Boxing vs MMA in a street fight

armbarseverywhere - 
SKARHEAD - 
Doem - its hard to argue this one because people often mix the aspects of "no holds bar" street fighting and the concepts of "one and one" in the same argument

i say if you are 100% sure that its a one on one fight then you would still want to be mma. you have to plant your feet to throw a punch, you take away the boxers legs and he has lost his power, he goes to the ground and he has absolutly no orientation in which to defend himself. game over.

I love the assumption that all boxers are shitty streetfighters with no balance and really weak bases that fall over if you blow on them....Please. How many guys have shown up as a whitebelt in grappling class, and surprise surprise, they have a great natural base and sense of balance. Some guys are just naturally strong, solid, athletic, with a great innate sense of balance....some of these guys can punch hard.

And some of those guys learned how to box.

LOL @ some nerdy BJJ blue belt coming at one of these guys with his shitty takedown skills and Z level striking.

My legs are longer than most boxers arms. What makes you so sure someone well versed in muay thai or karate wont be able to defend themselves against a boxer? Besides timing a boxer has to be able to read straight front kicks and roundhouse kicks while cutting angles. A decent Teep and jab should be able to hold off a boxer long enough to gauge his timing and secure a takedown or wear a boxer out with leg and body kicks.

I never said such a thing wasn't possible...depends on who gets off first.Depends on who is better at his own style...Good boxer beats shitty kickboxer.....Good kickboxer beats shitty boxer.

With that said it is much easier and faster to get off several punches in a spontaneous fight (especially at close range) than it is to set up a good kick or teep...Remember, we're not talking about a kickboxing fight where you can circle and feel each other out after months of training for one another. I'm talking a situation with people in close and shit just pops off,punches are always the faster more accessible weapon (even in kickboxing where usually more punches are thrown than anything else)....and the boxer will always most likely be better at throwing punches than the kickboxer.

I love how everyone thinks that MMA and kickboxing makes you invincible and immune to accurate, fast, HARD punches in bunches in close....but boxing leaves you helpless on the street.

I'd rather be Mike Tyson on the street than Ernesto Hoost, sorry.

SKARHEAD -
thegoldenboy - 
ausgepicht - 

If you think styles matter, you are in a discussion from somewhere around the timeline of UFC 30. This is perhaps one of the dumbest threads ever created on the forum.

Are you 14?

No I'm not 14 and yes styles DO matter even if the person fighting is more important. Why is this a dumb thread?

Basically because these threads have been DONE TO DEATH well over 10 years ago...and real life encounters, actual fights in the ring/cage, and streetfight videos all have long since proven that ALL styles can be used effectively and have by all different kinds of fighters....At the end of the day it's not the style, but the man...Basically, if you're an unathletic nerdy multi faceted MMA fighter, Mike Tyson is still going to rape you even if all he ever trained in his life was ballet.....By this point it goes without saying, everyone here KNOWS this, and we don't even bother talking about it anymore.

In other words you're exposing yourself as a GIGANTIC NOOB and most likely someone of highschool age who just stumbled onto the sport and thinks he's discovered something new.
I understand what your saying but your completely wrong about me just "stumbling" onto the sport. Phone Post 3.0

In a street fight, a good Muay Thai fighter beats a good Boxer 10 out of 10 times.

Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - In a street fight, a good Muay Thai fighter beats a good Boxer 10 out of 10 times.
No, it's quite the opposite. Like I've said before; in the street, fights usually materialise very quickly and begin in punching range. Not to mention knees and kicks are difficult to throw in trousers or jeans. In this case boxing is king as its the fastest and easiest way to end a fight.

For a Muay Thai fighter to beat a boxer in a street fight he would have to take time to find his range, time which probably won't be available. He will 9/10 get smashed with a devastating combo straight to the chin before he has any time to comply with leg kicks, knees and so on. Phone Post 3.0

Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - In a street fight, a good Muay Thai fighter beats a good Boxer 10 out of 10 times.
What you mean to say is that a Muay Thai fighter has an advantage in a 1 vs 1 organised fight as he has more tools available to win the contest.

