Fighters who never lived up to the hype?

Dreville79 - No mention of Houston Alexander? Dude looked like he was gonna be a killer. A lot of people seem to not have a clue what constitutes being successful. People saying Bisping? A top ten Middleweight for how many years? Phone Post 3.0

Being successful =/= Lived up to the hype

I actually think Bisping is the perfect example of someone who hasn't lived up to the hype. Has he been successful? Absolutely. No question. But the fact is that ever since he dropped to MW he was hyped as being a title contender. And he never once fought for the title. I don't think many thought he'd actually beat Anderson, but I know many thought he'd at least fight for the title one day. But every time he has come close, he's lost (Hendo, Chael, Vitor, Kennedy). That's not living up to the hype IMO.

jeeze guys

Houston Alexander

Galanis -

Justin Lawrence

Yeah I never understood what happen to him he was a killer on TUF hope he can find his winning ways again he got I. The UFC to early I think . Phone Post 3.0

KingMeNow - Wow. No mention of these two. Dunham and Oliver's. Those guys had mma hardcore's saying these two are future champs. Especially Dunham after the sherk fight Phone Post 3.0
Came here to say Dunham he was going to be the next big thing then the WEC came to the UFC and the LW div was one if the biggest and more talented . Phone Post 3.0

RJJH -
Andrew S - Karo Parisyan and Melvin Guillard both looked like a future champions but personal failures and a lack of improvement seemed to kill that possibility for both of them.

Karo's story is fucking brutal. I feel really bad for that guy.

What's his story other than opiate addiction?

I seriously don't know Phone Post 3.0

hOMAsexualforShields (tm) -
RJJH -
Andrew S - Karo Parisyan and Melvin Guillard both looked like a future champions but personal failures and a lack of improvement seemed to kill that possibility for both of them.

Karo's story is fucking brutal. I feel really bad for that guy.

What's his story other than opiate addiction?

I seriously don't know Phone Post 3.0
I think he had anxiety issues I'm not to sure . Phone Post 3.0

YourStoryisCoolBro -
Steve Perry - Dave Terrell
Renato Verrisimo (sp)
Can't believe this David Terrell thread made it to page 2 before David Terrell was mentioned Phone Post 3.0
I hope Dave doesn't see this but gotta agree.

He was a GOD in the gym. DESTROYED everyone. I could name names, but never would.

Personally seen him wreck shop on the biggest names in the business but under the lights he couldn't bring it all together Phone Post 3.0

I am sure this will get me voted down but Nick Diaz in his UFC return. Everyone said he would out box GSP and any one in the UFC. He got out struck in both the Condit and GSP fights. Everyone said he could sub GSP on the ground. He had no answer at all on the ground for GSP. 

Some of the great mentions in this thread

Vera

Huerta

Terrell

Guillard

Karo

Houston Alexander

diego sanchez looked like he was gonna go very far in the sport

yeah he beat diaz and fought for a belt, but he never seemed to be top notch after all

Eric Silva is definitely on the list.

He is 30 and has lost to every top 10 oponent he has faced. He isn't going to be a top contender.

Vinny malhagles, you all know who I mean I can't bloody spell it. Phone Post 3.0

David Loiseau Phone Post 3.0

epwar -

Michael Bisping

Mayhem Miller

Jonathan Brookins

Jake Shields

Akiyama

Great list. Brandon Vera never really made the impact that he should of in the UFC either. Phone Post

yeah wtf ever happened to David Louiseau?he was a killer at one time, then Franklin fight, then never the same...

Bry Bry - yeah wtf ever happened to David Louiseau?he was a killer at one time, then Franklin fight, then never the same...
PEDS killed his cardio. Sad because he had the skills. Phone Post 3.0

Yushin Okami Phone Post 3.0

Kendall Grove Phone Post 3.0

Maybe it's more of a case of unreasonable expectations/poor handicapping on my part rather than failed hype but Joe Lauzon. I thought he was going to be at least a perennial top contender. I didn't know if he'd ever be the champ but I would have bet that he'd have had at least one title shot by now.

Jack Skellington - Mark Kerr could have been one of the best of all time. Could have.
This is what I came to say. Phone Post 3.0