Fight drama breaks out at Jason Parillo's gym

It was a pretty big upset in a weakish division. He was also in much better shape and juiced to the gills at that time. 5’8 320 power lifter strength and decently athletic. Nobody was training for him or his style and he won like monson/mark Robinson in the modern era mostly just hanging out on top and stalling to win by small margins. He hasn’t come close to any kind of repeat performance.

Guys like him always have a chance to spam wins at adcc because of the ruleset and loose officiating.

Nicky Rod beat him pretty easily in 2019 and gave him viral pink eye lol

5 Likes

It’s on that big ass dudes Instagram. The big Mexican with all the tats on the outside of the cage

1 Like

Strickland seems to be a completely different fighter at 185. I think he could end up in the top 5. Orlando is very strong and has a good base. Like someone else said here he is like the modern day Jeff Monson with his submission grappling. Effective but not overly exciting at all.

3 Likes

If Parillo doesn’t tell that guy to fuck off and never come back then I’d just quit training there. That elbow injury will absolutely hamper Strickland’s training and most likely have a negative impact on his upcoming fight. That’s a big deal. That’s fucking with a man’s livelihood.
Maybe Parillo didn’t see it when it happened, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. However, if he lets that go after watching the tape then he’s not a good coach.

6 Likes

He did help create tippy toe BJ, LOL.

3 Likes

I agree with this, a guy who’d do that makes a gym a worse gym

3 Likes

I think Strickland couldve served him a 2 piece combo. Orlando wouldve gassed in 3 mins

2 Likes

Perhaps, but Monson had a pretty legitimate pedigree as a collegiate wrestler and was a Conference Champion, I believe. This guy looks like he has some athleticism, but he is not a technician or an outstanding athlete. Again, I’m very surprised.

Furthermore, Orlando missed it the first time he tried it. If he’d hit it that time he did it hard enough to really hurt Strickland. Total bullshit.

4 Likes

Former college football player I believe but not sure what level.

Yeah. Ok. I mean, I get that sometimes strength can negate technique. Maybe he is one of those guys. Again, good for him.

No, he did not. BJ left Parillo for that camp and was with some weird dude in Hawaii.

Parillo may have been in the corner. But, he didn’t coach that camp.

1 Like

Ok. I guess what I’m processing. Is that in my “prime” he’s the type of guy I think I’d crush. Of course, those are big words considering that my prime was almost 20 years ago. Nowadays, due to many injuries from competing and training, I’m relegated to light weight lifting and kettlebell/battle rope workouts. Oh well… I guess the world will never know.

He has won ADCC twice dude lol. He isn’t some scrub. He does employ your typical fatman get on top and hold on type game and is definitely no Marcelo Garcia. He had some MMA fights as well I don’t think he lost. So not just a pure grappler he has cross trained.

But I’m not sure how you can make such a certain assessment of someone who you saw in a clinch for like 3 seconds and nothing on the ground.

5 Likes

Depends on how uke responds and a bit on how tori applies pressure. Can be elbow, shoulder or wrist. Looked like Strickland was grabbing his wrist right after, which happens when it’s loose and the arm gets retracted but not all the way.

Jointlocks are a different game when done ballistically and sorely underutilized in the UFC.

200% dock move

2 Likes

For a little additional context, Strickland is notorious for going hard in training. He was also talking shit to Orlando (you can hear them reference it in the video and Jason ask Orlando to go easy on him as they tie up). Orlando is a ultra heavy weight who has competed at the highest level for many years.

Was it a dick move by Orlando, yes. Is Strickland a dick in practice, yes. Are they training partners outside of this interaction, no.

In short, you get what you get if that’s how you want to be in training.

5 Likes

All that context is interesting, but doesn’t change the bottom line (as you acknowledge). There are plenty of acceptable ways to rough up someone in practice or be a gym enforcer. A move designed to injure is not one of them.

11 Likes

How crazy would it be if this affects Strickland in his next fight…
Audrey Whitby Reaction GIF by AwesomenessTV

4 Likes