Buffer says fighters go into irrelevancy outside the UFC

That is a great point about the “likes” hinting at some of the fraud behind the numbers.

Apparently they are the most viewed sports property on facebook I see but I would not be shocked if this is not true.

I just find it all really hard to believe. Namely because they’re very clearly being dishonest about their online numbers on IG already, but also because who the fuck is Essentially Sports and what sort journalistic integrity do they hold whatsoever? These are all just claims being made with no actual proof they are legit and no semblance of validity to even the Neilsen numbers that were released last year.

How easy would it be for an MMA promotion trying to put itself over to decide that it would be in their best interests to pay someone to boost their numbers artificially in order to appear more popular than they actually are? And especially if all it would take is spoofing traffic to their online media pages?

I have no doubts that if you were to look at those ‘Neilsen’ numbers, they would accurately state that they recorded that amount of traffic, but simply recording the traffic doesn’t mean it was legitimate viewership/traffic. It could just as very well have been faked with bots/software. I mean, come on, 8.8 BILLION unique views? They over shot their wad. In no universe is ONE fucking FC more popular than the NBA on a global scale.

4 Likes

He’s right, but misses that “irrelevance = / = paid less.”

Most fighters are going to be far better off maximizing earnings on a fight-by-fight basis rather than being underpaid while attempting to maximize exposure/fame and hoping to segue that into greater future earnings.

In other words, in terms of their individual financial security, almost every fighter would be better served making more-per-fight in a “b-league” rather that trying to leverage the “fame” that comes with being in the UFC.

If you’re not a ”needle mover” likely to get PPV cuts, big social media followings, and big sponsorships, take the bigger purses and don’t worry about being “irrelevant.”

1 Like

Yeah those numbers are WAY off, have to be, casuals never heard of them and even some big MMA fans (no die hard but far from casuals) have never watched ONE in their life. They may have only heard some UFC fighters on the decline went there. Hell Bellator is more well known by casuals. Now this is doing more views than ANY sport? Not gonna buy that, I’m sure a global sport like soccer has more followers

1 Like

Yeah I’m not buying that 8.8 billion number either. They really have no history of even filling large venues prior to covid.

The promotion has 1M twitter followers I see at a glance. They have very low reply and retweet numbers.

Look at this twitter post from two days ago listing the bouts on their big 10th anniversary show. The tweet has 19 comments and 126 retweets. Are you telling me a promotion who can do 8 billion views on facebook in a year can’t even get twenty comments on twitter in two days about their biggest card ever?

2 Likes

Don’t confuse this place with the buying audience. Fedor’s PPV fights outside of Pride sold like shit. His fight with arlovski was a huge deal here, but sold less than 100K buys. Outside of hardcore MMA fans, nobody knows who he is.

1 Like
1 Like

I like how all of these fighters say they get paid more outside the UFC but ignore the fact that is because they are former UFC contenders. The UFC veteran status keeps these guys getting paid even in other orgs.

3 Likes

ONE FC and UFC both pay for followers. It’s so simple. There are websites devoted to this. War Machine used to buy fake Twitter followers. It was like $5 for a thousand

Irrelevant to the UFC of course. Irrelevant to MMA fans? Guess it depends on who you are

This is it exactly. They wouldn’t be getting those paychecks if they hadn’t been UFC fighters. The UFC label gets them paid

Also most of these organizations go under after a few years over paying Ex ufc cast offs

The average person has no clue that Bellator, PFL, etc even exist

1 Like

And most “die hards “ skip them too

Fuck buffer, just stfu and do your easy ass job. I have more respect for faggot fluffers.

1 Like

I’ve was on a car ride from the airport to the hotel with Mr Buffer ( he has the same travel arrangements as fighters and corners, not different ones like Rogan and Dana) and for the entire 45 minute ride I listened to him talk about himself to the guy sitting next to him, it was insane, he loves himself and not in a healthy way

7 Likes

Buffer might be a self absorbed dildo but he’s not wrong. I wouldn’t know who bader is if wasn’t for UFC. He’s done great things since moving on but without that initial spark I wouldn’t have any idea who he was.

Case and point. I’m a pretty huge mma fan. Who the fuck is Corey Anderson? Is he the “this is my home, this is my zone” guy from like tuf 3?? I genuinely have no clue.

I’m honestly elated that these guys can make a living doing what they love but let’s be real.

1 Like

People give Bruce Buffer credit for being so “hard working” because he shows up and works every event. Truth is he does that because he doesn’t want anyone to figure out how easy of a gig it is and how literally anyone can do it.

6 Likes

Who was Buffer talking about when he said someone copied someone’s style??? He said he won’t mention any names, but it looked like Ariel knew who he was talking about…

Jimmy Lennon Jr?

joe martinez sounding remotely like his half brother.

1 Like

He’s correct. UFC is the sole reason mma is big. MMA in general is a business that hemorrhages money. UFC makes money, because it is NOT all about the fighter–it’s the system and the organization. Far more money can be made in the UFC on a consistent career basis. Sure, after UFC, fighters can make more on a one-shot or short time basis, but that’s it. UFC can make you forgotten to the average fan. It’s GOOD for the fighters that they are just a cog in the UFC. Otherwise, mma would still be a sub-culture of broke fighters.

2 Likes