Forrest Griffin Already Back In The Gym

jjj2121 - The orgs need to start docking pay for guys/girls that run away and hide postfight, that's part of the show and it's unprofessional.

jjj2121 -  I am NOT advocating fining Forrest or Gina for hiding postfight at their recent fights, because to my knowledge they weren't contractually obligated to do so. 
My god this confusion! 

Forrest's one testicle is bigger and more powerful than all ours combined.

I have no idea what training for that long and then getting crushed must feel like. I was disappointed that he didn't speak for so long afterwards even if there wasn't much he could say. But that was more because I wanted to know the guy was ok more than anything else. He is paid to fight, he fought.

Hopefully he will be back to his usual funny self in no time.

It shouldn't be regulated by the organization. Going into their respective fights I think it's fair to say that both Forrest and Gina were two of the more beloved fighters out there.

Coming off their performances, plus not sticking around to face the music after the loss has hurt their reputations. Barring injury fighters should be sticking around after fights if nothing more to acknowledge their fans, the people who ultimately pay to see them perform. I think it was bad judgement by both of them, and if they continue to make those mistakes, their public image will suffer even more. They lose popularity, they lose money, it's pretty simple really.

Let public opinion dictate the consequences for those who aren't brave enough to discuss their wins AND their losses.

Forrest had a fucking horrible night and probably went into the back and cried uncontrollably. If he would have hung around in the cage crying, this guy would be on here complaining about that too.

You know he did take a beating from Anderson Silva that night?

If he doesn't wanna stick around after that, that's Forrest's business. He stepped up and fought Anderson, and thats what I paid my 44.95 for.

I hope Griffin comes back better than ever, judging by his history thats exactly what will happen. I'm NOT going to judge this guy because of a bad night in the cage against Anderson.

2 Jups, I have much respect for you and your views on this brother.

MNFAN - It shouldn't be regulated by the organization. Going into their respective fights I think it's fair to say that both Forrest and Gina were two of the more beloved fighters out there.

Coming off their performances, plus not sticking around to face the music after the loss has hurt their reputations. Barring injury fighters should be sticking around after fights if nothing more to acknowledge their fans, the people who ultimately pay to see them perform. I think it was bad judgement by both of them, and if they continue to make those mistakes, their public image will suffer even more. They lose popularity, they lose money, it's pretty simple really.

Let public opinion dictate the consequences for those who aren't brave enough to discuss their wins AND their losses.

Right. And if enough people actually care, and the fighter cares about public opinion in its own right, or the backlash is actually significant enough to affect the fighter's income, maybe they will do things differently. But as things are, neither Gina or Forrest are going to have any fewer viewers next time because of a stupid interview.

fiercedragon - if these people want to be taken seriously as the professional athletes they claim to be, you show up for the post fight...you can skip all the crap w/ariel,crazy zim(no offense) and everybody else...

None taken.  I never claimed that I was a journalist.  I'm just some youtube MMA comedian who certain industry people like and I have been granted a lot of access to the fighters.  I'm still amazed by the whole thing actually.

To your point, however.  Fighters are interested in hyping upcoming fights.  If they can get 100k hits on a youtube interview, like Thiago Alves got with me before the GSP fight, why not?  After the fight, after a loss, there really is nothing to hype, is there?

Who exactly do they want to be "taken seriously" by that they shouldn't get some visibility on Youtube? 

Name a person that Thiago wants respect from that he should have said: No, can't do this interview, Garv.  Person X will not take me seriously anymore.

Can you name person X?

JOB - 
jjj2121 - 

What I am trying to say is that the UFC should add that to the standard contract, and they would have every legal right to do so. I'm not saying Forrest should be fined for bailing on 101, because it was not in his contract to my knowledge. I'm talking about moving forward.

Adding this to contracts would prevent this sort of amateur behavior, I mean really...running out of the cage back to the dressing room? It doesn't get much more embarrassing than that. And I'm talking about main eventers and co-main eventers only, those are the ones who are getting compensated the most and are promoted the hardest.

So you've completely not taken onboard anything I've said about the impact a loss can do to someone? You completely disregard that someone might just not to talk after being humiliated in front of millions of people?

I went out for lunch, didn't want you to think I was ignoring this...

Losing a fight must suck, I understand that. But it is in the best interest of Forrest Griffin's employer for him to say a few words about his thoughts on the fight...and if he is medically able to do so, as a 30 year old grown man, he should be able to nut up and handle that.

Like I said, it's not required in his contract as far as I know, I am just suggesting it should be. I for one would have liked to heard what he thought about the fight, and I do not think I am alone.

