For everyone who wasted their time with BJJ, would you go back in time and take Sambo if offered?

You BJJ claiming your schools train Takedowns…I truly believe you…BUT 95% do not train live takedowns. It is drilling. Go to any local tournament and you will see exactly what I mean. Unless the BJJ player was a wrestler previously the TD’s are pathetic.

Kron has trained his whole life and looked like a crab scooting around on his butt looking for a takedown.

Enough said.

I’ve trained that a lot of gyms, and almost every single one, starts in the standing position with some kind of wrestling/Judo. Not sure where you train but you have to move lol.

3 Likes

facts

1 Like

What divisions are you talking about?

Anything below purple the takedowns will be garbage for anyone who didn’t wrestle

Above purple people shouldn’t have pathetic takedowns.

Some schools are different, but the takedowns at the advanced no gi brackets should look good

1 Like

crab scoot

3 Likes

Absolutely.

The gi creates a lot of problems.

On that note. Living with the cold northerners wear winter jackets 5-6 months of the year. Good to work on

1 Like

Just heel hook everyone

3 Likes

It’s kinda dumb to compare the best grapplers in the world with a typical recreation/ family school where 90+% of the students will probably NEVER compete at the lowest level.

Most BJJ student don’t compete.

Some schools (like mine) have a lot of older guys with careers & families and the big struggle is to just show up to class, at all. Comparing that to essentially pro athletes skills sets just doesn’t make sense, in the real world.

For me, a great student is someone with a decent attitude who consistently comes to class 3x a week. You teach them takedowns as best you can, in a way that suits them; we do them every class. But doing hard takedown sparring, I know from experience, is where MOST injuries come from. Bunch of old guys, many with current knee issues, going 100% on the feet is just not appropriate. There are ways to do drills, that are safe and student appropriate. You can go shot for shot with 25%, 50%, 75 % resistance. Stuff like that is great for people to develop takedowns. They will not be amazing, but they will have some very real level of takedown familiarity and skill.

IF they decide to compete, or god-forbid need to use it in real life, they have something useful there. But no, they’re not going to do takedowns like it’s Sambo-70. Check the average age of ANY room anywhere where people are doing high level wrestling, sambo, judo with hard throws. It’s not old guys for a reason.

But the point of martial arts has never been to develop a tiny group of elite athletes. It’s to improve the lives of regular people who train. And anybody can get a heck of a lot better at takedowns or anything else if they train in a way that suits them and their goals. The fact that they might not be as good as THE BEST FIGHTER on the planet, is obviously immaterial.

4 Likes

I’m 100% confident I could spiral fracture a tibia in uggs or winter boots. So much traction :star_struck:

1 Like

Unless you are a relatively high level fighter you’re not going to have much of advantage over any 200 lbs man in a street fight.

Anthony freaking Smith had fits against an untrained crackhead.

Then you have low level BJJ recreationists who think they’re going tear the streets up :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A street fight is more like BKFC with pavement slams.

A lot of people here act delusional about their abilities but then when called on don’t even want to show up against Trap Gambino.

1 Like

I’m yet to meet a ‘BJJ Recreationist’ who thinks they’re going to ‘tear the street up’’

That’s in YOUR head.

Your takes on BJJ just don’t jibe with reality. --Have YOU ever studied BJJ?

3 Likes

I know BJJ recreationalists who walk around like they’re Street Fighter characters :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Sounds like you’re projecting.

I don’t think I’m a Street Fighter character. What am I projecting?

A lot of weird strawman arguments, “Every BJJ guy thinks this, but they’re really that!”

1 Like

The point is BJJ is next to useless for self defence unless you have training in other areas and are extremely high level.

This probably offends most people here because they are neither.

2 Likes

It is clear that you are clueless Jack. You are arguing to argue and have never trained bjj.

1 Like

I’m one of the best minds for martial arts in the game.

Probably the best.

I have to admit, it’s pretty sad to read about the many, many BJJ guys getting murdered on the street each week. It can be demoralizing.

3 Likes

What are your credentials? How many students have you had? What did you teach?

1 Like