Demian Maia: Science of Jiu-Jitsu!

Paul needs to read up on Ken Burns and then do a 15-20 hour documentary (like Ken's) on BJJ and its evolution over the years - of course, with tons of info by various practitioners ;-)

ttt for later.

I'd like to see a set on "old school" jiu-jitsu by Jacare Cavalcanti, or maybe one by Ricardo Liborio.

How about a review Andre?

Paul, have you ever talked to Roger about doing a set?

Liborio, Rickson and John Danaher are about the only great guys left who I would definitely need to view.

I thank everyone for all of the great suggestions. I am always listening and taking mental notes. Many guys are asking me about previous artist that I have worked with. The issue that people have to understand is that as a producer, I am always changing and trying to improve on my work. What worked for me with some artist, 2 or 3 years ago, may not work today. Over the last 2 years or so, I have now been getting many top level guys coming to me left and right. It does not mean that the need me or anything as self centered as that. I think that it is just starting to become a situation were many guys "want" to do a good job, they "want" to be paid and they see me as the best route for them. It is becoming very well known that a good DVD series can really do big things for a fighter in the way of promotion. My last 2 projects, Demian Maia and Robert Drysdale were DVD sets were everyone involved was fighting for the very best on the set. It was very motivating to be part of it and a lot of fun. In fact, we are about to revamp www.groundfighter.com to start letting people in on the behind the scenes of the making of our projects. This will allow people to see what is in production and watch some of the process. This will start in about 3 weeks when we start filming a new project with a top Jiu-Jitsu fighter. Sorry, I cannot reveal his name yet, but I will soon. Many of you will be very happy when I release his name.

Oh you !!!

Holding back the info is so mean.

Can't wait to find out who it is.

i have talked to one of ricksons instructors and i asked him if Rickson would ever put out an instructional and he said no to something of the effect that Rickson does not like instructional or something like that

That's too bad - Rickson would make a GAJILLION dollars if he ever made an instructional. Even the doubters/haters would secretly buy it in a heartbeat.

Liborio is also one that would be a huge success by reputation alone.

"Marcleo also has some books coming out now. We talked about this also a few times before he produced with Victory Belt. There was no possible way that we could produce this product because we had filmed all of these same moves on DVD. I am not sure how Victory Belt could pull this off and make money. It will be interesting to see how well an Arm Drag and X-Guard book will sell. I may learn something from this situation myself."

I can give you the answer right now if you like...

DVDs are better but are way more expensive and you have to be sitting in front of either a laptop or a TV.

Books - you can read while taking a dump, on a train, easier to bring to class and have on the mat with you, etc...

They are not even different market segments. Many people want both. I've got Eddie Bravo's book from Victory Belt. When he releases his DVD, I'll get that as well.
I've got your Saulo DVDs, but if you can get Saulo to do a book on JiuJitsu theory, I'll put my pre-order in right now :)

So I can´t buy just 1 or 2 dvd, I have to buy the whole set? My budget is unfortunatly pretty tight (as well as the time I can spend in front of the tv watching dvd´s : )

ttt

ttt

TTT, this seems like a very good series!

i hear BJJ tapes set with maia will blow this set out of the water

sreiter, I wondered how long it would take you to hijack a WMA related thread and direct it to bjjtapes.

Did WMA do that when discussing bjjtapes new releases?

Let it go and let both companies products stand on their own merits.

bjj tapes is also going to have a set with maia???

yes - they did a set first, then from what i heard (hear-say) they tried to strong arm bjjtapes into not releasing his set

baldy - wondered how long it would take for you to stick your tongue up paul's ass - guess now we know

Some cool stuff on the clips! Thank you very much for making these clips available to us before ordering.

I will say this one this as contructive crticism. I think it's annoying that Maia's partner has to be told in portugese what to do constantly to cooperate on the techniques.

There had to be someone who knew Jiu-Jitsu and english and could play along with the techniques without wasting time having to speak in another language. Just something to think about for future releases, it hurts the flow of the teaching.

"There had to be someone who knew Jiu-Jitsu and english and could play along with the techniques without wasting time having to speak in another language. Just something to think about for future releases, it hurts the flow of the teaching."

Agreed...not a huge deal, but seems like an easy thing to remedy. Unless his partner was like, Ronaldo Jacare or something. Then it's totally cool.