GSP's wrestling ?

Hey guys,

listen, I just read a post here from last night, I don't know how I missed it. I'm not going to quote it or even mention the post/the person who posted. I just want to say the following and I hope it will help others

Often times i forget how important one's opinion on here is to others. I forget how much power some of us have over some people on this. Many times a mere stating of one's views, can really anger or upset others. We that that profound affect on other people's lives. I know that may seem silly, perhaps even ridiculous, but I'm going to urge you all, please consider, we don't know what others are enduring or how important you or I may be to them.

As it pertains to me, please guys do not change a thing. I thoroughly enjoy the banter, the spirited debate, the attacks, jokes, slams, and especially the challenges. This has become my #1 source for entertainment, I hardly even watch the fights. I missed my 6th UFC event in a row last night and I hear it was atrocious.

Again, please be considerate of those who may be suffering or enduring a battle we know nothing about. Instead, direct it at me, I can handle it just fine and I am thoroughly entertained by it, anyways.

Springsguy - If it helps all of these arguments, GSP did actually train with Gia Sissaouri, an Olympic silver medalist, and other members of the Canadian Olympic team (p.s. wrestlers have to qualify for the olympics - not just qualify for the team). "Back in the day" reports were that while GSP was not an Olympic level wrestler, he was certainly not embarrassed and could hold his own. Another important fact to remember about high level international wrestling, often times, the 8th place finisher may lose to the gold medalist 3-2, yet, 10 times out of 10, the person winning the gold would beat the 8th place person...Moral of the story: wrestling is hard and there is very little margin for error when achieving greatness. Asking someone who doesn't do it full time, and who hasn't done it full time to be "great" is pretty much impossible. That's not a knock on GSP's wrestling, maybe more of a compliment to what he was able to accomplish given his late start. Phone Post 3.0

This is a very good point. A common misconception, is GSP has no formal wrestling back ground. That could not be further from the truth. GSP has had elite, high level training for years. We're talking personal, dedicated, training. You could wrestle for 15 years from youth on, and not get the training he's received. He didn't just stumble out of bed, and fall into the double leg position, he ha been training with elite guys since before most of us even heard of him.

Here's a relevant link regarding his actual wrestling training, team, partners, experience.
I wrote it when people were saying stupid stuff like "The Canadian Olympic Team wants him to try out". It doesn't work that way. This article got a TON of hits and got reposted on a bunch of different forums.
http://topmmanews.com/2010/01/11/breaking-down-gsps-olympic-dream/ Phone Post 3.0

PFFT GSP is just a schmuck who went into MMA was one of the few to actually make millions became one of the first cross over stars in the sport got huge endorsements is widely recognized as his divisions GOAT and all WHILE becoming and being considered as one of the best MMA wrestlers to ever step in the cage..

so yea If he had trained it exclusively from a young age with the caliber of talent he has the access to now.... he would have probably had some serious success.

It's fair to say that he would have been very elite. Phone Post 3.0

Billyz - PFFT GSP is just a schmuck who went into MMA was one of the few to actually make millions became one of the first cross over stars in the sport got huge endorsements is widely recognized as his divisions GOAT and all WHILE becoming and being considered as one of the best MMA wrestlers to ever step in the cage..

so yea If he had trained it exclusively from a young age with the caliber of talent he has the access to now.... he would have probably had some serious success.

Well yes, that's rather obvious, but the thing is, he wasn't going to be training with Olympians and world champions at a very young age, that just was not going to happen.

Sure, if that were the case, we'd all have a great shot at high level success. Given what his actual situation was, not rich, not an exceptional athlete, and from all accounts, from humble beginnings, how would he have fared had he trained at the local high school and had decent to average training partners, is a lot more realistic scenario.

Yes, if they placed him in a Russian lab and gave him every experimental program available, I think we can all agree he might have been the next Aaron Pico.

bbomber - Here's a relevant link regarding his actual wrestling training, team, partners, experience.
I wrote it when people were saying stupid stuff like "The Canadian Olympic Team wants him to try out". It doesn't work that way. This article got a TON of hits and got reposted on a bunch of different forums.
http://topmmanews.com/2010/01/11/breaking-down-gsps-olympic-dream/ Phone Post 3.0

Good article.