Morgz - 
jjj2121 - The orgs need to start docking pay for guys/girls that run away and hide postfight, that's part of the show and it's unprofessional.
jjj2121 -  I am NOT advocating fining Forrest or Gina for hiding postfight at their recent fights, because to my knowledge they weren't contractually obligated to do so. 
My god this confusion! 

What is confusing? I said they should START fining them, adding it to FUTURE contracts. Obviously you can enforce a new contractual clause on a past fight/event.

I'm just slow and guess I thought those two points were contradicting.  I think your clarification makes sense.

Morgz -  I'm just slow and guess I thought those two points were contradicting.  I think your clarification makes sense.

I think that's why I got some of the reaction I did originally, people thought I was saying that the orgs should fine them for what they did, and that's not what I meant. I think they should start adding it to contracts to prevent it from happening in the future. Gina was THE central figure of the Strikeforce show to 90% of the people tuned in, you don't think the audience wanted to hear what she had to say postfight?

All major sports do it (yes I know they don't get punched in the face, but again, if the punches leave you medically unable to give a quick comment or answer some questions, then fine), boxers do it when they lose, I see no reason why it shouldn't be expected/required of main event fighters.

There's already like 50 threads on the same topic...NEXT!

Crazy Zimmerman - either.  Are you really trying to compare basketball to MMA?

Yeah, God forbid pointing on the discrepencies in professionalism between a mainstream professional sports org where athletes are well paid and recognized the world over to one that aspires to get to their org and athletes to that point.

As long as fans continue to make excuses for fighters lack of professionalism (Diaz fans check in here) MMA revenues (and thus fighter's salaries) will continue to be not much more than a rounding error to the other sports orgs/athletes of the world.

Yeah I get what you are saying.  I like hearing the post fight interviews myself, and would not be against having it mandatory / in the contract for Main Eventers & Co Main Eventers.  I think your choice of words may have put some folks off too (the crying take your ball and go home stuff).  It's all good though.  I can't say I disagree with your main reason for the thread.

In a sport where you attempt to make the other guy tap out due to strikes, I think the definition of "professionalism" has to be modified. The sport isn't comparable to basketball. It's an individual and violent sport.

2JupitersTooMany - In a sport where you attempt to make the other guy tap out due to strikes, I think the definition of "professionalism" has to be modified. The sport isn't comparable to basketball. It's an individual and violent sport.

These guys are professional athletes, it's what they do for a living. Dana's made no secret he wants to go mainstream and be "bigger than the NFL and soccer". You need your athletes acting like professionals.

Is it a huge deal in the grand scheme of things? Not really. Do I think it would be better for all parties involved if the stipulation was implemented? Absolutely.

jjj2121 - 
JOB - 
jjj2121 - 

What I am trying to say is that the UFC should add that to the standard contract, and they would have every legal right to do so. I'm not saying Forrest should be fined for bailing on 101, because it was not in his contract to my knowledge. I'm talking about moving forward.

Adding this to contracts would prevent this sort of amateur behavior, I mean really...running out of the cage back to the dressing room? It doesn't get much more embarrassing than that. And I'm talking about main eventers and co-main eventers only, those are the ones who are getting compensated the most and are promoted the hardest.

So you've completely not taken onboard anything I've said about the impact a loss can do to someone? You completely disregard that someone might just not to talk after being humiliated in front of millions of people?

Losing a fight must suck, I understand that. But it is in the best interest of Forrest Griffin's employer for him to say a few words about his thoughts on the fight...and if he is medically able to do so, as a 30 year old grown man, he should be able to nut up and handle that.

Like I said, it's not required in his contract as far as I know, I am just suggesting it should be. I for one would have liked to heard what he thought about the fight, and I do not think I am alone.

People react to things in different ways. He probably didn't purposely intend to run out, but it was his first instinct to escape the distraught from losing. You don't know how he grew up and how he reacts to negative things in his life. What's right for you might not be right for him.

Drop it.

JOB - 
jjj2121 - 
JOB - 
jjj2121 - 

People react to things in different ways. He probably didn't purposely intend to run out, but it was his first instinct to escape the distraught from losing. You don't know how he grew up and how he reacts to negative things in his life. What's right for you might not be right for him.

Drop it.

Forrest does take a loss harder than most, that much is for sure.

So his quick escape from the octagon is explained. What's the problem?

JOB - So his quick escape from the octagon is explained. What's the problem?

I don't think that's a valid excuse, he's an extremely well compensated professional athlete, losing is a part of the sport.