Even then there is still a legitimate chance he fails to keep his range and clinch up at the appropriate time causing him to get hit with hard, accurate shots. In a bare knuckles fight that could mean the end of it. Phone Post 3.0

I agree 100% but lets delete boxing and and insert kickboxing as it lends itself better to street fights. Or you can say use boxing and all the illegal moves in boxing in a streetfight. Phone Post

Mma is still the best. To begin with Alot of mma fighters use muay thai to strike with and mix that in with some takedowns/gnp and u get a dangerous street fighter.

Matt A Tat Tat On Dat Azz - In a street fight, a good Muay Thai fighter beats a good Boxer 10 out of 10 times.

Thats pushing it. Lets be a bit more fair i think it would be more like 8 out of 10 times

A street fight typically is more of an individual thing rather than " which sport's athletes are most equipped for it " to be honest.

This debate sucks.

Lobo8 - Mma is still the best. To begin with Alot of mma fighters use muay thai to strike with and mix that in with some takedowns/gnp and u get a dangerous street fighter.

Disagree. The ground is usually dirty as fuck and puts you in serious danger if there are others around. Taking someone there is a no go unless you know for a fact its a 1 vs 1 fight and your opponent isn't carrying a weapon, a scenario that is uncommon as shit. Muay thai skills are usually difficult to use due to clothing restrictions and the fact that you are put off balance when throwing kicks and knees. What does that leave? Boxing. Fast, effective and easy to use. MMA is however very useful in getting of the ground if it goes there, although if you have good boxing skills you won't go there anyway as your opponent will already be knocked the fuck out.

What do you think about Judo? In my opinion Judo might be one of the most effective styles to utilize in a street fight since most of them start with someone getting in the other's face or grabbing a shirt.

A nice sweep or trip could instantly floor the guy and if there are other people with him, you don't go to the ground. Boxing too would be very effective.

That's what I always thought, I dunno.

What kind of streetfight are we talking about? Are we talking about duels that happen outside of the dojo or are we talking about assaults and similar situations? Not only do these different situations require different techniques (though there can be a lot of overlap) and strategies, but they also require a different mindset.

If it's the latter, then I say if you were limited to only one skill I would want to be able to hit hard and hit fast.

Liyon - What kind of streetfight are we talking about? Are we talking about duels that happen outside of the dojo or are we talking about assaults and similar situations?

Big big fucking difference between a street fight and an organised fight. People can't understand that.

thegoldenboy - 
No, it's quite the opposite. Like I've said before; in the street, fights usually materialise very quickly and begin in punching range. Not to mention knees and kicks are difficult to throw in trousers or jeans. In this case boxing is king as its the fastest and easiest way to end a fight.

For a Muay Thai fighter to beat a boxer in a street fight he would have to take time to find his range, time which probably won't be available. He will 9/10 get smashed with a devastating combo straight to the chin before he has any time to comply with leg kicks, knees and so on. Phone Post 3.0

I have to agree with you...The clothing attire is another good point...Implementing boxing effectively in trousers and jeans especially is alot easier than doing the same with kickboxing...There's won't be time to go change into your Muay Thai shorts. The boxer can end the fight quickly just fine in jeans.

Also the element of both guys going at it at close range favors the speed, accuracy, and power of the boxer...The Muay Thai clinch is more of an immediate danger than kicks.

I have seen a few fights where the guys punches fucks his hand up on the others guys head, also its not that easy to KO people as you make it sound. I have seen way too many bar fights where stand up punchers are put flat on the asses by wrestlers.

Anyone watched frye vs sonny? That right there should shut everyone up

You need to talk to someone here and get a new user name.

one good leg kick and the best boxer in the world will be crying "no mass".

MMALOGIC - 

one good leg kick and the best boxer in the world will be crying "no mass".

I'm sure Saul Alvarez can take at least 2 leg kicks.

Chuck Lidel Phone Post