How a belt promo should be! (video

Jeezus, next thing you know you guys will be handing out Kleenex. That shit wasn't bad. You should have seen when these two guys got their belts after a local tourny. The line was probably 40 deep.

Why is everyone so pussyfied about this? It doesn't hurt that bad kiddies. Man up.

Ahh..not as bad as getting paddled in college.

Used to do it with barbed wire at my school

TTT

here is a pic of me after mine at cesar gracie academy
http://myspace-317.vo.llnwd.net/00667/71/38/667908317_l.jpg

here is vid of one at cesar gracie's academy, notice the broom and some people using their hands instead of belts lol
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4GHNP8FDE2Y

most people put knots in there belt and wet them. dan black is usually at the end of the line with gloves on giving you a good combo. Last week he held someone down as everyone beat him with belts as he reached 1 side of the line... lol

Crazy Tim Credeur lets them whack you as much as they want, but you can move as fast as you want. But right before you start he says, "The slower you walk, the harder you are." So everyone inches through getting whacked

Not me, I do a slow jog. Guess I'm a puss. Ahh yes, a puss, but a puss with not as sore a back!

For Persia. Damn them fools had it out for you!!!

We never have done the belt slapping for the guantlet.

We just have the person roll continuously with every person starting with white belts all the way to the instructor. everyone is fresh.

I think this tests your heart and will not to give up more than walking through the belt whips.

Tests your heart? Getting your belt is what is the true test of heart. The test was the last year or two that you just put in so that you can get a new belt.

lol@rolling with everyone being a test of heart. You should be doing that anyway.

persia, we used to do the same thing, bare handed slaps on the back - sometimes i think my hand hurt as much as the guy's back - that may have helped with moderation

anonymousone said:

"We just have the person roll continuously with every person starting with white belts all the way to the instructor. everyone is fresh.

I think this tests your heart and will not to give up"

Ronald McDojo said:

"lol@rolling with everyone being a test of heart. You should be doing that anyway."

My objection to belt whipping is I find it demeaning to the individual.

Sparring or rolling with people to the point of exhaustion makes more sense to me.

To Ron McDojo's point, should you be rolling to the point of exhaustion during every training session? I don't think so - some training sessions are tough and some aren't. You can't go full blast 100% of the time day in and day out over and over and over.

good stuff :-)

I hope Gurgel doesn't promote Rich Franklin anytime soon.  Franklin would be out another 6 months after that.

Some good points juszczec. I can see where some people would find it demeaning. Especially if that is the first one they have witnessed.

If you train every week for years, you get to know people like your brothers. Everyone is such good buddies at this point that no one thinks about it.

I don't know, I've "grown up" in BJJ by this method so it's kinda' bore into me. I know no other way to get a belt but to walk the gauntlet.

Crazy Tim Credeur lets them whack you as much as they want, but you can move as fast as you want. But right before you start he says, "The slower you walk, the harder you are." So everyone inches through getting whacked

Yeah... I know how that feels. I was just promoted a few months ago by Javier Vazquez. Who is an old school friend of Crazy Tim's. Had to walk slowly through it twice. Well worth it in the end.

We would do the same thing in the Marine Corps when promoted everyone who had a higher rank than you (that white belt hitting me shit would not fly)got to slug you on the arm and pound your rank insignias (without backings) into your chest. Some traditions are meant to bond the participants some are meant to humiliate, I personally see nothing wrong with the belt gauntlet, other than the white belts, but for everyone is different and BJJ is not the military.

I ran the gauntlet when i got promoted to blue belt at Ralph Gracies. Wasnt fun, and it hurt like hell. I took special note of those people who took sadistic pleasure in hitting me harder than they should have. I made sure i repaid those guys on the mat. "Oh..you didnt tap did you? Oh.sorry about that..i guess i didnt feel you tap".

Ghey

I would not go through it for mma/bjj but i would for softball....