Foam roller is a life saver!

Thanks Martinez and the others guys that responded. I'm going to use it more regularly, gave it a good fifteen minutes last night and we'll see what happens. Nothing to lose by trying!

Leigh - the IT band thing is interesting. i had a sore knee from running and my physio said the same thing. he has this metal grip thing that is plastic coated and he "massaged" the outside of my thigh to loosen it off and it worked[/quote

SEEEEEEE!!! lol

For that alone its worth $20 imo

I always thought it was stupid until the marathon chick got me one.

Excellent info. Thank you everyone.

I squeeze a lacrosse ball underneath my chin, under my arm pits and behind my knees. Also use it to roll out my feet. All of them work wonders.

You guys have convinced me to give this a try.

Assuming I don't make my own, are they all pretty much created equal? I found some at Dick's Sporting Goods last night for $30-$40, which seemed high for just some plastic and foam.

Also, should I make my own, is there a certain range of diameter I should go with?

Thanks for any help.

MikeD - You guys have convinced me to give this a try.

Assuming I don't make my own, are they all pretty much created equal? I found some at Dick's Sporting Goods last night for $30-$40, which seemed high for just some plastic and foam.

Also, should I make my own, is there a certain range of diameter I should go with?

Thanks for any help.

I just bought a 2 foot long, 4 inch diameter PVC drain pipe at the local hardware store. Cost like 4 bucks. Basically a foam-roller is that, just covered in a softer material. I personally like not having the soft stuff - just the pipe hurts more, but I always feel like it loosens the knots better.

Even walking has been a chore for me for years due to extreme stiffness and even pain in my hips ,lower back and hips.I get treated by chiro and straightened out the severe pain in back but the muscles have always felt stale and overtrained even when time was taken off.I'm sure decades of overtraining is the culprit.

Been using The Stick for years and I like it as it can be carried around easily but the roller is taking it to a new level.Got one last week after seeing them around and reading about them.Been using it every chance I get whether before work,before training,after training,while watching TV,etc.Woke up the last couple of mornings for the first time in years without "heavy ,crazy sore legs".I hope these results continue.I really enjoy being able to bend my leg without it feeling like a chore.I also enjoy walking without it being literally 10X more difficult than it should be.

Actually has me motivated to really fight train after a 6 month hiatus.Thanks UG for leading me to make the decision to buy one.

daddyo4, you should mess around with taking naps on a hardwood floor without a pillow and lying flat on your back.

you should also try dropping grains, dairy, wheat and sugar from your diet for a couple of weeks and see how you feel.

both might help you out.

Vegard, was it you that started the thread on sleeping on a hardwood floor? Can you link it up here please?

Fight! UK Online - Vegard, was it you that started the thread on sleeping on a hardwood floor? Can you link it up here please?

This one?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=1668598&page=1

I eat really good when training.If I cut out all that stuff what carb source would I be using for energy?

When training I eat a bowl or two a day of old fasion oat meal with a splash of milk,whey protein or chicken bresats through the day every 3 hours,veggies , and if weight is good I treat myself to 8 oz skim milk with whey protein and a scoop of peanut butter.Is this too much of those foods?

Thanks for the info!

fight, that's me. I started the sleeping on the floor thread. I still do it. Works great for me. My persistent back and neck pain have disappeared for the most part. I slept on the floor for about 3 months. Now I'm on a really thin, firm japanese futon that provides a little bit of cushion but no sag to mess with my posture.

I also started eating better. I stopped eating bread, pasta, wheat, tortillas, dairy and sugar. I eat mostly meat, fish, chicken, tons of veggies (especially leafy greens like kale and chard -- every meal), nuts, seeds, eggs and fruit.

I used to think eating like that was a bunch of bunk but I've been amazed at how much better I feel now. My joints are not so stiff, no swelling in the morning, better energy and mood, better fitness. I'm really surprised by the change. I considered my diet pretty good to begin with but I guess I was wrong.

Used to have sugar cravings after every meal. Now I don't. Went to Baskin Robbins with my dad and niece today and skipped getting an ice cream myself. First time I've ever done that. Not because I was trying hard to deny myself but it just didn't sound very good to me.

That's why I suggested daddyo try those two things. They've made a huge difference for me. Try it for a month. If you feel better, win. If not, go back to the old ways and nothing lost.

daddyo, try the diet change. Might help a lot. I'd say the dairy and peanuts might be a problem for you, also the oatmeal. Try eating leafy greens for every meal with some protein and mix in some fruits like blueberries, apples, grapefruit. Switch from peanut butter to almond butter. Don't get the pb with sugar in it.

Thanks Vegard, I'm seriously considering it. Nothing to lose. Got a couple of fights coming up in the next month so I'm not gonna change anything up right now, but when they're out of the way I'll give it a go.

Thanks vegard.My body does feel like a bag of stiffness and tendonitis.Although it has been feeling better the last week.

I guess its worth a try but I am going to miss the chocloate/peanut butter smoothies.

Will I be consuming enough calories to provide energy for training?

Do you eat these veggies raw?

ttt

I chow down. I'm surprised at the amount of food I eat. I have more energy during the day and in training than I used to. I also don't pack on ten lbs if I don't train for a week. I also don't get hungry like I used to.

I cook most of my veggies. Light saute or steam, some lemon and pepper.

Is the whey protein ok? I use it regularly due to its convenience and mix it with water or orange juice.

Are boiled potatoes or baked yams ok? What about bananas?

I think you have to find out whaat works best for you. I know several books say no to whey protein. Potatoes are a no, yams are ok. I love them and eat them regularly.juice is a no. Too much sugar.
I found that by not putting pressure on myself mentally to deny foods led to feeling better and then dropping foods like yogurt that I would have never agreed to give up at first.

For me personally, this was the first time I didi something nutritionally that I could really tell a big difference. I tried flax oil, glucosamine, apple cider vinegar, protein shakes, green shakes and could never tell much of a difference.

With this, the better I felt, the more I wanted to eat clean.