Chuck Liddell [Prime] in todays LHW division

Yeah…no.

I’m thinking about how much I giggled at Rampage making fun of/imitating the “Chuck belly” and then just how obese Rampage was later down the line against Fedor.

2 Likes

I’m going to get trashed so saying this but I don’t think chuck was that great of striker. Absolutely has very heavy hands. He was able to stay on the feet avoiding most people strength. He was picking fighters apart. His power went through their defenses.

Fighters today have the experience and movement to be much less in danger. Plus would be able to apply pressure back…which rampage shown chuck struggles with.

This doesn’t take away from chuck. Game has changed doesn’t mean he wasn’t the best for a time period

Oh yeah i remember how boring that fight was. Chuck took it to a lackluster decision and then Phil Baroni steamrolled the guy the next time he fought in the 1st round.

:+1:

guys are so much bigger now. i’ll say this though. i’d be pumped to watch prime chuck fight anybody.

2 Likes

It’s what really got me into the sport, I didn’t really watch MMA mostly boxing and I had a buddy who was a big Chuck nuthugger and was trying to get me into their fight by showing me clips of both fighters and I was like I hope that Rampage dude whoops his ass…he did.

But I agree Prime Chuck would be competitive in todays LHW division

None of them were in their prime.

When chuck beat Vitor, Vitor was coming off 4 straight wins at HW

Couture was Still great and went on to become HW champ

3 Likes

How do you guys think Prime Couture does at LHW nowadays?

1 Like

HW was piss poor back then.

Better than prime Chuck.

Randy would be champion at 205lbs today. Tito never did like to get hit so he might have trouble with Glover because Glover has a ground game. Tito has the wrestling and grappling to beat anyone except Randy.

Anybody that is a technically sound striker and has above average fight IQ beats Chuck. I never understood why Chuck was as successful as he turned out to be because Randy beat him soundly the first time and laid the blueprint. Vernon White was more technically sound striker and was landing clean on Chuck before he got KOd. Jardine beat Chuck with footwork and superior technical striking.

Randy couldn’t beat Jon Jones

1 Like

I agree that Randy couldn’t beat Jones but he isn’t fighting at 205lbs anymore.

2 Likes

He’d get murdered on the undercard. Loves Chuck but he could wrestle and had power. But he outstruck guys with terrible striking. Guys have way more now

I don’t know if he would do as well as everyone would love for him to do, including me.

excellent post

Chucks best fight around his weight in todays climate is Paulo Costa. That’s exactly the fighter he needs, a flat footed stand and bang guy. He’d beat guys like that 70% of the time because if you stand and bang with Chuck you’re likely going to sleep

He had shit cardio and an average work ethic. His coke habit was worse than jon Jones

2 Likes