Fight4Food - Into the ground* Phone Post 3.0

I have to agree

Best in the world at "wrestling for mma"

not the same as amateur wrestling.

might be able to compete but tough to say how he would do.

lionsoul - 

Best in the world at "wrestling for mma"

not the same as amateur wrestling.

might be able to compete but tough to say how he would do.

It's a much different game, the international wrestling vs mma wrestling. I wish we had gotten to see him give it a try.

"the IV is used to mask the use of PED's. He failed."

yet a well known masking agent for "you know who" is a needed medicine....that wasn't applied for till after caught. Bj told them and it was because the flow was greater than allowed, not the agent in it. Wasn't even a prohibited substance.
"for this hypothetical",

nice you use them when you want to reduce them to nothing when you don't want to answer them, lol.

and of course you accuse someone who never got popped a cheater when someone who did get popped twice is not.... had to add that.

I don't want to derail, just some interesting observations, carry on.

Fight4Food - Gsp vs henrix first fight it was like athele versus a alpha man, gsp rocked outwrestled still somehow judges scored for gsp Phone Post 3.0

he was definitley out juiced. I was actuallu in row 19 and in no way did roidedricks win that fight.

The guy that GSP fought in his UFC debut was a heralded wrestler and St Pierre just ragdolled him all over the Octagon.

Then he handled heralded wrestler FRANK TRIGG and manhandled him although Trigg claims he had a knee injury which I would believe in the way Trigg did wrestling GSP

fightsfan - Then he handled heralded wrestler FRANK TRIGG and manhandled him although Trigg claims he had a knee injury which I would believe in the way Trigg did wrestling GSP

But could he have done that in wrestling? That's what we're discussing here.

My neighbor easily beats me in thumb wrestling. I easily beat him in a freestyle bout. Sure he can beat me in a form of wrestling (thumb) but how about at the real thing? GSP was phenomenal at MMA take downs. Could he wrestle though? Could he beat the top wrestlers at wrestling?

SinCityHustler - 
fightsfan - Then he handled heralded wrestler FRANK TRIGG and manhandled him although Trigg claims he had a knee injury which I would believe in the way Trigg did wrestling GSP

But could he have done that in wrestling? That's what we're discussing here.

My neighbor easily beats me in thumb wrestling. I easily beat him in a freestyle bout. Sure he can beat me in a form of wrestling (thumb) but how about at the real thing? GSP was phenomenal at MMA take downs. Could he wrestle though? Could he beat the top wrestlers at wrestling?

Going about even with Hendricks in MMA wrestling and outwrestling Kos is easily the most impressive thing he ever did in MMA wrestling.

But SCH is right. Just as Cael Sanderson's ankle pick can't be seen without his hand-fighting, GSP's double can't be seen without his punches.

We haven't seen his double without punches. So we can only speculate.

Fujkm - 
"the IV is used to mask the use of PED's. He failed."

yet a well known masking agent for "you know who" is a needed medicine....that wasn't applied for till after caught. Bj told them and it was because the flow was greater than allowed, not the agent in it. Wasn't even a prohibited substance.
"for this hypothetical",

nice you use them when you want to reduce them to nothing when you don't want to answer them, lol.

and of course you accuse someone who never got popped a cheater when someone who did get popped twice is not.... had to add that.

I don't want to derail, just some interesting observations, carry on.

Penn got busted.

Cyborg has been exonerated.

Why would I include her when she got cleared?

fightsfan - The guy that GSP fought in his UFC debut was a heralded wrestler and St Pierre just ragdolled him all over the Octagon.

Karo was awesome, very entertaining and highly technical. I wouldn't call him a wrestler though, much less a heralded wrestler.

There is no question GSP out MMA wrestled very good wrestlers.

DarkPlace Daz -
Fight4Food - Hendrix* Phone Post 3.0
Try again... Phone Post 3.0
Jimi?

chael said something like theres 5 moves u need to be a good mma wrestler (and thats why some guys in mma beat actual wrestlers), but actual wrestling has far more moves