Dan Henderson got lucky

Dan would still kill everyone. Don’t get it mixed up. Remember, there is no refs to pull him off of you in real life.

1 Like

From wiki…

Dan Henderson was born in Downey, California and grew up in Apple Valley, California.[7] He competed in freestyle wrestling, but is much better known for his achievements in Greco-Roman wrestling.

He attended Victor Valley High School[8] in Victorville, California, and earned medals at the California State Wrestling Championships in 1987 and 1988. He placed second in 1987 and fifth in 1988. He was a member of the 1987 Victor Valley High School wrestling team state champions. In 1988 Henderson became a national junior champion in both Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling.

After high school Henderson delayed pursuing a college wrestling career, yet he would go to wrestle a season each at Cal State Fullerton (CSUF) and Arizona State University (ASU). He qualified for the 1993 NCAA championships.[9]

In Greco-Roman wrestling Henderson became the university national champion in 1991, 1993, and 1994. He was the national champion at the senior level in 1993, 1994, and 1997. He represented the United States in the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympics and placed 10th and 12th, respectively.[6][10]

Henderson competed at the World Wrestling Championships in 1994 and 1997, placing 12th and 7th respectively. Other notable accomplishments include a bronze medal at the 1995 Pan American Games and a gold medal in the 2000 Pan American Championships. At this competition Henderson upset Luis Enrique Méndez in the final.[6]

Henderson failed to qualify for the 2000 Olympics. He reached the 2001 world team trials finals, but was defeated by Matt Lindland, and after that focused on an MMA career.

4 Likes

Shogun was roided to the gills

I don’t doubt this, but just curious about a source, even if second hand or “everybody knows”

1 Like

Why didn’t he apply for a TUE or ever pop for roids during his title run?

1 Like

He could have done test legally.

1 Like

Shogun was Dad Bod his entire career. Not that it means anything.

Yeah, he’s always passed the smell test from my view. But then again, he came up through the PRIDE “why not” era in Japan. It’s easy to believe either way.

3 Likes

I’ll agree with that. Absolutely.

2 Likes

tenor

2 Likes

He has no rebuttal… No proof as I provided.

2 Likes

Lmao

When you’re right, you’re right.

2 Likes

I think if anything he was more of an EPO kinda guy. I thought it was a little surprising he suddenly had a resting heart rate of like 40 bpm (or less?) before the Machida fight with the cardio problems he had been having in his previous UFC fights but I don’t remember the timeframe between fights at this point and that can be done naturally with time.

Also, worst robbery ever.

1 Like

Would be interesting to see ufc gloves with integrated heart beats sensor and other stuff

Coutures own teammates would call him the “unnatural” due to all the pedals he was on…

2 Likes

Peds

Allegedly of course!

1 Like

Peds can make such an enormous difference it’s a struggle for me to believe one can be particularly successful in a sport full of them when they are not. Natural people have no business beating unnatural people in physical contests.

Assuming that training and experience are anywhere close of course.

4 Likes

I never understand this idea. The older guys are injury riddled, nowrhere near their previous level and had people calling for them to retire, but now you want to see them fight? Look at the last fights of Shamrock, Liddell and Rampage. They were horrible fights. People complain about active ufc fighters being boring but you want broken down fighters who are even more boring just for nostalgia? I just dont get it.

What is appealing about watching a fight like this? Let the old warriors retire in peace.

You are certainly entitled to your feelings, but I don’t think it’s that simple.

Some fighters aren’t thinking in there as much as you might believe and are more in a streetfight auto-pilot mode, akin to kill-or-be-killed. That’s one reason corners yell instructions during a fight, and exactly why the ref is supposed to stop the fight. Expecting awareness from all fighters is a bit ignorant to how some people think while they fight.

[edit] Don’t get me wrong. Some fighters who are aware just want to get in a few more shots even though their opponent is out. I’m not denying that. It’s like most things, not exactly black or white.

1 Like