat was in it responding to people.

2 Likes