How come no high level Indian MMA fighters?

Watched my son wrestle at police/fire world games in LA a few years ago. India brought several members from their national team - they were very good. Cheated quite a bit, but they wrestled well.

'Or are some countries better run than others with more opportunities'

Answered your own question op

Dangerousdoug - 
Vale_Tudo_83 - 

It cost a lot of money to train in places where it's not very common.  

And of the Japanese? A few guys who could hang. Never the very best. Im just curious. Not trying to be racist.

This is the real question esp considering not just the history of martials arts and MMA but the fact that Japan still fields world champ boxers, wrestlers, kickboxers, full contact karate, and of course are still #1 in judo (which is one of the most popular combat sports world wide). But absolutely suck ass at MMA now. Will write a thread on this one day.

1 Like

Any sport that isn’t Cricket is a very, very low priority for Indians.

Their terrible Olympic record speaks for itself.

Dangerousdoug -
Vikingknee -

My apt complex is full of Indians. Can’t imagine even a single one throwing a punch. 

So is it possible different races have different attributes? Or do i deserve to be cancelled for even suggesting a thing?

There's no such thing as race. According to some....or something. 

Sorry if I offended anyone. Was moreso curious than anything with wrestling being such a big part of their culture. Cheers.

Pacifist by nature.  Northern indiana would probably be more suited to fight but aren't encouraged to go into any sports at all. 

danggook - 

Pacifist by nature.  Northern indiana would probably be more suited to fight but aren't encouraged to go into any sports at all. 

Wrestling is quite popular in Punjab.

hyperfire -

India is just starting getting into MMA and the general public there doesn't have the excitement for combat sports

They are nuts about wrestling, legitimate, not the wwf kind. It's a big part of their culture, an indian wrestling chick is doing pretty well in one, i believe it is. I think it was ray elbe that was teaching there some years ago. i just remember him posting a picture of a seminar he gave and there being a rediculously hot indian chick with a nike swoosh t-shirt

the muslim and Sikhs are both a very wrestling oriented bunch. The great gama was an indian muslim. they had one sport that was mma but with crescent bladed gloves. That's where the so-called "indian death lock" comes from, finishing off the imobilized opponent with the bladed glove. A spike thru the brain stem

Arjan Bhullar is a wrestler from Canada who competes in MMA. His father was a wrestler from India who immigrated to Canada.

He went 3-1 in the UFC and is now in ONE.

He is sikh.

1 Like

this was the chick i was thinking of

https://youtu.be/rnta_DodrPs

Great topic I am enjoying discussions of very much!

And please sirs, as we are talking, could you tell me are you gentlemen the ones empowered by your employers to make decision on purchasing toner for you copiers…?

1 Like

I spent 6+ months in India. Both living there, and also traveling.

There are a lot of factors at play. First, as has already been mentioned numerous times, sports such as cricket are much more popular.

Second, Indian wrestling does exist. I even attended a practice and was going to wrestle but they said I got there too late to wrestle, but they let me workout with them (swinging huge clubs around, Persian style). I watched a coach wrestle with a younger wrestle and he had pretty solid technique. I’m not sure how my Western wrestling would have translated to dirt wrestling but I would have loved to find out!

Third, the diet there is terrible when it comes to sports. Almost all dudes are either fat, skinny, or skinny fat except when they roid. Roids are available without a prescription and you can get a cycle for like $10 or so, I have been told. I hit gyms throughout the country and have seen it all. In one gym they wouldn’t let me wear shoes (!), and noobs were dropping weights left and right. Another dude gave me a diet suggestion for gaining muscle: butter and almonds. Getting enough protein without the commensurate carbs and fat was tough. I wound up cooking every day, and would have to go to poultry shops where they would kill the bird you choose right in front of you. One place was full of flies and blood all over. Overall, it’s a super interesting country. Also, the success in Freestyle wrestling is recent, and I think it came right after they hired a Georgian coach. Also, I think one of their stellar wrestlers popped for PEDs.

1 Like

We are not all the same, we are not all equal.

Some races and even nations do better at different activities.

Indians don't do well at any combat sport, more or less.

In general, Asians lose to the other races as well but they can still be quite skillful.

The only skills that matter are wrestling, punching and some bjj. We never needed the Eastern Martial Arts, as cool as they are.

If none of the races shared their various skill bases, I would guess whites would dominate combat.

Blacks are very athletic but the skills they ultimately have learned are all from the other races. They get coached by the other races. We all know, without the coaches, there are no quality fighters.

The two dominant combat races are whites and blacks.

jahbulon - 

We are not all the same, we are not all equal.

Some races and even nations do better at different activities.

Indians don't do well at any combat sport, more or less.

In general, Asians lose to the other races as well but they can still be quite skillful.

The only skills that matter are wrestling, punching and some bjj. We never needed the Eastern Martial Arts, as cool as they are.

If none of the races shared their various skill bases, I would guess whites would dominate combat.

Blacks are very athletic but the skills they ultimately have learned are all from the other races. They get coached by the other races. We all know, without the coaches, there are no quality fighters.

The two dominant combat races are whites and blacks.

34 posts since 2014. What percent have been race science?

As has been stated, popularity drives sports. Eventually there will be more Indian fighters, and that will hopefully lead to more kids being interested. The majority of top fighters go to central hubs for specific training. There are lots a Dagestani wrestlers training internationally. Lots of Asian guys are currently on team alpha Male. It won't be an overnight thing.

Lots of misunderstanding in this thread. Indians wil eventually produce some top MMA fighters due to sheers numbers but in general MMA is not popular with the majority of Indians. The problem is that you have a perspective that MMa is this big thing. In the realm of global sports it is small fish. It is an entertainment vehicle and many countries on the whole are not flocking to it.

In india, in many parts, things like wrestling, are for uneducated villagers and lower caste people, at least historically. Punjab Sikh do wrestling but the vast majority of Indian males do not outside of a few school classes.

Most people are also too poor to have their children go do these things and get injured.

1 Like

I used to have a consultant that worked for me

on a project that was Punjabi and was 6’8” and a  ducking huge dude that ran 3-4 miles a day. If that man wanted to fight he would’ve been fucking crazy tough.

They are too busy gang raping and murdering the local children to find time to train.